Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why can't I hear a clients audio when he transmits on my radio remotely

Jerry
Jerry Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

When using version 3 can’t hear clients xmit audio!

I let my friend use my 6400 with multiFlex.   He is using V3 and has control of radio and can transmit fine.

I can’t hear what he is saying and vise versa.

Is this by design?

This makes it kind of useless not being able to hear the client or vise versa when he is transmitting on the same frequency.

How do we participate in group QSO?

Please advise if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Jerry

Answers

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How would you receive while the radio is in transmit mode?
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Guess you could listen with a WEB based remote SDR receiver Using WEB CATSYNC synced to your Flex Radio Not sure what FRS will say 73 Mike
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    It would be nice if the remote client  audio could be monitored by depressing the "Mon" button.
  • Jerry
    Jerry Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Audio is being  passed through the transmitter, it should be able to be monitored within the audio circuits some how and routed to my speaker or PC for monitoring I would think.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    But wouldn't the remote user have to listen to his own audio? That would drive me crazy after a while, Unless MON would only turn on audio at the location that pressed MON
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I agree with you Jerry.

also.... Being able to hear the other client is a basic feature for working together.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Pat I know,,will have to think on this one
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Maybe that will be a feature for later?
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Seems as though it would not be a "receive" function but rather a "monitor" your transmit audio function.
    I would think both operators need to be able to monitor each others xmit audio as in a group QSO would be absolutely necessary.

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I will likely save my money till then,   I would jump at the chance to share my radio with a buddy that is in an HOA,   But not being able to hear each other on a net is a show stopper.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

In the audio recording business we call this "talk back" function.  It is a monitoring function so you can communicate with the other person directly.  You can make it configurable option and also turn it on or off.  Turns out it is very very useful.
     dan
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Teamspeak, Skype... would work.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I'm surprised that the MON function wasn't enhanced to handle this situation. I would think a change to engage the MON function for the location that activated it would work. This way you would only hear the other op or ops audio and not your own unless there was an option to hear both/all.

This would have allowed you to have ongoing QSO's with the other op without relying on yet another piece of software.that you have to worry about regarding compatibility.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Here is a thought, On my 6500 I can place a 2nd slice over top of another one. Slice B can be placed on top Slice A. This allows me to listen on both. Then I can transmit on A and receive on B.

Both slices are set to the same freq.

I don't know how this would work with V3, I'm just thinking.. If the 2nd slice can work as an inependent receiver, perhaps turning on FDX?
    Maybe someone can try this out with V3?

On V3 if the other op is transmiting, can you even see his signal?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Sure, but you need to be able to protect that 2nd reciever from the transmitter.  Multi op stations do this all the time but they have antenna configurations that support it. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Not if you simply creat a 2nd slice on the panadapter
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    A simple, easy and free solution for now is to use Zoom or Skype for talk back functionaltiy.  It can also include video if you want.  Great for mentoring too. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Im on the way out to visalia or I would do this myself, but We have some alpha testers who have seen this post and are testing some options, including monitoring DAX tx..etc. and linking it to a Virtual Audio cable, or skype so you can monitor the other side..  I would expect some to offer some feedback on this soon.. and if you are at IDXC, come see me and say hello
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    That is true, the original question was , why can't I hear another client transmit while I listen. I was wondering if the radio can do this by simply adding a 2nd slice on V3.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Since some folks are having trouble conceptualizing what is being suggested above, I suggest you check out RCForb at www.remotehams.com. It accomplishes this function perfectly. I use it with my 6300 frequently.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    this will work and so will a remote rig.  but I think there is a way to do this with the power of software and some good ham spirit.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Ok Chris,,this is all interesting, even if we can't now, it maybe something for Flex to add later?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes it would be great to keep it within the Flex software.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I would think it a possibility but any future additions are covered by NDA.  lets do some good 21st century hamming, and see 
    1. can we capture the audio as it passes through the transceiver via dax
    2.  send that audio to a Virtual audio cable that can be shared locally and with another computer
    3.  or pipe that right to a skype account and setup a computer based monitoring solution..  

what was the old apple tag line??  think different!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Chris, can you even see the other client transmit on the screen?
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Well.  yes it would.  and perhaps it may.. but.. SPOILER ALERT!  ;-) a first version of a major under the hood software release is not often going to be feature complete.  I am absolutely positive the team at FRS are monitoring this community and hear many recommendations behind closed doors for flex supporters.    but the first question, just like on any other platform is if the feature is not there currently, is there a reasonable solution to solve the problem using features that are.. I think there are several ways with this one. 
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    did you see my video I posted a couple days ago?
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I will check it again
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I have not upgraded and will not pay money for such sketchy software.  Hearing the other party is absolutely necessary in a multi-user environment. As a prospective buyer I was first amazed that there is not a step by step users guide published with a major release.  (NO I have no need for short video clips) .  there also needs to be a list of associate problems publish by Flex so we will all be up to speed with what works and what does not.  This is all getting ridiculous.  ****, without a definitive users manual who can tell what is truly suppose to work or not.  Now I love my Flex radios and I have had many.  I have spent lots of money and do not need this vague ****.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.