Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v3

Gary Ashdown
Gary Ashdown Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
I note that V3 has some performance enhancements and bug fixes (not actually described in detail). If you are only interested in these features, then don't purchase V3, just wait for V2.5 to come out with these fixes.

Comments

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I may wait 30 days to get those shadow bugs all worked out but I am in for version 3.0!! Helping Flex with the $$$$ investment will continue to get us to 4.0 and 5.0 and beyond!! If you don’t want great upgrages, then Icom or Kenwood or Yaesu might be a better choice!!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Absolutely Robert, am ready to jump in feet first with version 3.0. Can't wait to see the next iteration of the Flex 6K.
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I would not dismiss Flex's competitors so quickly.
    The new versions of SSDR have features that affect a very small part of users.
    First of all Smartlink and then the multiclient. It's okay if you want to play around with IPad and Maestro around the streets but serious operators are looking (and have always asked) other features that up today aren't still there.
    What about a embedded DVK, PSK/RTTY and CW decoder just to name some of them?
    Furthermore, although FlexApi's are available from the beginning, there are no software that use it natively. You don't have any real benefit using a Flex instead of a Yaesu/Icom Rig because you still need to configure com ports, virtual audio cables and so on. If you look inside the APIs you should just need two sockets to get all this working.
    Just to name another one, Expert SDR has TCI protocol that has 10% of FlexApis features implemented, but this is enough to configure a SO2R-CW contest station (with cluster aggregator and spot panadapter feature)  using just EESDR and SDC and one network socket. If I have to do the same with N1MM and Flex I need four com ports,  two audio cables, Slice master,  two CW-Skimmer and truck of patience to keep all these sw components working for a weekend.
    So, now that all competitors has their full featured direct sampling rig, I would start asking myself some question.

73' iw7dmh
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    " Helping Flex with the $$$$ investment ?" What did they "invest" in?
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It requires time and money to develop new software! It takes people to spend days, weeks, months to develop software, and then be able to debug anything that was missed... If they did not do this,, then we would still be on 1.**** version, with only bug fixes.. Now I agree that when you introduce a new radio, you will also get new software,, Like every other brand of radios, but what you do after the initial release is the next step! 

Flex has invested in 3.xx software and everyone, not just Flex 6.**** radios will get, however making something work on every radio and with many versions of windows can be tricky.. At some point in time, Flex needs to stick with enhancements designed for new more powerful operating systems.. 
    I recently went to use a APP on my iPhone and it said that the owner of the software needs to upgrade it to IOS 11 !! This was a $9.95 APP,, so another letdown on APP development..

Flex wants to make ALL of its customers happy.. But limiting the flexibility of software due to limitations in the internal Horse Power of the device can be a drawback..
    I hope that we are Very Pleased with what Flex will introduce with 3.xx software. I hope my 6600M will be happy.

I own several high end DSLR Olympus Cameras. Over the last few years Olympus gave us new software that added more Features to the camera, Made the camera seem like a new model... Now I can take great astro photography shots when attached to my Meade 12" telescope!!! That was a nice addition from Olympus!!
    What Flex is about to do with 3.xx is exactly why I decided to go with the Flex 6600M and not a Icom IC-7610, plus SSDR and all the remote capabilities!!

Last night was interesting for me... I turned on my Sony TV set, Sony 4K player, and Yamaha AVR receiver and all 3 wanted me to do a software upgrade!! I did the 4K unit and TV set, but the Yamaha takes 20 minutes so I will do that on Saturday.. Not sure what was done or added, Already set for Dolby Vision, so these may all be bug fixes??

According to USPS tracking , my parts for my new 160 foot long wire antenna are being delivered today!! Time to get on 80 and 160 meters! Plus should help with VLF reception!! 
    73's
    Robert
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You know Flex could come out with new software and just put in a new box...say a 6600A and you would have to buy the new box to get the new features and bug fixes just like the big three.
    Why people keep complaining about spending $199 for a new version of software is beyond me. If you don't want the new features then do not buy it.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    THIS WHOLE THING HERE IS GETTING REAL OLD !!!!!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Quite the opposite, brand new radio in version 3. The suspense builds.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    V3 is the future upgrade path. There is no guarantee that performance enhancements in v3 will make it to v2. The fixes seem likely. This is based on v1 to v2 upgrade. New features will be added to v3 and not v2. We had the same discussion with v1 vs v2. V2’s major feature is SmartLink but it had some other enhancements as well. Getting v2 wasn’t just about getting smartlink. It was about getting all v2 features and the latest codebase.
  • James Whiteway
    edited March 2019
    Ria, what performance enhancements are you talking about in v3 that most likely won't make it to v2. (if you can talk about it or speculate on it)
    James
    WD5GWY

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I was speaking in general. I don’t have anything that I can share.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Good point Ria, V3 is looking ahead not backwords. It seems reasonable that some performance enhancements would not run back to v2 and we would need v3 to stay up to date.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.