Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6600/KPA-1500 Not Sharing Freq

N3RC
N3RC Member ✭✭
My 6600 shares freq with Steppir controller very well. When I decided to add freq control to the KPA-1500 ,I ordered the CBL-FLEXKEY usb cable from Elecraft, followed all the instructions but the KPA-1500 not responding to band/freq changes from SDR 3. What is interesting is if you look at  the log on the USB cables under SDR3, the band changes are going out on those cables and are reflected in the logs but the 1500 not responsive. Have tried 9600bps and 38400bps, bypassing  the usb  hub I have plugged into 1500 usb, set the cable type as CAT, auto-report enabled,radio = serial, tech mode=on. Any thoughts/trouble shooting ideas?

Is there a way to look at the KPA-1500 log to see what is happening?

73  Roger N3RC

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2019
    Hi Roger

This behaves the same way as any RS232 USB device being controlled by the radio.  The baud rate setting in the radio and the amplifier need to be the same value.   Can you post screen shots of your USB setting from SmartSDR?  

You will see there is a logging function that shows data being sent to the amplifier based on your choice. which I recommend as Source:  TX Antenna and the antenna port you have the amplifier connected to.  

Section 28 on the SmartSDR Software Users Guide discusses the RS232 settings.

Your KPA1500 will also need to think it is connected to a Kenwood radio (or a Flex Radio if it has that setting).  Flex radios send the Kenwood CAT command set.

You may want to give Elecraft a call and ask about setting up the KPA1500 with that cable.  I looked on their web site and was not able to find any documentation.

Mike

• N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    SDR Settings. 
    Name: KPA1500
    Cable Type: CAT
    Source: TX Slice
    Auto-report- Enabled.

Click on the advance to expand the dialog box and display the baud rate.
    Speed 38400
    All others- leave at their default.

In the KPA1500, 
    Power on the 1500 and access the menu. Tap the MENU. Using the down arrow key to the right of the display, scroll to Radio TYPE. Hold the Menu button (EDIT) and use the down arrow to select "SERIAL". Tap the Menu to exit edit mode.

Tap the Down Arrow a few times until SERIAL SPEED XCR appears. Hold Menu (Edit) and select 38400. Turn on the Tech Mode (TECH MD ON). Tap status to exit the KPA1500 menu.

See if the 1500 follows band changes. If not, make sure the cable is correctly seated at both ends. Make sure the USB cable is being recognized by the Flex. in the USB set-up menu. 

If Flex recognizes the cable, then there 'may' be something wrong with the chip in the cable. 

Hope that helps!

Lou N2TU
  • N3RC
    N3RC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Lou/Mike

Lou your instructions are the ones I followed,  Tried Mike's Source=Tx Ant to no avail.
    Since the  Flex recognized the cable, I think Lou's thought that the chip is faulty is a good one. Trying to think of a way to test that  cable??

Would like to be able to see what the KPA-1500 thinks is going on but only can   access the fault log.

Will    call   Flex/Elecraft tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

• 73 Roger N3RC
  • N2TU
    N2TU Company Adviser ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Roger...good luck and make sure you tell us the outcome..It would be most appreciated.

Lou N2TU
  • Warren Merkel
    Warren Merkel Member
    edited May 2019
    Roger,  

I have the KPA-1500 following the 6600M frequency data just fine.   I have found the Flex USB ports drop characters at 38400 in CAT mode, so I have the interface set for 9600, which is plenty fast enough for frequency changes. YMMV.

In addition to the other settings as Lou has described above, I have XCVR SERIAL HOST set to DISABLED.    If it is ENABLED, the amplifier stops tracking the Flex.    I also have XCVR SERIAL LOOP set to OFF, but that might be the default value.  You might check those menu settings in your amp.

I have also been using the two PF function buttons on the amplifier to swap back and forth from SERIAL mode to ELECRAFT mode, which makes it easy to swap from the K3 to the Flex without changing any cables.

Warren, KD4Z
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The one thing I have not seen mentioned here is that a null modem adapter is required between the cable and the KPA500. It will not function without it.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    oops! Sorry, l misread this as KPA500. Ignore this comment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.