Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PG XL Suggestion Thread

W9TVX
W9TVX Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in New Ideas
I received my PG XL last week, and I must say I am thrilled with the amplifier. My previous amp was an Expert 1.3K-FA which was a great amp, but the PG is a step above. 

That said, I have a few initial thoughts regarding how SSDR could be improved to support the PG and thought it would be interesting to see what others were thinking.
  • My biggest ask is that there be a separate RF Power slider that can set the radio output to to the amp. This value would be used when the amp is in oper mode, and could be added to the AMP or TX panels
  • Would  be really nice to allow the user to set a max output for the PG and have the amp not exceed that value. Barring that an estimated max output based on the set exciter value would be nice. 
  • Power settings per band/mode would be nice - perhaps as an 'advanced setting' in the AMP panel e.g. have a toggle that expands the RF Power (see above) where the user can set power parameters per band/mode
  • Have an amp stby/oper button on the AMP panel. It feels odd that it is only available in the bottom left of the SSDR window
  • Port the funcionality of PG XL utility into SSDR. E.g. add a PG XL option under the settings menu
  • Allow the AMP panel to be expanded into an expert mode which shows the information (Vdd, Vac, mode, etc) that the PG XL utility displays
Those are some initial thoughts. Would be interested to hear what other think

Cheers

Ross
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Man, you appliance operators are amazing. 

N4GA
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Power settings per band will be accomplished with Ver. 3 of smartsdr it looks like, but probably differantly than your looking for.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I think the intention is to creat a profile for each band and set the RF power in each as you want.

Also, I think some things you are suggesting are included in V3.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

While I don’t find the PG XL fan noise unbearable, it is quite noticeable even at the “normal” setting.  I often find that the fans never ramp up when I use the amp at low power or low duty cycle.  I wonder if it might be possible to add a “low power/duty cycle” mode to lower the fan speed even more for those situations?  That would be my #1 wish. 

Overall I find the amp outstanding, including its self-protections from several lapses of judgement on my part.  (-:

Howard
  • W9TVX
    W9TVX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Haters gonna hate ;-)
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yep, that's a given. ;-) 

Excellent suggestions Ross.

Solid state HF amp components and HF solid state amplifier kits have been available for awhile now.  Nothing new there.  For me the bigger picture is software integration of a modern solid state amp into SmartSDR.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Ross,

On points #1, 2  and 3 I set the maximum RF power on the Radio | setup tab to 55 watts. I set the RF power as Larry describes above by band. That works perfectly.

On point #4 pressing the round button on the front left will place the amp into standby/operate.

On point #5 all of the metering of the PGXL is already included in SmartSDR. Just add additional meters to your Maestro and SmartSDR screen. I have my PGXL in a separate room at the antenna entry panel and never look at the PGXL physical screen or PGXL utility.

On your last point all of the information you're suggesting is shown if using the PGXL utility.

Enjoy the amp. I've been using/testing mine daily for over a year.

vy 73,

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.