Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

High SWRs on ant 1 and 2 through internal SWR meter but no power out on stand alone watt meter

Russ Locke
Russ Locke Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
My 6300 is apparently not putting out any power (as checked through a Siltronix FS-301).  The internal swr meter is off the scale as well.  I have a Kenwood TS130SE that shows 85 watts out with 1:1 swr through the same meter to the same antenna (TransWorld 1020).  Am I missing something or has my 6300 gone south?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Check your antenna selection in Smart SDR. Sounds like you are transmitting into nothing. Also antenna tuner possibly.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Siltronix -- the CB people?
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Steve, Let’s check several things. I apologize if they seem trivial but it’s important to eliminate possible cause of no RF power, 1. TX Antenna (the red selection) is on a proper antenna 2. In radio settings you do not have TX Inhibit selected 3. The RF power level is set maximum 4. Set mode to CW. Try tune and MOX If none of these settings fix the issue then perform a hardware reset. https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020078612-How-to-Completely-Reset-a-FLEX-6000 If it still doesn’t work then open a help desk ticket. Please let me know the outcome. 73 Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Russ Locke
    Russ Locke Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    OK, This is weird.....I checked (double checked in most cases) all and everything was OK.  set mode to CW and swr was 1:1.2!  I changed nothing, it just started to work! 
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I’m glad it’s working.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    This sounds like something I encounter from time to time, but have never been able to replicate consistently.  I switch antennas, and it's like I have no antenna connected.  I switch bands, slices, and antennas once or twice, and then, everything is back to normal.   I feel like a relay is hanging,  but I honestly don't have a clue.    It is however fairly regular.

Glad you don't have to part with the rig.

Bob, WK2Y
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Check the cable. It sounds like a connector intermittent. Bob
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I had that thought.  I've wiggled cables, swapped cables, cleaned connectors, and cursed at cables, but it just doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason.  My next step is to hire a shaman.

More seriously, I think at some frequency and power level, I am getting RF in the shack.  I just need to spend some more time doing the detective work and probably up my RF grounding. 

Bob, WK2Y
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Bob,

Respectfully, you can't get enough RF grounding to be effective in your shack. If you have RF in your shack then it is likely common mode current on your coax. I highly recommend this current balun which will usually solve the issue. https://www.balundesigns.com/model-1115di-dual-core-isolation-balun-1-5-54-mhz-5kw/

I have many products from this company but do not have a commercial interest. 

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have baluns on both antennas, but boy is that a nice one. Lots of good info on that site too.

I think the real issue is the Hexbeam is located directly above the shack.  I'm probably in it's RF field.  Not a good thing. You are probably right that no matter what I do in the shack it's not going to help.   I need to move the antenna to the center of the house and get it higher.  Just need to get a round tuit, if you know what I mean. (They are so hard to find.)    When I first put the antenna up, I thought I was doing myself a favor by having it close and minimizing the coax length. Now I know, I didn't need to worry about the losses. 

Spring is here. Perfect time. Now I just need to get to it before the roof gets too hot here in Atlanta.

Thanks for the link.

Bob, WK2Y
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    WOW!  What does that have to do with his problem and he states that it worked with his Kenwood. FYI, FS-301 was 'made' by Siltronix/Swan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.