Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL April 2019 Updates

Answers

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I say 3 years for the tuner
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Just wanted to bump this back to the top and see if anyone else had received their amp.  I believe the last post I saw was someone who had ordered their amp on 4/28/2017 had received theirs.  I ordered on 5/26/2017 so I am hoping mine will be coming soon.

Burch
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Burch...  Yes I too have not seen any more inputs as to anyone ordering and or receiving their PGXL.  I can tell you once you receive yours, you will not be disappointed.  So far mine is performing as advertised..... it just works.  Good luck. and hope you get yours soon.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Did anyone receive their PG-XL in April?
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    not me, ordered in June 2018
    Sergey, KN7K
  • Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Burch,

You may be hearing something soon. I ordered mine 6/6/2017. Recently FRS said there were 3 shipments coming in. I was told today that I would probably be contacted in 2 weeks. It is the first time that I was not told "2 more months". I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Ray K6LJ
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I just noticed someone got their amp yesterday.  Looking forward to finally getting the amp.
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I received mine.  Simple to set up.  No Power Supply Issues.  Simple to follow Set Up Page.  Powered Unit on and Initial Checks showed "OK".  Powered up unit into a Dummy Load to insure Amplification and no issues and away I went.  Follows me around the bands like "a little puppy".   No issues to date.  Nice amp and works well on all Modes.  Fan Noise is much less than my first amp OM2000A+ and is acceptable.  Enjoy yours once it arrives.

Richard - N4RWG
  • Rolf Auras
    Rolf Auras Member
    edited May 2019
    John, what makes you sure??
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Acording to people using the PGXL it has been a great amp and performs as advertised or better.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I just got the call from Flex for payment.  My amp is ready.  Should have a tracking number soon.  I ordered May 26th, 2017.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    So it's only taking 2 years from order to delivery? WOW!
    Even Tesla is faster than that!   Perhaps 4o3A was a rocky pirate to partner with.
    By then I would forget I have even ordered one :-)
    Perhaps I'll stick with my KPA-500.  It's working just fine with the Flex 6600.

Another small company called Elecraft seems to be delivering plenty of 
    KPA-1500 amps to happy customers.  So a small company "CAN" do it.
    One has to wonder what went so wrong with 4o3A as a sub-contractor?

Neal
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Congrats Burch.  Perhaps there's some hope my December 2017 order might get filled this year. 
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Neal So it probably be 4 years before Anyone gets a Tuner Genius as well !!!
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Maybe it deserves a new name.  Maybe Tuner Stealth.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Tracking number says it should arrive on Monday May 20th.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    ... and not only Elecraft can do it! Also RF-kit.de can do it with his B26 -PA with included ATU - and show it at Hamvention with some nice news this year at #1207 in hall 1 Chris
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I think this is not fair to compare. When Elecraft (e.g.) firstly talked about the AMP and started pre-orders, it took also quite a while to get one. I also was waiting for a 6600 for one year, others waited longer. After I got my 6600, it was not a big deal to get one. I think that initial problems with 6m pushed everything back quite a bit. Fixing the 6m amps, modifying design and shipping again took several month. Now, I expect that throughout the year most of the orders will be satisfied and then waiting time will be much lower. Sure, still means that some of you will have waited couple a years which is quite unsatisfying.

Volker
  • K5XH
    K5XH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Got the call from Matt yesterday (15 May). Tracking says delivery tomorrow (5-17). Ordered the day after Dayton/Xenia 2017. Sadly, my 6600 is crossing paths with the amp as it heads to Flex for a checkout.
    Mark K5XH
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It sounds like the amps are being shipped again, nice.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Also, the PG XL is a more ambitious and complex design.

Howard
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have ordered mine at the IDXC in Visalia and is dated 4/27/18 - in case you want to add me to the running list - I was told the end of the year (2018) for delivery at that time. I called last month the last time (March 2019) as well as asked Matt at Visalia this year (April 2019). Was told very soon now....We'll see,

Frankly, While I am OK with waiting for a little while (although I must say did not expect this long and even my patients are running a little bit lower now) I can honestly say the Flex has missed out on at least 3, that I KNOW of, sales to hams due to the wait with folks who all got the Elecraft amps instead after hearing about the insane delays. Even though 2 at least said to me they would have rather buy the flex, even for more money, but were not willing to wait "years", the other was indifferent just wanted a solid state amp but would have bought the flex if it was not back ordered. I can understand that! I seriously considered canceling my order a few times and just getting the Elecraft amp as well but I will stick it out...for now.

