Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

power SDR 1.X.X

Alan C
Alan C Member ✭✭
Anyone out there have a version 1.x.x of Power SDR?

Flex website starts with Ver 2.x.x

Answers

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Actually, I found a location that it should be - Flex Knowledge Base. However, the downloads link is dead. I need 1.18 Power SDR and associated Firmware. My 5000A has really old firmware and needs updating manually - just once. After this update, I can load the latest.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Alan

I just now downloaded PowerSDR v1.18.6, from the support / downloads portion of the Flexradio website. I bet you can too.

Click Below ...
    https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/powersdr_v1-18-6_installer/?wpdmdl=5110&refresh=5c9c2b9aaa6cf1553738650 

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I found the same thing, same place.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Alan is looking for PowerSDR, not SmartSDR :-)
    It's under "Discontinued Products"

• N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Whoops
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    OK thanks to Jay and Alex!! I have the Power SDR that I need.  Now, I need the Firmware 1.3.0.8 associated with that Power SDR 1.18.6

I can't find 1.3.0.8 Firmware anywhere.

After Power SDR 2.x.x.x - the Firmware is automatically loaded with the software. My old 5000A has the oldest Firmware, and needs to be upgraded the old fashioned way (manually)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Alan

It's included in the 1.18.6 installer. Just install it. 

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Thanks Jay. Where is the firmware located, then?

When I open 1.18.6 PSDR is says: "found Firmware 1.2. looking for 1.3"

I'm looking for 1.3, too
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Alan

Part of it will be installed in the radio, by the installer. The other part will be the matching PowerSDR Firewire Driver that will be installed to your PC along with PowerSDR. The version numbers of both part's have to match. Sounds like you might need to do a clean reinstall of PowerSDR v1.18.6. because the firmware upload to the radio doesn't seem to have occurred. in effect the pc part expects to connect with firmware 1.3, but the radio still has firmware 1.2 installed in it. you may need to contact Flexradio support if the installer can't solve the mismatch problem.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    According to my research, Firmware is only loaded (automatically) with PSDR Ver 2.x.x.x

So, I presume that prior to 2.x.x.x, manual Firmware uploading is required?

I submitted a helpdesk ticket
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Alan

Your research, and my experience differ, the Helpdesk ticket is your best bet, now.

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Jay, I will try your suggestion and do a clean install. I deeply appreciate your guidance here.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Alan 

Keep in mind I'm trying to help from memory. So I can be wrong. I fought this exact issue with my 5000a back when PowerSDR v2.x.x.x was first released. but there was a workaround that solved it back then. I just don't remember the details. Maybe Dudley might. Maybe he will see this thread. 

SDRgadgets

#FlexRadio IRC Chat

73, Jay - NO5J

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    OK, Jay. Understand.

I was able to open PSDR (even though it is not talking to the 5000A correctly). I do see that there is some communication as seen by this screen shot

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    After looking at http://kc.flexradio.com It looks like all I need is 5000A Firmware 1.3.0.8.exe or 1.3.0.8.bin

Hopefully someone has that.

This will (hopefully) get PSDR 1.18.6 up and running

I can easily upgrade once 1.18.6 is up and running...

thx to all
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Alan,

First you need to get your radio and computer talking together correctly.   For this with the 1.8.6 PSDR,  you need the FireWire radio driver version 3.5.0.7171.    I don't see the FW driver on the Flex downloads any longer,    I still have this FW Driver,  
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s1NjMFapOJKS1FlofsMm9H_bh2z32pJY/view?usp=sharing

First turn the radio off,  uninstall the version of PowerSDR and the "FlexRadio"  driver that you have listed in your Programs and Features,  then reboot the computer.  

Next install the FlexRadio FW Driver,  and PowerSDR 1.8.6  ,  these should be the only FlexRadio SW showing in your Programs and Features..   REBOOT again .. 

Once the computer has rebooted, then power on the radio and wait for the FW driver to install .   It only installs when the radio is recognized as a valid device.    You can open the FlexRadio Icon (NOT PowerSDR icon)   You should get the Global Settings window with the radio shown as installed.   Now open PowerSDR 1.8.6 , and you should now get the Firmware update message ,  and it should complete now...   Once done and PowerSDR 1.8.6 is working ,  again uninstall PowerSDR and the FlexRadio driver,  REBOOT again ..   Install the version of PowerSDR you want to use now,  In later versions, the FW driver got automatically installed,  be sure you REBOOT again before turning on the radio to install the latest FW driver.. 

Hope this helps. 

Dudley
    WA5QPZ

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Wow! Thanks Dudley. Exactly what I was looking for!

I will report back...
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    OK - performed the process. Still no go. Here are a couple of screen shots from the 'Flex Radio' app.
    Looks like this app does not see a 1394 card.

Strangely, I do get the proper PC 'install' sounds when I install the Firewire Card (by turning on the 5000A). Never got that before.

• Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    ok, thx Alex. I have another Firewire Card - I'll try that one. Not sure if it is Texas Instrument chipset or not.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I hope you get your 5000A running. Firewire still is a bit problematical with Windows, as it is prone to latency issues. Running a latency checker program can be helpful. As I use my Flex3000 for EMCOMM and fieldday work, I run PowerSDR 2.8 on rugged notebooks. Both the GETAC S400 and the Toughbook CF-52 are on the used notebook market here for about 400€ and both work faultlessly with Firewire and the Flex3k.
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Tried my other Firewire card - (VIA chipset) - same results. I get the proper PC 'install sounds' when I turn on the 5000A.

I think all I need is 5000A Firmware 1.3.0.8.exe or 1.3.0.8.bin

I'll bet that will fix everything

Surely, someone has that (I have asked Flex - support ticket for it, too)

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Alan, In the Global Settings window, go to System -> select “Show Additional Details”. -> “Scan Now”. You can save the text or give me the info. Also your buffer size should be 2048. Also what OS are you using? Dudley
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    SUCCESS!!!

Flex sent me the 1.3.0.8.exe Firmware. Installed. Then installed PowerSDR 1.18.6 - Bingo, ll working!! The 2008 Firmware was so old (1.2), it had to be upgraded to 1.3.0.8 (and PSDR 1.18.6) before it could accept PSDR 2.x.x.x

I upgraded to 2.4.4, then 2.8.x.x

Working perfectly

This was probably the only instance of this occurring on Earth. How many NEW 5000A's exist from 2008?

Quite a challenge.

Kudo's to all who chipped in, indeed...

Alan, W4FBI
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Glad you have it operational now. Just be extremely careful connecting the FireWire connections and nearby ESD events (lightning strikes and extremely large RF events). Dudley
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    indeed. thx, Dudley.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.