Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro B internal battery

John-ihb
John-ihb Member
edited June 2019 in Maestro

For the Maestro B model does this unit have the same problem with the Maestro A model internal battery needing to be charged all the time and, if left uncharged for an extended period of time, not boot up and has to be sent into Flex for repair?

Answers

• Kev
    Kev Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    thats scary; what's an extended period of time?
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Kevin, I believe it is recommended that the Maestro A internal battery be charged at least once every month, although it is suggested it is preferable to leave it plugged in to a 12 Volt supply when not in use, which is what I now do.

Flex have published details of a procedure to recharge the battery yourself, if you wish to do so, so you do not necessarily need to return it if the internal battery is ever fully discharged.

As my Maestro model A was a very early one, and I was not initially aware of this problem, and I can report that my internal battery was not fully discharged and recovered after sitting for THREE MONTHS.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU TRY TO REPLICATE THIS!

I hope this helps answer you question.

GL Winston
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    No, the model B does not but the model A holds a charge for a long time without use.
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I have a model A that I bought used and needed a battery charge. This is NO big deal if you know how to use a philips head **** driver.  The hardest part was finding a USB micro female to USB A adatper.

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/maestro-a-internal-battery-charging-procedure-pdf/?wpdmdl=3128&a...

USB Adapter cable
    http://tinyurl.com/y6fgcz5y

• W8ASA
    W8ASA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I just purchased a used Maestro from Flex. I've charged the internal battery for more than 10 hours. When I boot up the Maestro, it runs for about 2-3 minutes, then I get a message that Maestro will be shutting down in less than three minutes. See the attached picture. How long should it last?
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    W8ASA

You didn't mention if you were running the Maestro off the wall wart power supply or from a external USB battery, the Maestro's internal battery is only good for about 3 min's of active use max, and is only to be used to maintain the firmware and settings in the Maestro, when there is no other source of power. You can't run the Maestro from the internal battery.

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Maybe I am missing something here I believe the Maestro does not come with a Big Lithium Battery Pack that keeps it going for 3 to 5 hours of operation You need to additionally Purchase an additional battery It does come with a super small battery which Is internal inside the case of the Maestro But not in the Main Battery Compartment Of the Maestro With only the small battery that shipped inside the Enclosed frame of the Maestro which you do not See in the Main Battery compartment you are only Are going to get it going for a few minutes It only a tiny Memory retention Battery only Not meant for Portable Operation but as a Battery to retain settings, etc You must need an additional bigger battery in Addition to the Tiny Memory battery inside The Maestro that is factory built into Main guts of the Maestro only comes with a tiny memory retention battery but it is not seen in the Main Battery Compartment, you need to add an extra battery The needed additional Mogix 10400maH battery fits inside the back cover and not depend On the tiny battery for but That an additional Battery purchase Just because it stayed alive after charging For a few minutes means everything is working Fine but you need to add an Additional Bigger Battery in the Main Battery Compartment and Not depend on the Tiny backup battery built Into the internal frame of the Maestro but not inside the Main Battery Compartment At least that my understanding of how it works ! 73 Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.