Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mac with VirtualBox Windows VM or Parallels or ???

dlwarnberg
dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
Has anyone had any luck with running the Flex Radio software on a Mac via Parallels or VirtualBox Windows VM or ???  Looking for anyone that has any success with any of them and any additional software you may have run with it like DDUtil, etc ... I have an Elecraft Amp, Tuner and two transverters and am looking for a solution so I can possibly TOSS this windows machine once and for all or is there talk of Flex writing their SDR code for MAC....or am I forever doomed?

Thanks

Answers

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I was able to operate on Parallels on Mac. The twist is I had to modify the Parallels networking mode to directly share the Mac network so UDP discovery of the Flex worked. Otherwise it was fine.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    thank you
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Have also run SSDR on Mac under Parallels with bridged network, as well as VirtualBox under Linux.
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I certainly concur with George’s opinion - on a Mac, use dogParkSDR, until you need to run SSDR to update software on the Flex - then use that VM.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've been using Parallels for about 4 years and never had a problem running SSDR on my MAC. Like George said, dogparkSDR is also a native program on the Mac to run your Flex radio. Both do a fantastic job.
  • Jim - wa6our
    Jim - wa6our Member
    edited June 2020
    I use both Parallels and dogParkSDR.  They both work 100% with the latest versions of Mac OS X.  I am currently running Mojave and has had no problems.  As said before you need to be careful on how you setup your network.  Otherwise no issues.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have used Parallels and VMware fusion and they both work well.  The problem with Parallels (unless they changed their licensing policy) is you had to pay more each Mac installation (I have 3 Macs) and you had to pay to update every year.  With Fusion, I can run on all 3 Macs and not have to purchase for each one.  Also, I don't have to pay an update fee each year to keep in working.  The updates are optional.

• Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have used parrallels since version 1 series of Flex software on a now 9 year old Mac Tower.
    There were speed issues in the very early days of version 1 but once Flex got to version 2 the software has had no issues with performance.
    As with all Macs memory size effects operating performance. If you have performance issues at all upgrade your memory size.
    I have had no issues with Parrallels and highly recommend it. Good advise on the network settings, worth noting, made the same mistake.
    Ham radio Delux, Flex Smart SDR, WinLink, FT8, PC-ALE etc. all have worked well locally and via remote using Parrallel remote access.
    Don’t forget your Mac can also run Windows natively by booting up in Windows 7 and even 10 if not too old a Mac.
    I have had none of the Windows issues in 7 that we hear about from updates in the last 3 years running natively (booting up in Windows 7)). Perhaps the Apple drivers for Windows are better matched to the hardware.
    Last the dog park software is great and has worked well for me also.
    The Mac Hardware platform is my preference for Windows when required.
    Watts
    K4QJZ
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Lots and lots and lots and lots of success using parallels. I even remote in to my MacOS/Parallels combo with teamviewer running in MacOS, and everything works great. With two monitors and a MacPro, it’s like having to completely different machines. You can’t tell that the W10 display is a VM. I sometimes use DPSSDR to run all Mac when doing Sats, but usually run SSDR in W10 along with WSJT-X. I run MacLoggerDX in MacOS, and connect everything with JT-Bridge. You can very successfully use a Mac for all of your ham radio desires.... ;-) Hope that helps a little, good luck! 73 Justin KL2D
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    One thing no one has mentioned, but can be a big part of being successful running Windows in a virtual machine is the ease of creating “restore points” - whenever you make a change that you want to be able to get back to, just make a copy of the virtual machine file :-) Quick and easy, and I’m sure everyone making use of VM’s knows about it, just didn’t mention it as a positive.
  • WA6FXT Mike
    WA6FXT Mike Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I’ve been running SmartSDR under “Bootcamp” for years. Bootcamp with Win7 Ultimate works fine, including DDUTIL v3. I’ve also run SmartSDR under VBox (Win10) on. 17” MacBook Pro. The only reason I haven’t switched to Dogpark is that it isn’t quite ready for prime time, YET. 73’s de Mike wa6fxt
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just remember running any of the solutions like VM, Boot-camp, or Parallels it is still running Windows, 
    Windows 10 will still have the same issues you had on the other hardware and Windows 7 is at the end of life soon. 
    I wish I could get my mind around DogPark to go native but I still have a lot of issues with it.
    A couple years ago they talked about making MAC run IOS which would have been great with the SmartSDR for IOS APP but I think that idea got dumped in the trash. 

I have heard some people playing with WINE on MacBook Pro but haven't gone that route to see if I could get it running and load DOT-NET 4.0 under WINE. 
    If DOT.NET 4 won't load don't bother trying to run SmartSDR installer under WINE it won't work, Maybe next **** weekend I'll give it a go.

Bret
    WX7Y

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks George
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Just an update, started playing with DogPark.. so far so good but am still evaluating 

Thanks for all the replies
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have been using Dogpark for about a year and love it !
  • Norm Ryan
    Norm Ryan Member
    edited March 2019
    Just downloaded the Dogpark software for 6700 that arrived on Monday.  Any user manuals hidden ?