For what it is worth, I think it is a good amp based on those I know who have one. But the release and the insane waits could have been handled a little better to say the least looking at it from the customer perspective. I think some of this has to do with the international nature of the amp and the partnership perhaps, not sure. I do understand there was an issue with 6m, and I appreciate addressing this and the great quality control. But I would have been happier is someone just said: "Hey Lucas, you will have it July 2019" back when I ordered. I would have STILL ordered it. Then I can plan accordingly and know not to possibly expect it soon. That's all! Just my 2 cents.

I am very curious to see how the "list" above progresses.

• Ray - K6LJ
    Ray - K6LJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Hi All - Finally PG-XL in my care. Order # 12388 6/6/2017. As I picked it up at FRS. I saw a number of others in boxes ready. Good news for other. :)
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for the report Ray!  Good to see a 6/6/17 order being filled.
  • Warren Wegerer
    Warren Wegerer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Like others, I'd like to thank Dewey for compiling the list of us waiting for the PGXL. I may add at this time my order of 6/14/17 #AB-12440 for K6WKW (Warren) is still outstanding - no contact from Flex as of 5/27/19. I am 52 orders after Ray - K6LJ but remind everyone that not all orders included a PGXL. Lots of folks were probably ordering the new 6000s without including the PGXL. My order was for a 6600M, Maestro, and the PGXL, but I suspect not everyone can do that.

We should all remember that it seemed like it took forever for the 6400/6600s to ship. My 6600M came in Feb 2018 (8 month delay) and I decided to order a 6400M in April -- which shipped immediately after I ordered it because there was no backlog. It was so fast it startled me! I expect that's what we're going to see with the PGXLs. In a few months the naysayers will be ordering w/o a backlog, but they will not have the tuner advantage our early orders get. To my mind the tuner is simpler than an amp (each amp has a form of tuner in its output) so I anticipate seeing it sooner than the skeptics are saying.

All said, I'm really starting to get excited knowing that my PGXL is getting close...
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    My PGXL was delivered on 5/20 to my office but I didn't get it hooked up until 5/26 which is exactly 2 years from when I ordered on 5/26/2017.  I haven't used it much but so far it has been worth the wait.  Works seamless with the Flex 6700 and will put the fire to the wire!  Fans make noise but I don't think it's to bad.  My home brew 2 meter 1500 watt amp has a big blower and makes more noise than the PGXL so I guess I might just be used to it.  Amp appears to be well built and looks very nice with the front display.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Flex informed me yesterday that my PGXL ordered May 9, 2018 AB15543 should be ready to ship "SOMETIME" in the 4th quarter, That is a delay from order between 510 and 600 days. Those numbers roughly match the ones in the list.   If you get your PGXL earlier that that then you are very lucky.

In contrast..... I ordered a HF-Auto from Palistar at Hamvention and it was waiting for me when I arrived home.  (They paralleled it with great tracking info to my e-mail)

I ordered a Maestro from stock at the same time and it is not here. (No tracking info at all)....so far
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    David, I sincerely hope your ready-to-ship date comes to pass.  If so, perhaps that might mean my order should ship in the 3rd quarter this year (order AB-14461, placed Dec 10, 2017).

I called about my order delivery date earlier this year and I was given an estimated ship date of April 2019, but with with the caveat that they do not have a good feel as to 4o3A's production rate.  I've been waiting 532 days so far.  One post above indicates a June 2017 order was recently received (K6LJ), so that's promising.   

Reference your Maestro order, give Matt a call.  My guess is Flex is probably catching up from the Dayton hamfest.

• Warren Wegerer
    Warren Wegerer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    On 5/30/19 I received E-mail indicating my PGXL has shipped, so those still waiting may consider #AB-12440 for K6WKW (Warren) as completing. I believe that leaves us with a gap of some 2000 order numbers and 6 months before KJ8OO's known order. Keep your fingers crossed guys and be patient. They're getting to us.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks for posting your info Warren.

The 2,000 order gap (to get to KJ8OO's order) encompasses orders for many other items other than the Amp.  It would nice if others added their Order# and Date to this thread so we could get some rough idea how many PG-XL orders are outstanding.

Congrats on your new Amp.  Keep us posted on how you like it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.