Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Alternative for a Maestro Stand - shack use

Duane_AC5AA
Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
I have what is probably an unusual question, and I don't see any earlier discussions on the community related to it.  I purchased a Maestro last week - still trying to decide if this was a good idea or not.  One "problem" in my shack, with limited shelf space on the operating desk, is that the fixed angle foot sits the Maestro at more of an angle than needed.  What makes it worse is that with a 17 1/2" deep shelf, the foot hangs out about 1" beyond the front of the shelf and is a little unstable that way (it needs to sit in front of the 6600 which is placed as far back on teh shelf as it can go.)  Thinking that the tilt feet might solve the problem, I picked up a set of those.  It's almost worse because the thickness of the foot does not allow it to fit under the 6600 which it needs to sit in front of.  So, it really hangs over the front of the shelf, is very unstable, and is useless in this situation.  This is the only spot for the Maestro in my shack (No, I don't want to trade the 6600 for a 6600M!)  Has anyone else dealt with this problem and found an acceptable solution, and if so, how did you solve it?  Thanks.

73, Duane   AC5AA

Answers

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have a Maestro on a swing arm monitor stand. Works quite well.I can push it up out of the way if I am using the PC. 

Tim VE6SH
  • Jerome Lofton
    Jerome Lofton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Duane,
    I use a VESA Monitor desk mount such as this. The VESA mounting holes are already on the back of the Maestro .. https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adjustable-Articulating-Counterbalance-STAND-V001O/dp/B01NH0HTM5/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2O67K24N2S12O&keywords=vesa+desk+mount&qid=1559077411&s=gateway&sprefix=VESA+Desk+%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-5
    Works Great and keeps the Maestro at eye level without using desk space.
    Let me know if you want more detail. 
    73, Jerome WD4CWG
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks to both of you, Jerome and Tim.  I'll have to investigate whether I can get the arm to clear the equipment on the shelf and get the Maestro back down to a workable level.  
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I’ve fabricated brackets for other VESA mount gear from .040 or heavier prefinished aluminum sheeting. Easy to work if you have access to a shear and a way to form the bend. I’m doing one at the moment out of Palight Trim (PVC ridged foam board) as I needed a non-conductive surface for some small gear that needed electrical isolation when mounted. I bought a Lexan cookbook stand to rework as well. You could try fixing the hinge feet to a sheet of metal that slides under your radio and maybe can be made a fixed but removable base. Could you hang your Maestro from the shelf above the radio? That could be effective too. Pictures might stimulate the brainstorming?! 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    If only I had those skills, Steve! I had thought briefly about a similar plan using a sheet of 1/8” plywood, which I have on hand. I’ll have to clean off the desk a bit and take a pic.
  • Jerome Lofton
    Jerome Lofton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Duane, you could also take a different type of mount such as this and mount it upside down under the shelf and have it angled toward you ... https://www.amazon.com/Wearson-Monitor-Holder-75x75mm-100x100mm/dp/B06XRMK46K/ref=sr_1_60_sspa?crid=3KX59W8G1FNN9&keywords=vesa+monitor+stand&qid=1559081712&s=gateway&sprefix=vesa+mo%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-60-spons&psc=1

73, Jerome WD4CWG

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Here is a pic of the station here at AC5AA.  As you can see real estate is at a premium one shelf whose only purpose is to allow space underneath for SWR/Power meter and keys (and the old 2m packetcluster rig).  The boxes on the shelf are all fairly large and consume most of it. Thankfully the 6600 is fairly shallow compared to the others, leaving room for the Maestro if I can figure out a base for it.  (Shown here with the standard fixed angle foot on it, which hangs over the front edge by about 3/4".)  Ideas so far are very good - especially Jerome's second one.  I can envision a slotted frame under the shelf that the base of the VESA arm would slide into - might work well.  Too bad I just sold my table saw and my router!

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Perhaps lift the 6600 on some blocks so you can slide the hinged feet back? Or just a shelf extension by overlaying the flex radio area with a deeper shelf? There may be some more room to gain with 90-degree adapters on the back of the radio. The hinged feet fold up so you also could rig something to use them in that fashion. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Put some bigger feet on the 6600.  Either just the front two or all.  Big enough to allow the Maestro stand to slide under it.

Here is a link to some feet that go with the old Drake gear that might work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BUDWIG-TF8T-T-8PC-RADIO-BLACK-RUBBER-CABINET-CASE-FEET-BUMPERS-FOR-DRAKE/401584242579?hash=item5d80493f93:g:lj0AAOSwuNFbeJn9:sc:USPSFirstClass!17543!US!-1
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Bigger feet and blocks under the feet of the 6600 won’t work because they are directly behind the hinged feet. However, a small additional shelf under the 6600 is a super idea that should solve it and is something I can build easily. Thanks for the ideas!
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Looks like you need a bigger desk! Since the 6600 is a server, set it too the side or somewhere out of way, I had same problem so I set mine to side. Something to maybe keep in mind Good luck
  • Jack6600
    Jack6600 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just locate the maim unit somewhere else in a closet or a utility room
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I do need a bigger desk, but then have no room for it either!  The "server in a closet" idea is OK, but then concerns me. I run 25-30 wpm QSK CW and have all the audio and key cables plugged directly to the 6600 to keep latency times (and RF issues) low.  Running them through the Maestro so they are all subject to WiFi delays may be less than optimal (I would have to try it to see).  Meanwhile, I'm planning to pursue the small "shelf" idea as this seems to fit my space issues well.
  • Jerome Lofton
    Jerome Lofton Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Duane,
    Another suggestion ... how about doubling the height of your existing shelf by adding a couple of longer simple legs, move the keyboard off the desk (and pickup a lot of room) using a sliding keyboard tray  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773TDLHG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and move the 6600 down to the main desk under the shelf on the left and relocate the VHF/UHF Rig to the right side. Then you have the option of just leaving the Maestro on the top shelf or still adding a VESA arm.
    73, Jerome WD4CWG

• Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Another good approach - thanks Jerome.  
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    My problem is solved - the simple, brute force method.  Nothing spectacular, but I thought I'd include it here in case someone comes up with a similar problem in the future.  I just made a short (1" underneath clearance) shelf out of some wood scraps I have in the garage.  A sheet of (probably luan) 1/8" plywood and a couple of wooden supports (plus one cross support due to the flimsy nature of the sheet).  Here are pictures of it in place.  I made it 14" x 11" (same outside dimensions as the 6600) and then cut about 1/2" relief into the inside front for about 2" to allow the tilt feet to slide under.  Neat and clean, and the support has relief cut to allow cables to run under the shelf if needed.  Here are a few pics.  

imageimage
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I guess the community software doesn't understand "portrait" format photos.  You'll have to get a kink in your neck to see this one showing how the feet fit under the shelf.  Added advantage is the Maestro won't do a face plant on the desktop.....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.