Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 10 alert FYI

Michael N3LI
Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
For those using Windows 10, and who like to have their registry backed up, be aware that Microsoft turned off registry backups. And in true strange fashion it will look like it did, the backup will run,  but each registry hive will be 0 kBytes in size.

Microsoft recommends you use system restore if your registry becomes corrupted.  So for the last 8 months, this has been the case

Comments

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    You can't alert others to the problem without also informing them how to correct the situation, should they choose to. This issue was detected back in October, 2018, but only recently has MS admitted it, provided a justification for it (save space), and shared a method to restore the registry backups. I'd encourage anyone interested to refer to this article for information on how to re-enable windows registry backups: https://www.ghacks.net/2019/06/29/microsoft-explains-the-lack-of-registry-backups-in-windows-10/
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Or re-image regularly + before each scheduled major update.
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I've always been a little hesitant to tell people about digging into the registry when I don't know their level of expertise. That is the voice of experience talking. 
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Sure - There are also third party backup programs. I told a fellow how to makes some changes in his registry once. Then he read about how it can mess up your system. After that it was amazing how I owned every problem on his computer. Hard drive or monitor failure? Must have been that registry hack! 
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ccleaner
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Clean my PC is also a good registry maintaining tool. Has other tools also.
  • Delbert McCord
    Delbert McCord Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    So this came with a "Up Date" I know some day I will be forced to "upgrade" but for now I do not have all these problems with Windoz 7 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.