Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can't "tune" with SSDR in LSB or USB

Wayne W5GIE
Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I can't get the FLEX 6600M to tune in USB or LSB using SSDR. (button changes color, receiver muted, no RF indicated on meter)
Perhaps the problem began after I set up WSJT for FT8.
I tried rebooting everything.  The current workaround is to tune in CW mode.
Suggestions?
Wayne W5GIE

Answers

• Lionel
    Lionel Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I’ve had the same problem and don’t use FT8 or any of similar modes; ssb and cw only. I have same symptoms in 2.4.9. I have to switch to usb or cw to tune on 75 meters; it never tunes on 75 in Lsb. I posted this issue some months ago and got no response from anyone. I have upgraded to 2.5 and have not noticed the issue, though it may still exist. I will check this afternoon. I’ve not done a hardware reset.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    can you post a picture of what frequency you are set and how wide the slice is?  really a screen shot of the SmartSDR opened to the slice would help.

• Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Until today I was always able to straighten things out with a power on/off.  I normally use the FLEX via SSDR in the office, but have to tune antennas from the shack.  
  • Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Here goes:   
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    ATU shows bypass are you using an external tuner or does it go into bypass after you attempt to tune?
  • Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes, with an attempt to tune, it fails and goes to bypass.  Ant 2 is a screwdriver that was just tuned to about 1.05:1 at the front panel of the 6600M.  I assume the bypass condition with SSDR is caused by attempting to tune with no RF.  An external tuner is not normally used.
  • Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    New information.   If I use the SSDR on my laptop, the tune button works perfectly. 

If I close the program and open SSDR from my desktop, the tune button mutes the receiver but doesn't radiate tune power. (in USB or LSB)
  • Warren Wegerer
    Warren Wegerer Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Wayne, you might want to specify if laptop/desktop are both Windows, Apple, or if mixed which is which.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Wayne

FYI
    The ATU button function kind of works that way normally. If it's highlighted in blue, then it's using the ATU tune it learned for that frequency, if it's not blue, then when you click the button it will tune.
    Clicking the ATU button when it's blue will set the ATU to bypass.

If you are running SmartSDR, then hovering your mouse cursor over the button will display a tooltip showing what happens next if you click it. The tooltip changes depending on the current state of the button.

The MEM also has a hidden feature, right click that button and you get the option to delete ALL the saved tuner memories. When it's highlighted in blue it will use the stored memory for that frequency, or when its not highlighted left clicking it will store a memory for that frequency when the ATU button is highlighted blue (as in the ATU has been activated and has successfully found a match.)

The ATU and MEM buttons have more than one function/state.

For the ATU button, the sequence is either Off/Bypass (gray), or initiate an autotune cycle/and turn the highlight on..
    Each time it's clicked on it retunes and stores a memory of how it got that match when the MEM button is on (blue).   When the MEM button is off (gray) it won't store  a memory. Play around with it, to see it happen.

I usually just leave the MEM button highlighted/on, so it won't retune on frequencies it has a memory stored for. 

To get to complete ATU bypass, neither button should be on/highlighted. Left clicking the MEM button toggles between use the stored memory (blue), and bypass (Gray).

At least that's my misconception, of how it's supposed to work.image

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Good summary Jay.  And I didn't know about right clicking.  Just for clarification, the anomaly I'm scratching my head over is simply the "tune" button with the ATU in bypass and memory turned off.  When pressing the :"tune" button the radio is keyed, receiver muted, but I see no signal radiated in USB or LSB mode.    I've set the tune power to 10 watts, but there is no signal.  The radiated signal is needed to tune my screwdriver antenna.
  • Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Both the laptop and desktop run the latest version of Windows 10.  I'm suspecting there is a disconnect with operating WSJT-X.  That disconnect of course can be operator error.  I'm playing around with it and will get back if I find anything.

• Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    That's the good news.

The bad news:  I did a lot of trouble shooting with various combinations of WSJT-X, SSDR, and the 6600M, power on/off, reboot, etc. and the problem was still there.  The next morning everything worked.  The only difference between the two tests was an overnight normal power on/off of the FLEX.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I'll get back if it ever happens again.
    Wayne  W5GIE

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.