Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hardware Activity as Power Drops from 13.8V to 0V

Tim N9PUZ
Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
When I'm finished using my Flex-6400M I shut down the radio with the power button. Afterwards, I turn off my Astron 30A supply which also powers other station equipment. As the output meter on the Astron drops to 0V there is a point where the power indicator on the Flex Power button flickers/blinks a few times.

Is this normal for the radios? Anything to be concerned about?

I'm using the V3.xx software but the behavior was present prior to the software upgrade.

I am really enjoying this radio.

Tim N9PUZ

Answers

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    On my 6700, I get a voltage error on the screen of the radio when the power supply is bleeding off voltage when powered off.  This is with the radio turned off but still connected to the power supply.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

I have a 6600M and I do the same thing, turn off Flex and then turn off power supply,,, get the red flashing light for a few seconds! When I turn on the power supply I get a Flash of light on the front of the 6600M... Does not seem to affect anything...
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    Stephen Hawkins NG0G Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It happens on my 6400m also.  I turn the radio off using the on / off switch on the radio.  When it has completely shut down, I then turn off the power supply.  Turning off the power supply momentarily causes the light on the power switch on the radio to blink.  Doesn't seem to hurt anything.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I see none of this on my 6700. Turn the 6700 off and once it is shut down completely I turn off the power supply. All shuts down as it should with no flashing lights or warnings. BUT, this could be due to having the GPSDO installed which stays active when the radio power is shut off. Thus when the power supply shuts down it is acting like a bleeder resistor and soaking up the last remaining charge in the caps from the power supply. My power supply is a 20 year old MFJ 4035 which has a 19 pound transformer in it that I purchased new.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    yep! my 6400 does same thing, most of times a few red blinks when power bleeds off, and a quick green blink when you turn power supply back on!
  • Richard Zalewski
    Richard Zalewski Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, the same happens here on my 6600M.  However, I don't think this happened before the update.  Won't swear to that because around the same time I changed power supplies and I attributed it to the power supply bleed off even though the supply meters so 0v and 0a.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    My 6600M does the same thing.  Worried me at first, but doesn't seem to have any harmful effect.  I interpret it now as my radio saying "come back soon." 
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Don't see that on my 6700. I don't have the GPS option in mine. Have had both switching and linear PS. No difference, maybe a difference in architecture btw the "old" 6xxx series and the new 64/6600 radios?
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Just to add that I haven't see it on the 6500 either. Can't say for the 6300 yet. Just bought a used one for back-up and as inband radio and haven't picked it up yet.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I see a momentary temporal distortion followed by a tiny ripple in
    the space-time continuim, with occasional gamma-ray bursts.
    But my shack seems to be OK.

Yes, I know, MORE COFFEE...

• Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited May 2019
    I suspect a probability storm.

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Coffee for Stephen too?  :)
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    VERY MUCH MORE COFFEE Neal!   :)
  • Stephen Hawkins NG0G
    edited May 2019
    Coffee, fuel for chasing DX
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Coffee, what's keep us alive during contest .. day two :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.