Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power Genius Screen Display and Standby button not working

Dennis Daniel KM6DF
Dennis Daniel KM6DF Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
I just received my new Power Genius XL amp on Friday 3/29 and set it up today 3/30. when I started the amp for the first time I had no display and the standby and operate button does not work. The back light LEDs do not work. Any ideas.

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dennis, The power supply was likely dislodged by very rough shipping. If you’re comfortable doing the following then this should get you going. 1. Unplug the unit 2. Remove the top cover 3. Looking at the amp from the front on the right side is the power supply. It plugs into a connector and is held in place with a clamp. Loosen the clamp and reseat the power supply in the plug. Tighten the clamp. That should get you going. 4. Plug in the amp to check if it is working. Keep you hands out of the amp while plugged in. 5. Unplug the amp and replace the cover. The power supply becoming unplugged (internally) is a rare event but it can happen if UPS handles the amp roughly during shipment. Please let me know if this gets you going. I’ve been using this amp for 18 months and it’s rock solid. I began testing with the first very rough “prototype” version of the amp all the way through the production amp. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Check and make sure the power cord is firmly seated at the amp. After reaching around the amp to turn the power switch on and off I've unseated the connector a few times, Another reason I keep the switch on now.

Howard
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited April 2019
    Mack thanks for the response and this is what I found. 

1. Ribbon cable at the front of the amp had come off.

2. Only one **** was holding the power Supply bracket and power supply had slid almost off the connector to the back of the amp. 

This was not from shipping but from assembly and poor QC. The person putting this amp together used a power screwdriver and **** the nuts through the power supply bracket. So far everything else looks ok and everything tested ok with one concern the SWR on the amp is higher than my HF-Auto. the HF Auto shows 1.1:1 and the amp is showing 1.5:1 this could be the tuner however my 6500 is showing the same as the tuner.

I am still been very happy with my flex equipment until now and this may be a one time thing and one person working the line. Flex need to review their QC and I'll be calling them tomorrow to discuses the issue I had.  

See photos below and thanks.
    Dennis

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Dennis, I’m pleased it’s working! The Flex engineer who does the final QC is a EE and master technician with 35 years at Motorola, I assure you there is none better. This was an issue with UPS shipping. You’ll love your new amp! 73, Mack
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited March 2019
    I would normally agree and I have the greatest respect for the flexradio team  but this could not have been UPS as it was missing 2  nuts, washers and screws and I checked inside the amp to make sure they were not floating around. If you study the photo its clear the nuts were pulled through the aluminum bracket. Also I didn't say the box it was delivered in was in good shape and showed no impact.   

Again thanks for the help getting up and going
    Dennis  
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Whoa .. you spent $7k, waited 2 years, and now you want an amp that actually works when you plug it in and sit it on the shack desk? 
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Those pictures are a little concerning.  In Flex's last email about the amp they said there had been some quality control issues.  Hopefully this is an isolated instance.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Remember those Indians shooting the pioneers . If you want to be the first person to walk in the moon you must accept certain risks caused by equipment that has never been in a live fire excercise
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Not to start a flame...but how can you be sure that this is an USP issue???
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The metal looks thick and strong, I don't think it would be possible to draw the nuts through the metal to a flat surface. Also looking close were the nut is that you can see it looks like parts have pulled away from their intended place.

But if the unit was banged hard then the nuts could pull through the metal from the power supply weight pulling away from the bottom plate.

Flex will be very interested in hearing about this.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The quality control issues mentioned in the letter were about some amps not meeting performance specs,,,this has nothing to do with that.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    In the first picture that horizontal piece of metal below the ribbon seems to be badly bent where the screws are. This would seem to show that they were turned much too tight or that the metal is very thin and flexible
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Bill why you ALWAYS talking like an FRS employee - and that in every thread. In every thread. Every problem for you is never an FRS problem and all other guys are idiots!

