Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Satellite Work - VU5K or 6600 with transverters?

KM0T
KM0T Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
All,

I am thinking of perhaps getting into some sat work, wondering if you satellite gurus have a preference for using a Flex-5000 VU5K or a Flex-6600 with VU transverters.  I have a VU5K and its excellent, but Im also thinking of trading up for new tech without firewire connection.  Currently redoing the shack and getting out of the Flex-5000 line for my VHF and microwave work.

So the question is if there are better programs, software etc. for interfacing for sat work, freq control, etc. for the Flex-6000 series or is the VU5K the ticket.  Ease of interface, between the two systems, etc.

Do i hang onto the VU5K or not... lots of + and -'s.

73 de Mike - KM0T

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2019
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have setup and used my 6500 with Elecraft transverters to do SAT work quite nicely, I had to use switches because of the 6500 limited XVTR connection as well as ANT in/out.. SATPC32 integrates well for all types of SATs... I found HRD to be jumpy when racking and did not handle linear inverting SATs well.. JMO

Good Luck
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Mike

I have available a program called FlexSATPC (Referenced in articles Tim listed above ) that works in conjunction with SatPc32.
    It supports PowerSDR , SmartSDR Version 2 and 3.
    My email is good in qrz.com, drop me a line and I'll send you an email with info.

Tim is correct that the 6600 lends itself to satellite operations the best. But we have folks using all models in the 6000 line.

Dave W0DHB
  • Fred Friedl
    Fred Friedl Member
    edited May 2019
    Mike,

What are you looking to get for your 5000 w/vu5k?

Fred - WX4US
    Pensacola
  • KM0T
    KM0T Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Fred, dont want to keep you hanging here, but I'm not ready to part with the VU5K until I absorb all of the info here.  I dont like to make too rash of decisions, I like to take my time (my wife would disagree :) before I think about a price.  If it was commodity rig, no problem.  However, it is a VU5K.  I tested it last week against a Kuhne state of the art 432 transverter, I A/B switched it with a coaxial relay to the same antenna listening to far out weak signal beacons.  I could not tell the difference, its amazing tech for the time and still state of the art.  Firewire....a cord I may want to cut....73
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    Firewire....a cord I may want to cut

:-)
  • Fred Friedl
    Fred Friedl Member
    edited May 2019
    Tim,

I have no issues with Firewire...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2019
    @Fred You are fortunate.  We are seeing an uptick in Firewire support issues, particularly with Win10 machines. These issues are challenging to debug as there are no diagnostic tools available.
  • Fred Friedl
    Fred Friedl Member
    edited May 2019
    That's good to know, thanks.  I will keep alert to issues.  I have been running W10 since the beginning.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.