Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

mirophone choice

Michael N3LI
Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
When I had my 6300, I had a plain Jane Radio Shack Dynamic mic with a standard 2 wire output. I got good audio reports.

Now that I have a 6600 and can use balanced input, I've been considering changing out to an appropriate mic. 

First thing is - does this really make a big difference? I'm not doing AM.

Second thing, is anyone using a Shure SM-58?

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Mic selection is important but adjustment is crucial.  You can't adjust what isn't there.  And if a cheap mic response has lots of holes and peaks, then it will not EQ very well.  However I have gotten good reports even from a cheap computer headset or a $0.99 Electret element soldered to the end of a cable, after carefully adjusting them.  Ultimately matching the mic and EQ to your own voice and style is the key. Different mics compliment different voices.

The Shure SM-58 is a great mic,  but be aware that it has a significant amount of proximity bass, i.e. when you get up close the amount of bass in your audio increases noticeably.  If you use it, be sure to stay at a consistent distance of your audio characteristics will be inconsistent.

I am using a Heil PR22UT.  It is much more consistent and has a slight rise above 1KHz.  good mic for about the same money.

But there are a number of really good mics you can use for under $100.  Sennheiser has a good one for about $40.  or look at Sweetwater.com for a good selection.  You don't need to spend a fortune to have good audio.  Much of the "magic" is in the adjustment of your audio profile, especially the TX EQ settings.

Watch my audio adjustment tutorials on youtube.com/nm9p for some examples.

Ken - NM9P
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ken - I have your youtube video on adjustment bookmarked. It's  the most useful video I've ever used. Okay on the SM-58, it probably has a lot of oomph there where I don't really need it. 

I'll Check out the Senheiser and Sweetwater.com

Thank you much for the video(s) and this info! - 73 -
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Ken, and my 2 cents ; "what Ken said".
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I found the SM-58 picks up a tremendous amount of room noise as it's designed to do. If using be sure to have the gain adjusted so low that you need to be a couple inches from it. If you are one of those that like to sit back and be a few feet from mic, then it will pick up cars driving by your house, the woodpecker in your tree, the leaves falling, ha ha, I think I made my point.

A microphone is something right in your face so I wanted a nice looking one on a boom, went with the Heil PR-40 which is great looking and sounds wonderful and yes, an overkill. Ken's suggestion, PR-22 is much cheaper and will do a fantastic job.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    PS I have a big RadioSport headset that I really like for the mic and the gel headphones; Model Wide M360/EM56. And there is a mix profile for it in the ProfileManager. Ken, I was surprised at how they equalized it. My changes did not improve my audio, I did make a new profile with the Monitor dialed down from 100%!
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Ken's tutorials are excellent!

Also, while doing some searches looking for mic info, I stumbled on this interview with Bob Heil.  While I was familiar with the name, I really had little idea of his background working with rock n’ roll greats like Jeff Beck and Joe Walsh.   Yup, I’m getting up there too now!  (-:

Anyway, some of you might find it interesting:

https://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/gear-pioneers/bob-heil-master-of-game-changing-microphone-technology

Howard
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I found the Electro-Voice RE320 to work the best with my 6600.  It doesn't pick up the room noise like the SM-58 did.  I've tried both and have gone with the RE320!  It looks great in the shack as well!  Always get great audio reports with the RE320 of course that was after following Ken's outstanding youtube video on mic setup with the Flex!   Thank you Ken!

Cal/N3CAL
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited July 2019
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.  If you are getting good reports don't change anything.
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I use a Heil PR77D with Presonus Studio Channel and get many unsolicited complements for my audio. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Do the Heil's come with the low end suppressed these days? 
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I use a Heil PR77D with Presonus Studio Channel and get many unsolicited complements for my audio. The PR77 has 40db rear rejection so no fan noise or pickup of unwanted audio.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I could surely use that rear rejection! Even in quiet mode, the A/C is too clost to my mic.
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    There are two settings for the 77D full range and voice. Thg voice position rolls the audio off at 120 Hz at -6 dB per octave while the music selection removes the filter and the entire audio spectrum of 60 Hz to 16 kHz is present.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mike I have been using a Heil PR781, and get compliments very often on audio, smooth and full bodied. Many think I'm running outboard gear, , Just the mic and a good EQ profile.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have a $3 webcam mike that works better than a Heil PR-781 mike. SSB response is 300-3000 Hz, what difference does it make? This is ham radio not the Philadelphia Philharmonic 
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    If you little tiny pitched up audio then so be it,

There is no Bandwidth limitations on TX audio,
    I's suggest you educate yourself look at the FCC documents particually

-WTB Order (DA 04-3661)

He asked a question I gave him my results, I did not insult or bash his equipment.

This forum is filled with **** and  incorrect comments like yours.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Interesting article. I have heard him make similar presentations before, but this interview tells the history of his journey in an enjoyable way. I remember listening to an online lecture on a tech radio net on a repeater in Dallas in the early 80’s that discussed mic EQ. It was the beginning of my own interest in improving my station audio. His emphasis upon articulation was especially helpful.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I'm glad your happy with your $3 webcam mic. I've tested various microphones and it's all in perspective of who is reporting your audio report. I've heard so many tell others they sound good just to be a nice person while it sounds like a cheap microphone, others really can't tell the difference, other just say you sound good to shut you up.
    All I can attest to is that I respect my station too much to use a $3 microphone and am much more happier using my PR-40 even though I know it has superior specs, it just looks sooooo good.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have done a lot of work in adjusting mics on the Flex. I have a radio shack 99 cent electret element that I bodied together as a cheap boom mic. I have been able to adjust it so that it give pretty good audio for conversation and DXing.

Is it as good as my Heil PR22UT? NO.... the ‘22 (which is very close to a PR781) is more articulate and has a smoother response on both the low end and high end.

Is it better that a lot of signals I hear on the air? Absolutely! But that is a function of the hard work in adjusting the EQ.

Another difference is the rear rejection on the Heil, which makes my signal much more quiet. The electret picks up EVERYTHING!

Mic choice is a very personal matter...beginning with the operator’s voice. You can’t add what isn’t there to begin with.

The same goes for mics... you can’t add fidelity with your EQ that isn’t picked up by the mic. And if your cheap mic had resonant peaks and holes, even an 8-band EQ will not smooth it out. This is where a higher quality mic will excel.

Many computer headsets, however, are actually pretty flat and will perform well if properly adjusted, AND if your shack is quiet....

I would LOVE to have a PR781, PR40, or PR35...... but they are all out of my price range. My PR22UT was about $106 on sale and is about all I need to sound great. The others have better rear rejection, and would be nice in the shack whenever I get an Amp.......if ever. But I won’t participate in microphone snobbery. Once you have a Flex, is there anything else that can add to the “status symbol?” (Grin). No flames...just joking....
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Yeah - I'll pass on the webcam mic. I've been looking at the PR-77 mic. The specs are similar to the PR-781. I also like the Pill Mic form factor, possibly based on my earliest radio when I was a teenager and I had one (can't believe I gor rid of it)  

But I do want it to look good as well as sound good. The PR-77 looks pretty good as well. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    And I do thank you for that Richard. It Put me on to some interesting microphones. 
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Mike, 40 meters is probably the best band for propagation band between us.
    email me n8sdr@n8sdr.com sometime when you get the mic and I'd be glad to help you get it setup with what ever mic you choose.
    Have a good day.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    your welcome!
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ken, I have RandL Electronics  little over a mile down the road from me.  That I know of if you ever decide to look at the 781 again I think they have one of the better pricing rates on it or most of the Heil line

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.