Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

vodafone tethering

marco rinaldi
marco rinaldi Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
hey guys.
6700 and maestro resh owner.
On domestic wifi all ok, when I try to connect to iphone vodafone tethering the mastero it connects to the tethering wifi but no radio available.

Are there any parameters to set?
Many thks
IK2LFF
Marco

Answers

• Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Most likely ports are closed on the tetherd device I use att cell phone and pay the hotspot tethering and ports are blocked it will not work either
  • marco rinaldi
    marco rinaldi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I was suspecting it. Do you know if I can solve on the device settings or do I have to call vodafone? Tks
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I would call them see if they will open ports my cell carrier said no
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I doubt that AT&T blocks the Maestro port but anything is possible. In my case, using an AT&T hotspot, I think it's more likely double Network Address Translation (NAT)is the culpret. Checking myip.com, my public IP through the hotspot is 107.77.205.144 but the hotspot says that it's IP address is 10.20.126.238, which is a non addressable, non public, internal LAN IP address. Therefore the 1st NAT was in the router at AT&T. This means the hotspot is part of a LAN subnet. The Maestro reports its IP as 192.168.1.90, another IP reserved for internal LAN, non public use. That's normal out of a router but it's a 2nd NAT that the packets don't follow to the Maestro.
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Well if you find a way to make it work with att hotspot please let me know I gave up.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Does anyone happen to know which, of the three IP address mentioned above, the SmartLink server uses to pass radio packets to a Maestro?
    I don't understand why SmartSDR on a PC receives the packets fine but they fail to get to the Maestro in identical environments. The MTU is set to 1000 for both tests. Thank you!
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    P.S.
    SmartSDR works fine on my Windows laptop connected in the same manner to the same 6300 via the AT&T hotspot with double NAT & similar IP addresses as described above.

That makes me wonder what the difference is between the Maestro and the laptop.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    What works fine, Maestro, iPad/iPhone or SmartSDR on a Windows PC? Thanks!
  • marco rinaldi
    marco rinaldi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Vodafone too said no. That’s a real pity.
  • marco rinaldi
    marco rinaldi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Good test, I’ll try on my laptop and tethering on vodafone iPhone. On maestro doesn’t work and (given the vodafone reply) it won’t work. But I won’t give up. May be with a sort of vpn?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.