Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Laptop Computer 'gurgles'.

Dave - W6OVP
Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

Two months ago I purchased an LG ultra-lightweight LG i7 "Gram" laptop computer for dedicated remote use in front of the TV at home, or remote from the road. It works beautifully for this application with one exception. The sound often quietly 'gurgles' in the background like a 'babbling brook'. It is distracting.

The problem exists with both a 6300/v1 and 6400/v3 which otherwise work fine. It never occurs with a half dozen other (older and heavier and slower) computers, fixed and portable, with various Windows versions, or iPads. Signal strength is not the problem.

That seems to zero in the problem on the LG. But before returning it to Costco under the 90 day warranty I want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious in the LG Win 10 SmartSDR setup, or the Motorola Modem/WiFi Router setup.

Any ideas? TNX. Dave.

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Dave,

I've not had any sound issues when on WiFi with my laptops.  However I do sometimes get audio clicks.

The key is to have a REALLY GOOD WiFi, strong signal, I also use the 5ghz band as 2.4 seems to be messy in my area.

I will say that audio will start to sound phase shifty when network packets start to get slow.  But no like a brook in my opinion.
  • Steve Moore
    Steve Moore Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Dave, does the gurgle sound occur when you listen to other sounds sources - Youtube videos, music library, etc. - while on Wifi?    If possible turn off the computer's Wifi card and try an ethernet cable to your router (most likely a USB-C Port with R45 gender changer).   
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Since every other machine works, life is too short to be fixing computer Manufacture issues Give it back to Costco
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I get the gurgling sound when I am not connected to DAX RX 1 and  TX mic 1.  Which is where I am now.  Smartlink worked from Barcelona a couple weeks ago but I'm at my daughter in Iowa.  for some unknown reason DAX is not connected?
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    It only appears when using SmartSDR, and then not all the time. Youtube seems to work fine.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I like the way you think. <g>.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Signal strength is not the problem.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I am using plain vanilla defaults and the internal mike on each of the laptops and iPads. Same with the desktops but use $12 USB mikes. Smartlink also works fine on all, but the LG maintains the intermittent gurgle.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    OK, I got Smartlink working.  I still notice the gurgling sound.  Maybe its my network connection.  Smartlink only has one are two bars (sometimes one red one or two yellow bars).  I will get closer to the WiFi (which is in the basement) and report any changes to the gurgling sound in the background.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The WiFi signal strength improved from 3 bars to full bars but the network connection (three yellow bars on SmartLink) did not change.
    Waves of louder audio with more static and no gurgling occurs from time to time but I haven't yet linked it to an improved network connection.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    TNX Steve. Exactly the same as here. I have 2 totally separate WiFi sources with separate routers and they behave the same, and with different FLEX. Even tho I only have the problem with one computer I'm not yet ready to totally blame that computer. (But close!)

Can you test for 'gurgle' there using a different computer?
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    No.  Neither my wife's iPad nor my daughter's laptop have SmartLink installed.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Since you are experiencing the 'gurgles' on one machine from that location the ideal test would be to try with another computer from there to make sure it isn't your FLEX.  Jest sayin...<g>.
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Dave,

Probably not a solution, but I suggest you open the Sound control panel > Playback > Speakers > Properties > Advanced and confirm that the default format is 24 bit, 48000 hz, Exclusive Mode is checked to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and "Give exclusive mode priority". Also, disable any audio enhancements or spatial sound, if supported by your sound card. 

Good luck and 73,

Larry KB1VFU

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    TNX Larry. The default settings were all as you suggested.

I made only one change, clicking "Disable all sound effects." This did change the background level but am unable to confirm 'gurgle success' yet since the band is lacking suitable SSB signals. Will try again tonight.  -Dave.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    GURGLE STOPPED: It looks like "Disable all sound effects" stopped the gurgle! In several hours of testing I've not heard any. This obscure problem/fix should be in the FLEX HELP database.

STEVEN: Did you try this fix? PSE let us know the result.

LG COMPUTER: I don't have a lot of experience with late model laptops but except for overall audio quality (give it a "C") it meets my wants in a remote laptop. (Not iPad.) Very light, very quick, clear sharp screen, does SmartSDR well, marginally affordable (<1K$). But I would like to hear from others who have similar favorite laptops.

TNX to all. -Dave
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I just bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 that I use here in France to remote via La Jolla, CA for WSJT. Very small and light. Super quick Not cheap $2,4K as I always buy the fastest processor, biggest memory laptop so I get many years use out of it. It replaces a 2012 MacBook Air of similar size and cost. But I still carry an iPad Pro as well for SSB under SSDR for iOS. As I like the audio on it better and it’s even more portable
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Dave,

Glad to hear you may have solved the "gurgling" audio.  

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 5 and Microsoft Surface Laptop 2. Both have i5 CPUs and 8 GB RAM and work very well for remote operations. They both cost about $1000 on sale with 256GB SSD.  See my detailed comments on these products in the following thread:
    https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/considering-buying-a-ms-surface-to-control-a640-comments

There is one disadvantage to both of these MS products -- they have only one 3.0 USB port. But, I've never needed a second USB port, because Bluetooth handles numerous wireless devices, such as a mouse and full size keyboard. Both have mini display ports. You don't need an i7 CPU unless you have other resource hungry apps, such as photo or video editing software. 

Good luck and 73,
    Larry KB1VFU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.