Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Old Maestro vs New, raspy CW sidetone?

Lasse Moell
Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in Maestro
I have the old "original" Maestro... does the revamped "new" Maestro have a better sounding sidetone on CW? The raspiness is pretty bad on my Maestro. Wish there were a fix...

Answers

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I don't know how "raspy" your version A Maestro is, but I just got a new one a few weeks ago, and it still has a raspy tone.  Don't know how it compares, however.
  • Brian Hemmis
    Brian Hemmis Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    They are essentially the same.
  • Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I was pretty unhappy with the sound of my new Maestro CW side tone when I got it new the end of last year. That should make it a "Version B".  I asked FRS about it and was told they were aware of the problem, had worked a great deal on it, that it is MUCH better now than it was but they've concluded there's no more they can do so don't expect it to ever improve.  The responder said, "... it's not one of my favorite Maestro features...".  I completely agree.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Has anyone looked at the waveform (the side tone)? I am going to compare the 6600's sidetone to the Maestro's. I have an "A", which I bought used. I am really happy with it except the sidetone is a bit raspy. I'm accustom to it now.
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    A bit raspy is a an understatement :) I'll see if I can capture the sound. Thanks for the information on the newer h/w.
  • KK0ECT
    KK0ECT Member, Unconfirmed
    edited September 2020
    I have been considering a purchase of a flex + maestro, as I am a linux user. A friend let me borrow his maestro and I could not believe how awful the sidetone is. It's a deal breaker for me.

Here is the maestro sidetone (top) vs ic-7300 sidetone (bottom) https://i.imgur.com/49vhRRx.png

I cant believe flex considers this a good enough for a $1000+ piece of equipment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.