Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Rotator Control Module in the Smart SDR GUI

Barry Isseks
Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
3rd party rotor control running on associated PC devices seem the solution of choice for rotor control today. Understandably, logging/rotor control programs like HRD etc. do go together like apple pie and ice cream. That said, the convenience of having a rotor control as a module directly built into the Smart SDR GUI would make remoting with a single device a lot easier. Curious as to the feasibility of this idea, or if I have missed progress in this area please comment. Thanks.. Barry K6ZA

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Barry,

Rotor control within the Flex GUI will likely never be implemented. Radios primarily contain frequency information, not azmithal information. Plus there are more than a dozen popular rotators. Which protocol(s) would you support? Flex is committed to developing cutting edge radio technologies like multiFlex that do not exist in the industry as well as the best "affordable" ham radio on planet Earth. Could it be done yes, but I for one would rather have Flex's resources working on bug fixes and new innovations. All of my logging programs handle rotator control seamlessly.

Just my $.02

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You can run your Flex with SmartSDR from a laptop. That one screen can have your radio, rotator control, logger, etc. It does get a bit crowded and that's why I like having the radio on aseparate screen. I prefer to use a Maestro for CW, SSB and digial mode whenever possible.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Barry, Unfortunately, running via Smartlink, does not allow for any of those other features (ie. rotor control, additional antenna switching, etc) I’ve been asking FRS to add an additional function to the USB Cable interface. A simple USB COMM port available via the SmartCAT interface, by allowing the creation of a connection between SmartCAT and a USB/SerIal port cable (Same model of USB/Serial port cable used for SteppIR control). Once, the Virtual COMM port has been created, any control utility (DDUTIL, Rotor Control, Antenna Switcher, etc) can use created port. 73’s de Mike wa6fxt
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I use PST Rotator AZ and it allows access remotely via a web page (need to configure PST Rotator and open appropriate port in firewall). Using SmartSDR for IOS, I can minimize SSDR for IOS and access rotor control from a web page. This is easy. I also have another app that allows access to my Data Loggers Web Switch Pro for turning devices on & off remotely. Dave wo2x
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    If you’re using a PC local to your radio, you’re defeating the purpose of using just my F6700. Mike wa6fxt
  • Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Rotor Control without PC Option - I use a Micro Bit 1216H Web Switch with serial port to control the rotor. The unit also has 5 relay contacts to turn my Flex and Amp on. I also switch a few antennas with the unit. Have been running the unit the last two winters remote.

I use the DCU-1 format for my  Hy-Gain Tail Twister. A TTL to RS-232 converter must be installed between the 1216H to Rotor which can be purchased from Amazon for less that 15 dollars.

This assumes that you already have a serial port board  or other purchased rotor control already installed. If not a serial port board/control can be purchased from Idiom Press in kit form or
     pre-assembled. The 1216H already has a Web page that can be accessed on your LAN. Accessing remotely port forwarding can be setup in your router for internet access.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.