Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink Question

Peter WB6POT
Peter WB6POT Member ✭✭
Today my ISP had to change my static IP (at the shack site) to a different static IP.  Everything came back up as expected (ip cameras, rotor control, switches, etc.) but I can no longer remotely connect to my 6300.  I can TeamView into the shack computer and operate the radio that way - just can't load SmartSDR from a remote site.

I don't understand the handshaking that happens with Smartlink.  If the shack IP changes, do I need to unregister and re-register?  If not, what would cause this problem?

This may shed some light on the problem:  I just checked the Radio IP address that Smartlink shows prior to trying to connect remotely and noticed it's different than my new IP.  My WAN IP address ends in ****.1 and the radio IP shows ****.142.  I double checked my router, and it does show ****.1.  Where is Smartlink getting it's IP from?

Thanks,
Peter - WB6POT

Answers

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2019
    The radio sends updates to the SmartLink server with that information.  It may be that you are going to need to reboot the radio to get it to pick up the new network settings.  Another consideration is whether the radio's IP changed and if any port forwarding rules need to change as a result.
  • Peter WB6POT
    Peter WB6POT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I tried rebooting twice with no change.  
    The radio's local IP is reserved and has not changed.  The port forwarding is also unchanged.  It's definitely due to the incorrect IP Smartlink is getting.  Is there a way I can manually tell Smartlink my true IP?

I'll check with my ISP to see if there is something going on with his network.  This is a wireless 5 ghz service.

Peter - WB6POT
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2019
    I have seen this happen as well at my ISP.  While I don't have a Static setting from my ISP about every 3 weeks they change my IP and then 3 weeks later, they change it back to what it was.  Rebooting the radio doesn't seem to help.

Rebooting the pfSense Router cleans it right up.  Not sure exactly why other than it might be  a TTL issue on the DNS server somewhere.  I'm blaming this on the Firewall to some extent.

Mike va3mw

• Peter WB6POT
    Peter WB6POT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    All working now. It was on the ISP side. Got this explanation from him: It was a miss configuration on our side. The public IP's where all being natted to that .142 address you saw. Thanks, Peter - WB6POT
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2019
    Glad you got it sorted out.  This is the challenge we all have with remote stations.  We can't control anything between the 2 routers we have control of.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.