Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Running SmartSDR 2.4.9 - Do I want to upgrade?

TAC
TAC Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I'm running SmartSDR 2.4.9 on a Flex-6300 and was wondering about updating my software.

I'm interested in running my radio remotely, but really have no interest in running two different users.  Are the other features of 3.0 really worth shelling out $200? 

Smartlink is available in version 2, correct?

I was looking for ver. 2.5 in the download but can't seem to find it, is it out?  I think I saw some guys complaining about it.  Any major pluses or minuses with 2.5 over 2.4.9?

Thnx,
-TAC

Answers

• James Whiteway
    edited April 2020
    V2.50 should be available tomorrow or shortly thereafter. If you don't need multi client, but want remote, v2.49 an v2.50 should be good enough till a better version comes along that has features you do want. James WD5GWY
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Agreed. There are several new features in SSDR 3.0, but I'm very happy with 2.4.9 on my remote 6300 and looking forward to the fixes and (possibly) minor updates in the upcoming 2.5 release. Not being a contester I am taking a 'wait and see' approach to multi-link (SSDR 3.0).
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    If you're fine with running SSDR from one location don't bother getting V3.

I upgraded to V3 mainly because I find I move back and forth between my shack and my shop (2 separate locations) quite often so its nice having the capability of running SSDR on 2 clients at the same time.  Having to run through the routine of quitting SSDR on one client, then switching to another client, was getting pretty bothersome.   

From what I understand Flex is suppose to be releasing a V3 point upgrade (v3.x) next week, so who knows, perhaps additional features will be added.
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
     Hey Ken, I run 2.49 on my 6300, I am wondering when 2.50 comes out tomorrow, If it's free for me? Anyone have any Idea. Thanks,  
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes.  Since you own v2 software, all 2.x upgrades are free.
  • TAC
    TAC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the input.  Looks like I'll stay with 2.x and plan on installing 2.5 when it becomes available.
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thank you sir,
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    KF4HR is right.
  • Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    TAC,
    My recommendation is that you upgrade. Every upgrade has provided benefits, some of which are not immediately obvious. Having used V3 for some weeks now, I think it has advantages over V2 which make it worthwhile buying even if you don't, at present, intend to operate remote. With the availability of being able to use an i-phone or laptop to connect, one day you might just want to operate multi user and if you already have V3 you will know it is good to go. Go ahead and take the plunge. You won't regret it.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    According to the V3 ChangeLog, up through v3.0.23 will consist of fixes.  I was hoping for new features or filter improvements, but fixes are good too.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    For now, 2.5 is all you need if you don’t want multiflex. For the future, you want v3 as v2 will be feature complete with v2.5.
  • TAC
    TAC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Brian,

I should be able to operate remote just fine with 2.5, right?  Are there additional remote benefits with V3, other than multi user remote?

I'll admit SmartSDR is great software and I have no problem supporting Flexradio Systems, but upgrading to get no immediately obvious benefits for $200 is kind of a stretch. :-)

I guess the only reason I might shell out the $200 and jump to V3 is that if it's going to be the long term path for SmartSDR and V2 will eventually be dropped.  If it's inevitable, take it on the chin now and start enjoying V3 with whatever benefits or bug fixes it may have.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    That's a nice compact and sensible way of putting things Ria, nice to see you posting again.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Since moving to the country and thus using an ISP that has double NAT, using SmartLink is impossible, though I would only use SmartLink occasionally, I can't. Since v3 was mostly about Multi-Flex I considered holding off upgrading, for about 10 seconds. So this is why I upgraded.
    In my case I run my 6700 24/7 and use SmartSDR on a PC in the shack and have the Maestro elsewhere in the house on the LAN, and a laptop elsewhere too. Prior to v3, each time I turned on the Maestro which is late evening every night, or if I connected via laptop from the living room, I'd have to run to the shack and close down SmartSDR. With v3 I no longer have to do that, I can keep SmartSDR going independently. I monitor different bands in the shack as compared to on the Maestro where I mainly just listen. Prior to the Maestro I had to run an antenna cable from shack to bedroom for my IC-7000 and had no antenna switching capabilities. Goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways, the Maestro was a perfect addition to my station and fit my needs perfectly. No need to run any cables antenna or otherwise as it's wireless. Just like being in the shack and now with v3 and specifically Multi-Flex, makes operating more simple, for me.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    In version 2.49 you can force a disconnect from the remote side without needing to run to the shack to disconnect SSDR.  

I understand and agree with your other reasons for upgrading to V3.
  • Mike_WB8CXO
    Mike_WB8CXO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It was announced at the Flex Banquet that V2.5 includes all the updates and features of v3.x MINUS MultiFlex. But I suggest you read the release notes and understand the changes and updates b4 applying then.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    That is the very reason the release notes are published before the software.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mike, since reading many of the comments from V3 customers, it has become clear to me that the main V3 target is not really contesters. It's everyone!...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.