Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400 working great on AM!

Kevin J. Darrah
Kevin J. Darrah Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
After some initial problems that went on, and on, and on... Lol... I was able to FINALLY get my Flex 6400 up and running, and modulating correctly on AM. Listening in both SAM and AM I was finally able to get rid of all the distortion, thinness, and less then stellar modulation. I could only get 50% without distortion on AM and the audio quite frankly ****. It was never right since I bought it back in March. 

All I can say... Invest in a good Mic Pre amp that works correctly. Along with my Electro-Voice RE 27, The Flex 6400 finally has a nice, smooth bottom end with some rich sibilance on the high end. (Not too much.. a little goes a long way)

SO I will have to apologize and retract some of my comments previously on how this thing worked on AM. I took a gamble on another Mic Pre-amp and it paid off. 

Comments

• Richy
    Richy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Congrats on the AM success. What preamp did you finally use ?
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mine doesnt work good on AM, what are your settings? Mike FHM2
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    edited July 2019
    Using a DBX **** processor... replaces a Behringer I was using. There's nothing wrong with Behringer, a lot of guys use their stuff, I just didn't have luck with it. I'm sure it was something faulty with it too begin with. 
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    edited July 2019
    That's kind of a hard question to answer since my Microphone, Pre Amp, Amplifier and frequency response of my voice are quite different from yours. The best thing I can suggest is opening up a 2nd slice, put your receive antenna too antenna 2, and do some listening while you make adjustments. 
  • W9HH - Steve
    W9HH - Steve Member
    edited July 2019
    So Kevin, I was curious about the model number on the DBX **** processor you decided on... 286s maybe?
    or another model?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

• Kevin J. Darrah
    edited July 2019
    Yes it's the DBX 286s …. It's a nice processor for the money. 
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've gotten excellent reports with my Studio Concepts VTV1 mic preamp and RE27.
  • Mike W9OJ
    Mike W9OJ Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Do you use the Flex EQ? Is the Flex speech processor turned off?

73 de Mike W9OJ
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    edited July 2019
    Flex EQ on... Processor off.... Carrier level set too 85... Have the power turned up so that I am getting 375 watts carrier out of my pair of 8877's … And this allows for more density in the AM signal while adjusting the Mic level to retain around 100% modulation. 
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    edited July 2019
    Remember.... Carrier Level and Power level are 2 different settings

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.