Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex remote operation with rotor control

Burch - K4QXX
Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
I have been operating with a StepIR vertical for the last several years.  It is very easy to setup for remote operation with my Flex 6700.  I am about to put up a Force 12 C3 beam on my tower.  I currently have an old tail twister rotor that is on it's last legs.  I'd like to update to a new rotor that can be remotely controlled.  What are some of you using for rotor and remote control.  I was thinking about replacing the Tailtwister with a Yaesu rotor.

Burch
K4QXX

Answers

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Burch,  I am using a Yaesu 1000 rotor with the Green Heron Engineering Everywhere software for direction control.  I turn the Yaesu rotor control unit itself  on/off using a Web Powerswitch 7 ethernet controller for 8 AC outlets.  My particular setup requires a PC at the remote but I see 4O3A has a rotor control smart unit that is directly ethernet controlled.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have been using a Yaesu G-800DXA and the E.R.C (Easy Rotor Control Mini DX) which is a small box with USB on one end and a six pin DIN on the other that connects directly to the rotor. Using the program PSTRotatorAZ I can control by computer locally, or remotely via computer, tablet, or web interface. Very nice. The E.R.C. I’d a little over $100, and PSTRotator is about $30-$35. A great deal!
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ken, does you setup eliminate the need for a rotor controller box like the DCU-1 to control a Hi-gain rotor like the HAM-M? My current rotor control box is just switches and a meter, standard old technology. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'm also using ERC-M. Works like a champ with PSTRotator software.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Bill, I have been using the basic ERC controller very successfully with an old 1980’s Fukner rotator I refurbished 8 years ago. I am using the software that comes with the package, but PSTRotator and other software will also work.

Have a look at the website. There is a comprehensive list of all compatible rotators. If your rotator is not on the list, they may be able to add it to the list and provide you with instructions on wiring it up, as was the case with my Fuchner rotator. Excellent service

GL Winston VK7WH
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

Hello

I use my Spid rotor remote. Controller is connected with USB on local PC from remote station. This local PC can be controlled by remote desktop (VNC)

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZPe_xD25w

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use the Alpha Spid RAK rotator with the rot controler working with PST software. This replaced a Ham IV that could not stand up to the winds here in Hawaii. The gears were destroyed, and the break was no effective. The RAK does not need a brake because of the high gear ratio. The wind will not move it.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The PSTRotator software is a great deal. Terrific software and Y03DMU is very responsive when it comes to adding new features or fixing bugs.
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Don't forget the M2 RC2800PX worm drive rotor, needs no break and most software packages control this rotor, DDUtil, PSTrotor, N1MM+, DX4WIN and many other rotor and logging software packages...  I've had mine up for 12 years here in MN with NO problems.

Regards, Dennis, k0eoo
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have used the ERC-M board in my Ham 3 for four years.  It was easy to build, install in the rotor control box and works flawlessly with many rotor control software solutions.  I happen to use and like PSTRotator.  Here is a link to the site and you will see the USA distributor is Vibroplex.  If you have any question while building or setting up the support from Germany was excellent.  I do not know about Vibroplex as there was no USA distributor when I purchased.

Just a side note the cost of rebuilding your current rotor and using the ERC-M will be much less than the price of a new rotor.  If you can't/don't want to rebuild yourself then 

John K3MA

https://www.schmidt-alba.de/eshop/product_info.php?products_id=18&language=en&MODsid=090a0c8a9a38172509fb20720576a4f3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.