Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M Turning Off The Front Display

KC9NRN
KC9NRN Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I'm debating buying either the 6400 or the 6400M. My main question at this point is when leaving the radio on so it can be used remotely is it possible to turn off the front display on the 6400M

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    What is your concern about leaving the display on?
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

If I'm not there then there is no need for the display to be on. I know burn-in isn't as much of an issue these days but this is an LCD and if possible when I'm not using it I would like to be able to either dim it to zero or turn the display off or heck, maybe have a screen saver that we can set that displays our call sign on the display if it's being used via PC or remote.

This is still considered a server isn't it? I never leave the monitor on anything that may be left on 24x7, it's an unneeded waste.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    OK.  We have not made a final design decision on how to handle that use case, so I can't speculate on the final disposition of it.  Thanks for sharing your use case concerns.
  • Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Maybe a simple time setting for when the "screen saver mode" kicks in would be good.  Regardless of remote or not, would be nice to say " turn off screen after nobody touched the front after 1 hour"...

Andy

• KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    a screen saver mode would be a nice feature for those of us inclined to keep the radio on and don't want the room to be illuminated by the display that draws attention of the XYL of an unoccupied room that's not dark---:(
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Might even be a good idea for the Maestro!
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Was this option implemented on the 6600M?
  • Tim, VK6EI
    Tim, VK6EI Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Certainly seems to be a great idea, considering the radio here is mainly going to be used remotely. Tim, VK6EI
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited April 2019
    No.  The front panel is on all the time so that you can interact with the radio directly and enable the front panel display.  Due to the display type, burn in is not an issue.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I second a screen saver mode would be great, no hardware delay just an update to the SDR software 2.x.xx and would work on maestro and flex M models via the built in computer. I'm sure it would not take a rocket scientist or a month to add something simple like this to the software as a free update.

After the warranty expires it may be as simple as installing an spst toggle switch to turn off the screen backlighting if flex chooses not to add it to the software.

My 2 cents ... Sometimes its the little things that p... you off :-)

• Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

I was looking at all the provided documentation on the SmartSDR latest version. Lo and behold the Screen Saver is supported in the SmartSDR API available as documentation.

private ScreensaverMode _screensaver;
            /// <summary>
            /// Sets the screensaver mode to be shown on the front display of
            /// the radio (Model, Name, Callsign, None).
            /// </summary>

etc. etc. etc.

Since it is already supported in the latest SmartSDR Software for windows it should be a piece of cake for it to be included into an update for use with the 6400M/6600M and as shown is setup to show the Radio Model, name, and Callsign.

Somehow as customers we should be able to gather enough support to move this to the top of the update list since it would be quick and easy to implement.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Why get an M if you are mostly using it remotely? Just get the regular non M and a Maestro. 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Still have hopes that Flex gives us the option for a multi-meter on the front display when we are using SmartSDR.

I am hoping multi client when released will allow knob control and allow a different display.
  • danparsons
    danparsons Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Any update on this? It is badly needed.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

Because mostly doesn't mean always, in the winter when I'm home I'll be sitting there or using it from a different room, I like to have options and for something sold as a server with a screen I expect to be able to turn that screen off or use  screen saver.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The XYL can be an issue, burn in for me was the last reason. Not needing the display on all the time was my main reason.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Since it runs an OS this is easy peasy, for some reason this isn't worthy of implementing.
  • Tim, VK6EI
    Tim, VK6EI Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I guess not... Too hard basket, but I doubt it...
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Seems like you could just find the vcc line to the front panel and put in a mini toggle switch to turn off. the display when its not wanted, cant be that difficult since the production pictures on the flex site show the front panel as a complete assembly with just a ribbon cable connecting it so if you took the power away it be like having a non M model.
  • danparsons
    danparsons Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I see there's another major software release for these radios. I still can't find a way to turn off the front panel LCD when not in use. What gives? Honest question.
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I see this thread is 2 years old. If the light in the room is a problem just toss a hand towel over the front of the radio. Problem solved
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Take a cardboard box and place over the radio.  Or write a small SW utility to make a call to FlexAPI to turn on screen saver :)
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My personal suggestion is a non-M radio but then buy yourself a separate Maestro.

This way you get the best of both.  You get a radio you can park in your shack and leave on 24/7.  You can connect to it via computer or laptop on your WiFi

AND with a separate maestro you can have that updates during the SuperBowl making contacts or out on your back deck under an umbrella with a Margarita in hand working DX.

Having the maestro separate from the radio makes all the difference to me.

Mark WS7M
  • K0GGC
    K0GGC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Is there any progress on this issue? I would like to turn off the front display along with the audio when I am away traveling, yet I want the radio on so I can connect and operate remotely.

An option needs to be added to allow turning off the screen but being able to turn it back on again when needed.  Why burn out the screen prematurely? Eventually all backlights and LEDs fail from constant use. 
  • BL7IB
    BL7IB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    What XYL issue? My XYL believe the 6400 is a computer. The back panel is placed outward, showing LAN and USB. I like the ACC connector, looks like VGA out.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.