Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why can't you create a new com port? With Smart SDRCat

Piero Ferrua
Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭
why can't you create a new com port? remote station PC laptop + Maestro
I need to create a com port to use with the DM780 winkeyer (HRD siute) from the remote station.
The remote station has a laptop PC + Maestro; at the base a Flex 6600, all with the latest sofwere version.
Creating a new com with Smart SDR Cat the PC tells me this error:

Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2019
    SmartSDR CAT is designed to be able to create multiple ports.  See the SmartSDR CAT User Guide for more info.
  • Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Yes of course..... But only in my house PC. The picture in my post you can look the error information, why this? imageimageimage
  • Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Look to see if you have ghosted serial ports. You might be trying to set up COM27, and it's already assigned.
  • Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thank you very much Michael, I think the problem is just that.
    I tried deleting everything and reinstating Smart SDR V3.0.27 but got no results.
    The problem remains the same, can it be due to the PC (windows 7 - 32)?
    The smart SDR CAT generates the ports, in fact the numbering increases with each attempt, but does not let me use them.

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Device Manager -> check under view "show hidden devices" -> look under "ports (COM&LPT)

Show us what is there... 

• Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks David,
    on the Device Manager I see the com ports created, for every attempt with SmartSDR COM 2 VPCs are created with different numbers (example COM16 and COM116).
    Therefore they are present in the system but cannot be used by Smart SDRCom!
    Extreme decision ..... PC reset and Windows 7 reinstal !!!
    On a table of new wax one writes better HIHI

Tomorrow I will be able to give news about it, thanks again best 73
    IZ1XEE

• Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    If your problem is that you have ghost ports i.e. assigned ports not in use, you can free these up: https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000504463-Removing-In-Use-Com-Ports-for-Availabl...
    The program discussed (https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html#arbiter) is excellent and I have used this on my Win7 computer to clean out unused ports. Reinstalling OS is a lot more work! Just make sure you run it as "Administrator"

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    As mentioned.. no reinstall necessary... simply select the ones that are grayed out, right mouse click.. a window will pop, select "uninstall device"  but DO NOT remove the drivers.. so in your case you'd remove both com27 and it's pair com127... while your there you might as well remove any / all unused com ports.  When you are finished reboot the PC and try again.

Good luck
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have the exact problem.  I removed all the unused, grayed out, ports.  I ran the program that removes the unused ports from the registry.  Rebooted and still cannot create a comport.

Anybody else have any ideas what to try?

Thanks

Harold
    W5ZZT
  • Piero Ferrua
    Piero Ferrua Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks to everyone who wanted to help me with this problem.
    By resetting the PC and windows, everything went well; SmartCAT works beautifully!

• Daniel Drolc
    Daniel Drolc Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I exactly same message  like shown in pictures , now can't create new ports I try programs to clear an use didn't make any difference, any suggestion
    Rig is 6400 program SDR version 3.18 windows 10   

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.