Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Networking Issues - Internet Connection

Options
Andrew Sommers
Andrew Sommers Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My friend got himself a 6500 and I built him a new computer with a WiFi card so he could access his home WiFi. Well, we got the radio plugged into the Ethernet port and the WiFi connected to his gateway and bridged the two connections. At first it didn’t work, but after resetting the adapter and bridging again it worked so that the radio could see the internet and activate his license. Since then though the internet connection has been spotty at best. What am I missing here and how can I fix it? It’s got to be a common networking issue because when we tried it on his old computer it did the same thing.

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    This sort of arrangement won’t work for any internet connectivity features. You need to connect that puppy to your router either wired or via WiFi
  • Andrew Sommers
    Andrew Sommers Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thanks, Ria. I guess I’ll give him my WAN access point and connect it to that. I need to figure out how to connect to it via SmartLink.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Run a long cable or get another WiFi AP. I can’t believe how many hams don’t have a proper wired connection in their shacks
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Bridging (or for that matter, network sharing) can work, but you are asking for more complications, and using SmartLink becomes truly touchy. If you use WiFi for your radio connection, even if through your PC, you should be aware that WiFi, especially 2.4 Gig, is truly a shared resource - with ALL your neighbors. At least use 5 Gig for your WiFi - it will almost always work better. Even then, in a congested area it also may not work well.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.