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    the manual for dogpark are on the website
  • K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Rick, how did modify Parallels to make it work?  I am able to run SmartSDR on the Mac, Catalina OS, Windows 10, Parallels, but the only radio that it sees is the FlexRadio 6400 that appears to have a WAN MAC address.  The LAN radio does NOT appear.

If you could, can you share what screen you might have navigated to in the Parallels setup and what values you entered to finally make it work.  I am at my wits end, here!
  • bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I am in parallels using win 10 xfrd from my pc connected to my network i can ping the flex at 192.168.2.169 which is its adx but smartsdr cannot see any radios. I have shared the mac network as recommended but see screenshot from win 10 showing a 10.x.x.x adx yet it pings fine. I know its a paralells setup issue as my win10 machine works fine on the same net. What do i need yet?image
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You must use a Bridged network setup in Parallels - that way you will be in the same broadcast domain with your Flex (and the Mac). If your Mac and your Flex are on a 10. network, your Parallels version of Windows must also be on the 10. network.

You do this by setting Parallels up for bridged networking.
  • bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You got me on the right track after thinking ... I went to parallels win 10 hdwre configure and changed share mac network to thunderbolt ethernet adapter then in win 10 network used dhcp and changed dns server adx to my private network router adx of 192.168.2.1 the restarted windows and all works fab now. Thanks. image
  • K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Update from the original post - I'm still trying.  And I'm not there, yet.

As of today, I am able to connect to and operate the FLEX using SmartSDR under Windows 10, using Parallels on my Mac, BUT ONLY WHEN I'M ON AN OUTSIDE INTERNET CONNECTION.  On the plus, at least that proves that Parallels and SmartSDR can work, which many of you have confirmed.

When I try to run it on the LAN, it only sees one radio, and it is my FLEX-6400 on my CenturyLink static IP address, not my LAN.  IT DOES NOT SEE MY RADIO ON MY LAN.

Ken, at FLEX, has been an incredibly good help!  Unfortunately we've not gotten this issue solved, but I don't blame him as he is not a Mac user, and especially not a Parallels user.

I found a network configuration screen in Parallels and it says that the Mac needs to be connected to the following network.  It has the following settings:

Start address - 10.211.55.1
    End address - 10.211.55.254
    Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    Subnet - 10.211.55.0

The IP address of the FLEX-6400 is 192.168.0.39
    The IP address of the Maestro is 192.168.0.38

When I "come in" from the outside, the port forwarding seems to properly route the traffic thru to the FLEX and it works.  The router is at address 192.168.0.1, on the LAN side.  So the FLEX and the incoming router are on the same network, and it works.

I am suspecting that with the Parallels VM interface to Windows it looks like it must be on the "10" network and that may be my problem.  Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it.

I don't use Windows for much of anything other than local special purpose applications like the FLEX Radio, or programming the Intellitec control pads in our motorhome, or any other Windows only applications, but I don't want to "break it!"

If my analysis is right, is there such a thing as a guide as to how to reconfigure Parallels to operate on the "192" network?  Somehow I suspect that might fix my problem.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I just fired up Parallels and checked out a few things. The key is to go to the Parallels network settings (in the Window that has the Windows version you are running, it is the cobweb icon. Set to Bridged Network, and pick Ethernet (or however your Mac is connected). In the picture below, you can see that my IP address is 192.168.133.31, which comes from my LAN router (192.1698.133.0 network). Sees the Flex locally just fine. I think I mentioned this once before. Good luck.

• K7JV
    K7JV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thank you, Ted, thank you!!  My screens don't look anything like what you show above, but I was able to find a screen that had similar choices and tried the Wi-Fi AND IT WORKED!!!

My top bar didn't have any of the icons that I see on your picture, and definitely no spider-web icon.  But you gave me the pointing that I needed to find where to fix it.

Again, thank you so much!!!
  • karlg
    karlg Member
    edited June 2020
    Have any of you had an error with running SmartSDR CAT? I get this error when launching SmartSDR 3.1.12 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 running Parallels Desktop Pro 15.1.4 with Windows 10 x64 v1909.

I've got SmartSDR running on my Windows 10x 1909 where SmartSDR CAT runs without issue.

Any thoughts?

Thank you & 73s

Karl, K0EG

• Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    No similar error here, running current versions of SmartSDR and CAT in current version of Parallels in Catalina.
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have the same versions of Mac OS, Parallel, and SmartSDR 3.12 running with no issues with Windows 10 same version and windows 7 64bit.
    I would suggest you save all your profiles. Then do a complete uninstall of SmartSDR and DAX and CAT. Then do a fresh install from a new download from Flex in case there is a glitch in a file installed or downloaded.
    Hope that cleans it up for you.
       Watts
       K4QJZ

• karlg
    karlg Member
    edited June 2020
    @K4QJZ and @N3HQB - thank you gentlemen for your comments and suggestions!

Karl, K0EG!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.