Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Amplifier Drive Input... 5w / 10w / 50w?

Dwayne_AB6A
Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hey all, is there a recommended or preferred drive input for an amplifier connected to a Flex-6600? I'm considering a new 1K amp and some amps have the ability to specify drive input? 

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Each amp will have different drive requirements, and drive requirements will also differ slightly per band too.  Check the amp's manual to determine its input power range. 
  • William Osborne
    William Osborne Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Dwayne, I have an SPE 2K and the SPE amps lets you control the drive level from the Flex if you connect them via CAT.  Mine varies from about 32 to 40 watts for 1,500 out and somewhat less for 1,000 out.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    It all depends on the amp. I have one amp that requires just 3 watts drive for 300 watts out and another amp that requires almost 50 watts drive ( which would completely fry the first amp ) to get the same 300 watts out

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Nobody has answered your question. 

I assume the FLEX is the cleanest at just under full power, like maybe 80-90w, since its output transformer has been likely designed and compensated around this power level.

But only FLEX knows for sure. Whatever level it operates the cleanest would be the ideal input power to your linear.

Rob.
    www.N4GA.com

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    At the Mid-power level (1K), which is where I usually run it, my SPE 1.3-K only requires 6-7 watts.  Anything over that is overdriving it. On most bands, for 1.5K, it's 10-11w.

Rick, W0FG
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    My RF Kit B26 2K+ takes about 10-15 watts for 160-10 (minus 30m where we can go 1500w!) I haven't really tried it on 6m but I hear it can take as much as 60w to get 500w out. But each model of amp (and probably each sample within a model) can take different power.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.