Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Controlling Two BPFs for SO2R with 6700

Eric Gruff
Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
I've seen a lot of similar questions and answers, but not this one.

I am using my Flex 6700 with two FilterMax4 bandpass filters. Until now, I manually select the bands as I change Slices A and B (the two SO2R bands I'm using). I own a Microham StationMaster as well as a ton of cables and boxes, but it seems the only way to control each FilterMax4 individually is to buy or build a second band decoder.

It would seem that I could tell the StationMaster what band both TX slices are on via USB, and program the 12 V relays on the back to switch both filter units accordingly, but it doesn't seem possible to pass both frequencies effectively to the SM. The Flex can send them, but the SM won't know they are two separate radios. I also have all the software to generate and bridge virtual serial ports, etc if that is a way to achieve this.

Before I drop more money on another SM, has anyone solved this problem? It sure seems like something that can be done. Big contest stations seem to be able to switch 147 different antennas to 69 different radios, so why can't I control two fairly simple filters from one radio?

Thanks,

Eric NC6K

Answers

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Eric,

I use a single FilterMax4 connected via USB from the 6600M but I do not see any reason why this would not work for both ANT outputs. All you need to do is associate the BCD port with the right antenna AND get the levels adapted. I used a single chip that converts the TTL to 12 V.  If you need more info, I can dig it up.

Andy
    KU7T
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Eric,

There are many solutions to your question. I also own FilterMax IV filters. 

Here is one solution. Buy two Denkovi USB relays. http://denkovi.com/usb-relay-boards

These will accept USB commands from the rear of the 6700. Then use the SmartSDR USB Config menu to select the appropriate relays for each band. 

You can also add an inexpensive band decoder if preferred. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ums-bcd-14?seid=dxese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-dxese1-_-unified-microsystems&gclid=CjwKEAjw__fnBRCNpvH8iqy4xl4SJAC4XERPbkFKnqCFg83OWeQTwhaM6Y4-24IMR5MNgkCN8JhsXRoCf7jw_wcB

Either of these solutions are not very expensive. I trust you know how to wire things so I won't try to write all that up. 

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Eric Gruff
    Eric Gruff Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Andy and Mack,

Thanks very much. Both solutions make sense, and I am familiar with the overall setup. I think I'll go with the Denkovi out of sheer laziness.

Your help is much appreciated!

73 de NC6K
  • Bill - W9KKN
    Bill - W9KKN Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I do essentially this with two Array solutions Bandmaster 5s. What's nice about is that the FilterMax units can be driven over ShackLAN.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.