You have for all problems an answer. Sorry for me your a BlaBla maker or Dr. i know everything.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don't need your approval, Lol
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited June 2019

Looking at the first picture, it does seem to me that the components were pulled apart – like if the amp was dropped several feet upside down.  If the box was dropped squarely it may not show any damage, while the internal assemblies of the 30 lb. amp could been damaged by tensile force, and missing screws could be lodged out of sight.  Just my guess of course.

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Dennis sorry to hear about your damaged PG-XL.  Given the wait time and cost involved, that's sickening.  While I'm glad you were able to affect repair, hopefully FRS will make your amp 100% right for you.

Hopefully FRS will take better packaging steps to insure future PG-XL shipments can survive the UPS shipping process.  In certain cases hard drops, hard enough to cause hardware to rip through metal also leave indications of crushed external packaging.  One thing for sure.  If mine shows up in such a condition or with loose rattling parts, I won't accept it from UPS.   
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Both my Alphas were shipped in two boxes with transformer separate from the amp deck.  I had to install the transformers.  I am sending a KPA500 back to the factory and Elecraft recommended that I remove its transformer before shipping.  Seems like a prudent approach.

Keith - AC9S
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019

Hello Dennis,

On the picture it’s clear that the PSU bracket was deformed by a strong hit.

I say this because the holes power supply bracket are deformed. The nut went trough the hole and ripped it open This evidence points to the PSU being properly mounted in the factory.

The ribbon cable from the front panel was disconnected due to a hit in transport.

On the picture you can see the bracket mounted onto the PSU.

The damage was caused by a strong hit in transport. The unit was likely upside down so the PSU (it weighs of 3.5Kg or 7.7lbs) deformed the bracket due to extreme force. It takes a tremendous amount of force for this to happen. So much that it’s hard to imagine. The material is 1mm (0.03in) thick.

It is my opinion that the unit is very robust and packed well since nothing else was damaged.

We will upgrade the PSU bracket for future units by making it thicker.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Chris, as you see, 403A has confirmed my veiw.
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited April 2019
    Thank you for the response and the more I look at it, it seems to have been dropped in shipment. FRS said they will send me a new bracket once that get them in. so far the amp is working great.
    Dennis  
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    We will add spare bracket in next shipment. 73
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    The amp took that kind of a **** and it still works...wow
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Unacceptable. I would be asking for either a replacement amp, or a full refund. Look how scratched up the area is. Who knows what else may have suffered such forces. If in fact it happened in transit between you and FRS. If the outer shipping container looks fine, I’d be asking FRS some serious questions.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited April 2019
    The only problem is, UPS won’t let you open the package unless you accept it. So if the box looks ok, you won’t know until it’s too late.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    edited April 2019
    So, two weeks later...... What was the resolution?
  • Dennis Daniel KM6DF
    edited April 2019
    I have run the amp every day at full power for 2 to 3 hours on SSB  with no problems. I have always gotten great service and support from FRS and they offered to replace it if it has any problems and so far none. They will be sending a replacement bracket I can install. Now that its been two weeks and all is running fine I don't think I need to send it back but will call and request an extended full warranty, that would be a fair resolution.  I can say this amp is built like a tank and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a legal limit amp. I give it a 11 out of 10 so far. however I give UPS a -10 out of 10. I get better service out of the US post office.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I man Dan has a point... Are you sure you really need it to work?  Can't it just look pretty on your desk?

<grin>
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
     "I can say this amp is built like a tank and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a legal limit amp. I give it a 11 out of 10 so far. however I give UPS a -10 out of 10. I get better service out of the US post office"
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    edited April 2019

Ranko, thank you very much for your responses!  The PG XL that you designed is first class, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of operating it.   I am impressed by the engineering.  It is indeed built like a tank!  I’ve made a few “operator errors”, but the amp’s built-in protections worked as designed and protected it from my mistakes. 

Howard
  • 4O3A Signature
    4O3A Signature Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Howard, I am glad to hear that.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.