Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rack Mounting

K1UO Larry
K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
There is a need to consolidate equipment at a rented remote space.   Any suggestions as to a rack that would hold a Flex6600,  PGXL  (possible Flex Tuner :)) and a DLI 120/240V power **** and an 8 position 12V DC power distribution panel.....  Plus misc power supplies, rotor control  etc.   I think the misc stuff could fit on a couple rack mtd shelves.    What is a good source for racks to mount equipment?  Any recommendations appreciated.
Thanks es 73,  Larry  K1UO

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Larry - I’ve done a series of posts on racks and my own Flex-6000 rack project. https://k9zw.wordpress.com/?s=Rack+ 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Do you know how many U rack you need? Each U is 1.75 inches.

eBay is probably your best bet.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Remember to account for feet, cooling spaces, space to lift over any shelf raised lip, and avoid layouts that incorrectly bridge attachments over the purposely slightly irregular spacing on racks. I bought my parts from Amazon and a couple computer online places as when shipping was factored in the prices were the same or lower than eBay while the shipping was quicker and the ability to return anything that wasn’t going to work increased. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    This is what I chose to do, between the shelf from Lowes and the 2 Harbor Freight moving dollys to make it rollable $110.

18" x 36" shelves  72" tall

They sell differant sizes, along the opposite wall I have the same only in 24" x 48" shelves to store unused radio gear.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-in-H-x-36-in-W-x-18-in-D-5-Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000525

https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-in-H-x-48-in-W-x-24-in-D-5-Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000527

• Everett Simonds
    edited July 2019
    Larry:

I took my time and waited for a deal on Craigslist.  I found a nice HP G2 server cabinet in good shape.  the cabinet with all of the side panels, front and both rear doors was less that $200.00.  A while later I found a seller that had about 200 vented, 175 pound rated, adustable StarTech (IIRC) shelves at a good price; I think I bought eight of them for around $30 each.  Navepoint also has pretty good prices on shelves, blanking panels etc.  I found a genuine HP bonding kit for the cabinet on eBay for around $25.00 as well as black cage nuts and screws.

This is it, still in progress, without the doors or side panels attached:

Regards.

Everett
    KE5MMT
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    OK.  Good ideas shared and appreciated guys.  Thanks as this will get this project off the ground I hope!

Regards,  Larry  k1UO
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Steve for sharing ...  most helpful at this stage of planning.
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I'm using a 12U case from BHPhoto.com ($159)(https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1260045-REG/auray_ers_12u_ers_12u_steel_equipment.html?sts=pi&pim=Y)
    to house my Flex 6400, under that, my Flex 3000, and under that, an Icom 7100 and two SS-30M supplies, a KPC-3, RemoteRig box, and Web Relay to switch between rigs/antennas, etc. Behind the 1U cover on top is a MacMini (running Windows10Pro) to run the whole shebang. 

• VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I’m using a home made rack at my Solar Powered Remote Shack.

Because of space limitations, I have bench mounted it on casters, pivoted on the right hand side back corner to gain easy access to the rear of the rack. The rack frame is made from hardware store slotted 1 inch angle with melamine wooden side panels and front rack mounting section from a salvaged rack.

While it is currently operational, it it still very much a work in progress!

Winston VK7WHimageimage
  • Charlie_KB8CR
    Charlie_KB8CR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    VERY nice setup, Winston !
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks Charlie, but I’ve still got a fair bit to do to finish it off. Although the IP Forward Control system is operational, I’ve only got basic monitoring at this stage. I guess it’s the old 80/20 rule - the last 20% of the work always takes 80% of the time! It’s been more than four years since I dug the first footing for the building (in shale rock with a crow bar)! A three and a half hour return trip each day I travel to the site doesn’t help, especially in the winter, but the shear beauty of the site combined with the ultra low noise makes it all worth while. God willing, I live long enough to actually get to use it during the upcoming Solar Cycle! 73 Winston
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Now that's pretty Winston.
    All of you have inspired a change in my shack.
    I have a 3 foot tall 19" rack I have used with my legacy radios but strictly for 3 PC's.
    I think a rearrangment with my 6600 in the rack is in order.
    Thank you gents!
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    In the middle of a racking project. Picture below is a snapshot. What I've learned so far:

Airflow and cable management need some planning. Lot of gear wants a free rack unit above or below to provide airflow. Not everything has a great spec showing fan placement, inlet vs outlet, max temp rise, etc. For cabling I have separate vertical areas assigned for AC, DC, Ethernet, Misc control (RS-232, dry contacts). Type 31 ferrites on everything. Cable clearance and radiusing eats up more rack space. RF patch cables are routed outside the rack on the backside for separation and to allow radiusing. Expect some trial-and-error 

Power - ended up with a 120V switched bus (for DCPS and Green Heron), 120V unswitched bus (for Ethernet switch PS), 220V switched bus (for PGXL). DC power also has 3 buses: Flex 6700 gets a dedicated feed from the PS, second feed to a Rig Runner 4008H for accessories and unswitched DC to the Ethernet switch.

Ground - copper bus bar that everything is bonded to.

Serial - I'm down to 3 serial devices: a K1EL winkeyer, the Green Heron and a PowerMaster. I'm still deciding whether I prefer the multiport serial converter or if I prefer a single port on each device. Both approaches have clearance issues. Shielded RS232 cables are bulky. Single port serial servers need about 4" of clearance behind the device.

Ethernet - lots of Ethernet and more coming. Flex, Antenna Genius, PGXL. No idea if Tuner Genius will have an Ethernet. In addition I have remote audio, serial control, and remote power switching.  Is STP better than UTP? I'm not sure, but I can't imagine where you'd use STP if it's not in a 1000W RF rack. 

20U isn't enough rack space for all this + a tuner. Planning to split into two racks, but not 100% sure what will end up in which rack to minimize cross-connects and RFI issues.

Top 8U rack is just an RF patch panel. Makes reconfiguring or patching around failures very easy. 

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    AwesomeWinston,  thanks for sharing.
  • KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭

I just took delivery of a Strong FS 27 vu rack.

Im not sure of where it will go but it will give me flexibility in location.

Is anyone running a wireless connection to a dynamic microphone?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.