Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote keying / SSB modulation failure

Sam Leach
Sam Leach Member

When working remote CW using Maestro, I've had the display freeze and it appears that the remote rig is keyed.  This has happened twice.  Fortunately, my Maestro is co-located with a computer running SSDR (2.4.9) and I have used the SSDR "disconnect user" function to disconnect the Maestro from the remote radio (not knowing whether it is actually stuck key down, or that was simply a false indication presented by a frozen Maestro.  After the most recent event, I can reconnect the Maestro and I have CW sidetone, but I cannot key the remote radio.  Connecting SSDR to that radio, CWX works and SSB will key (using MOX or the Flex Control) with audio indicated on the audio level meter, but there is no RF out.  In all cases the receiver works normally.  The last time this happened, it was with a 6500 that was located in the local LAN.  In the troubleshooting process, I plugged the key into the front of the 6500 and it keyed normally.  After that, Maestro keying worked too (coincidence)?  This time, the remote radio is a 6300 and it is indeed 1,255 miles remote.  I have requested a restart, but that can't happen until tomorrow.  It appears that others are experiencing this.  1) is that true; are others having this problem?  2) is Flex aware of it?  And 3) is there a work around?

It seems like there should be a restart feature in the software (like restarting a remote computer using RDP).  I'd appreciate the communities' thoughts and wisdom on this one.

Thanks

Sam
K3KLC / VO1CBL

Comments

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    This Maestro CW lockup problem was fixed in 3.0.27.  I assume it is fixed in 2.5.1.

From the 3.0.27 Change Log -
    #7041 Fixed a low incidence radio hang when sending CW from a Maestro

K1ESE
  • Sam Leach
    Sam Leach Member
    edited June 2019

Great!  Thanks! I am intentionally not having my distant partner restart the radio this morning.  Thought about ways to possibly clear the fault from here and was planning to do that upgrade later today and see if that broke keying and SSB transmit loose. From your input, it will also solve the problem.   Will report my results here.
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I use an Internet remote power **** to shut off the radio's power supply if something hangs up.  There are many available.  Mine is an older Digital Loggers model.

K1ESE
  • Sam Leach
    Sam Leach Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes, we're going to have to go that route ... and I'm considering one of the devices that pings Google or some other reliable site and cycles power to the modem when the ping response goes away.  Between the two, we should become largely "fail safe".  It's outside the scope of their offering, but it would be useful if Flex offered a Dyn DNS like service and company approved (maybe Flex manufactured)  hardware to do the above mentioned tasks. As it turns out, a Flex remote does depend on some minor functions that lie beyond just the radio and SSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.