Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yamaha CM500 hookup to 6600?

Ray
Ray Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Need to connect a Yamaha CM500 headset mic to the rear panel of a 6600 (non-M). With my CM500 (no pinout diagram or mini-manual included) - box doesn't say if it's dynamic or electret, but it comes with a separate mic(?) in-line small plastic box - a 1/8" TRS female jack and a pendant 1/8" TRS plug, and it holds 2 AAA  batteries. Does this mean it's electret and this is how using the battery (bias?) box gets bias to it in a unit that's looking for a dynamic mic and provides no bias? Web search for pin-out/element type used in the CM500 hasn't helped - no joy.

Much has been written here for connections to 6300's, 6500's, 6700's, M Versions of 6400/6600, etc. and there's even a caveat about some CM500's being wired differently. And I didn't see anything about which MIC definition (Default/Heil/etc.) folks used on the 6600 with the CM500 so that all's well.

So who's using a 6600 (not M) with a fairly new CM500 and has it all working fine? Could I hear from you? rayday**at**cox **period**net.

Thanks, 73,
Ray N6HE

Answers

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi Ray:

Yes, if it has a battery box, it is an electret.
    If you decide to use the circuit at the previous post LINK, I might suggest that
    for the 10 microfarad capacitor, use a NON-polarized cap.  Not a standard
    electrolytic where you will need to get the polarity correct.

If you don't have one, call me and come over to my shop, I can give you one.

Cheers,
    Neal Pollack
  • Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ray: I have a Yamaha CM500 and initially could not get it to work with my Flex.  I received my 6600 in late May and regardless of what I tried, it could not get the Yamaha to produce any TX audio from the radio.

I spent some time with it yesterday and find that my Yamaha's wiring is different than shown at:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/wiring-a-yamaha-cm500-headset-for-a-6400-m-or-6600-...

My CM500 was purchased in June 2014 from Amazon.  Apparently, newer purchases are wired differently. Here's what I found for mine:

So I have made an adapter cable to reflect the above pinouts and now have TX audio out of the radio.  I'm going through the process of optimizing the audio (processor, equalizer settings, etc.) and balancing the mic audio with the PC audio when using the PC as a voice keyer.

Tim K9WX

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I just hooked up my YAMAHA CM500 to my flex 6600 using the above diagram of K9WX and works fine. Just got the headset from AMAZON (FEB 2019). The box says it is a DYNAMIC Mic. and comes with the little battery box. I tried the battery box first, it did not work. Then made up the adapter above and works fine without the battery box. Have it set for FHM-2 Mic, so the radio powers the mic. Had to turn the MIC drive down a little but it works. 

The CM500 is not in the same class as the HEIL PRO7 or the RADIOSPORT, but for the price it is OK. 
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I know this is an older thread but I am confused. I just ordered one of these as well and the Amazon site said Electric (not electret) But the box says Dynamic so are electret or not ? Or are they throwing around terms they don't understand ?  I don't want to cut the packaging open until I know if this is the right mic or not. It does look like it has a box in line which I assume is the battery box.

What is there real deal on these headsets ?
  • PhilipG
    PhilipG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the post. I've got mine working (ordered in May 2019). Now, I'd like to know what settings you finally used for processor and equalizer for the CM-500.
    Phil. K3UT
  • Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Phil, I just now saw this.  I have been absent from the Community.  I am not much of a phone operator so I have not invested a lot of time setting up processor and equalizer settings for this Mic.  Looks like I am using NOR for the PROC.  Here are my cuts for the TX equalizer.  I'm a second tenor or baritone voice-wise.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.