Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Profiles with V3

Peter WB6POT
Peter WB6POT Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Wondering what I'm doing wrong. 
Running 6300 remote with version 3.x using both SmartSDR on Win10 & standalone Maestro.
I set up unique Global, TX & MIC profiles for each.  In this example I do not share profiles between devices.

I log in using SmartSDR and confirm profiles are set correctly.  Log off.
I log in using Maestro and find that TX & MIC profiles have been changed to reflect SmartSDR settings.  Reload Global, TX & MIC, and then log off.
I log back into SmartSDR and see profiles are set to Maestro's.

The same thing happens when I use the iOS app.  (Which also has it's own unique profiles)

One other odd thing that only happens with Maestro.  When I log in the Maestro always goes back to 14.100 and a higher volume than what I had last set.  Both SmartSDR and iOS always default back to the freq & volume I last set on that device.

Any help would be appreciated.
Peter - WB6POT

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Profiles are stored on the server (radio), not in the client. So, the last loaded profile will be there no matter what device you choose. That's of course different than persistence settings like frequency and volume.
  • Peter WB6POT
    Peter WB6POT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks George - So I will need to reload profiles each time I switch between devices.  That answers one question.

I'm still seeing 2 problems with the Maestro.
    1) It doesn't seem to be keeping it's global profile active.  Ie., when I log in using the Maestro and reload my global profile, then log off and relog in immediately, the TX & MIC profiles are still active, but global isn't.  I must load the global profile to get back to the freq & mode I was last using.
    2) The global profile on the Maestro doesn't seem to retain the volume setting and some CW settings such as Iambic, breakin and sidetone volume.
    I don't recall having this problem with 2.49.

Thanks,
    Peter - WB6POT
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Seems like the server (radio) needs to keep track of the device/profile info, so that the correct profile is loaded when the device connects?  Otherwise, the operator must remember to load the correct profile each time they connect, which doesn't seem like a good design for multiple user operation?

As far as I can tell, using the iPad messes up the connected PC client's profiles.  Last evening, I left my laptop connected and setup for an 80M sked.  I was downstairs, so I thought I would connect with the iPad to look at the band.  The iPad has a set of iPad specific profiles.  I disconnected the iPad after a few minutes.  About an hour later, I went into the shack for the 80M sked.  The PC client's profiles had been completely changed.  The TX profile was the default so the drive level was wrong and the mic profile was set for PC as the source.  I never use the PC as a source, so I have no idea how PC would ever be selected as the microphone source (type).  I assume this is just an issue between the IOS version and the PC version of the software.

I'm also wondering if wouldn't be useful to be able to disable the automatic profile update feature.  I personally don't like the feature and would keep it permanently disabled.  

Larry, W1IZZ

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am not a Flex employee....

There are many thing that are working as not intended, or things that I am sure will be re worked. Nice thing is is the release gives everyone a chance to break things and report. Because profiles is a stapple of Flex radio I hope they fix it soon.
  • Peter WB6POT
    Peter WB6POT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That's exactly what I was seeing no matter what the device.  If I log on using my iOS device and change my profile to my iOS profile, the next time I log on using either SmartSDR or Maestro, they will also be using my iOS profile.

To me this does not make sense and I hope is a bug that will be fixed.  

When I use my iOS device I always want those specific profiles and when I use my SmartSDR I want my SmartSDR MIC & TX profiles.

Why wouldn't each device keep track of what profile it last had loaded?  

Peter - WB6POT
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    There are a couple of things intermingled in this thread - I'll try to answer each one:

Global Profiles and Persistence: Global profiles are a specific saved state for the radio (this includes the currently selected TX and Mic profiles). This is not continuously saved as it intended as a way to quickly load a specific configuration for operation and serve as a starting point. Each client has its own persistence information so whenever you connect to a radio with your Maestro vs iOS vs PC it should recall the correct panadapters/slices/band for that device. We do have a bug where Maestro via SmartLink will always revert to defaults (we have a fix for this that will be in the next release). 

TX Profiles and different clients: TX Profiles are global to the radio (as in the radio saves all TX Profiles created). Each TX profile is linked to a specific TX Antenna. So anytime you switch TX Antenna it should load the appropriate TX Profile for that antenna. I am curious as to why you would like to use different TX Profiles on different clients (SmartSDR vs Maestro). Why would you want different power/TXOuts/etc when using a different client?

Mic Profiles and Different Clients: Mic profiles are similar to TX Profiles but they are linked to a specific slice mode (USB/LSB/DIGU/etc). Today these are not client specific. So a single Mic profile is associated with a mode. I do see the use case for having different Mic profiles per client (specially since you can use different microphones on each client). I've entered this as issue #7382

Mic Profiles and multiFLEX: When using multiFLEX it is important to create a Mic profile for each specific client. Otherwise, if both clients are using the same Mic Profile, any changes on one client will change the settings on the other. This is specially important when using iOS or a Maestro as these clients use PC for the Mic input and will change this setting for the profile. 
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    TX profiles - Clients may use the station's amp, or one client might run always run barefoot, or there might be external switch selection of different amps.  Each case could require different power levels.   If the antennas are switched externally, all TX antennas are ANT 1 to the Flex.  I forget if the Flex tuner settings are part of TX profiles, since I don't use the Flex tuner, but some clients might use the Flex tuner, just running barefoot, so would want different TX profiles?

Global Profiles - The persistence feature does not appear to be working for IOS devices.  I believe it is working for PC clients, but I didn't thoroughly test it.  I'm going to continue to test my iPad.

I actually thought that, since I have had this 6500 for a few years, my profiles might be causing issues somehow.  I did a full reset and cleared all of my profiles.  They are not that hard to recreate, and I did have some inconsistencies in my naming convention.  All of my testing has been done with profiles created in Version 3.

I would like to have the ability turn off the automatic profile changing features.  I frequently make changes in a Mic or TX profile while operating that I don't want to save.  For example, I might turn on RX equalization occasionally, but want it off most of the time.  I would much rather make the "save" decision myself.

• Peter WB6POT
    Peter WB6POT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ed,
    Thanks for the detailed explaination.

I'm glad that two of my issues seem to be bugs or "issues" to be looked at.

To answer your question about TX profiles: In most cases people probably wouldn't be changing TX profiles based on the client, but what about if someone always ran a lower power digital setup when logged in via their Maestro and when logged on via their computer with SmartSDR ran other than digital at full power always.  This is not my case, but wanted to throw out an example case.

The MIC profile would be completely different since in almost all cases each client would be running a different mic setup; or at least that's my case.

Thanks again for your detailed description.

Peter - WB6POT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.