Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

External auto tuners (LDG AT-600)

Dave
Dave Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I am trying to run my 6400M remote and would like to use an LDG AT-600II.  When I used this with an Icom radio I was able force the tuner into tune mode remotely by using the Icom interface cable.  I know this tuner has a full auto mode but does not work as good as forcing it to tune.  Can the Flex interface with LDG?  I fear that tuning at power levels high enough to sometimes trigger the LDG could be harmful to the finals in the flex. Sometimes I need to use 50W before the mismatch is higher than 1.7. Not sure that I really want to be tuning with anymore that 10 watts.  Thoughts ?  

Answers

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Dave, I don't have that tuner but I am suprised you need so much power.

I have an HF auto which is used in Auto mode.  It tunes on 3-5 watts.  So I leave my tune slider at 5 w and hit the tune button.

You would have to check the tuner manual to see if there is a version of a USB cable that might trigger it to do what you want.
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    The difference is the Hf auto reacts based on frequency change. I have one too. The ldg waits for a swr threshold before it attempts to tune
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    i have the ldg 600 remote tuner,   I do NOT like the way it plays with my flex.
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I feel that if I could force it to tune it would be great.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hi Dave, ya sorry... I don't have the tuner so I can't help you.
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have used the LDG AT200 Pro II Auto tuner with my Flex 5000A which did not have a built in tuner.  It works fine.  I hit the tune button on the radio and  it puts out 10 watts, which the tuner displays the tuning power and then starts the tuning steps and displays with the red LEDS the value.  The radio also displays the SWR after it is done.

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    My LDG Z-11 Pro works flawlessly with the FLEX 6300. At ~10 watts it triggers from the FLEX every time. I run it remote and never give it a thought. It's very important to 'train' the tuner ahead of time.
  • WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have the AT-200Pro II autotuner with a 6500.  No problems.  When I do need it, I just need to make sure the ATU in the Flex is on bypass, I hit tune at about 5-10 watts and it does it's thing.
    Bob, WK2Y

• Bernie E Barber
    Bernie E Barber Member
    edited August 2019
    could sent me a copy of your set up on 6500 with the at-200proii!
    thanks Bernie, 
    berniebarber1@yahoo.com
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    i have the the LDG AT-1000PROII, have it set on auto tune, have no problems with it auto tuning, use 10 watts tune power on all bands, it does occasionally tune ok on 10 and then when on full power it will auto tune if its above the threshold. but after the first time its only a quick click and its there, i also only use ant port 2, which is the feedthru, on my beam it doesnt need tuning, so i have flex set up to turn tuner off when on 10,15,20 meters and back on when on 40 and 80, i also use the flex to auto switch antennas using a usb relay board with my ameritron RCS 8VL, works like a dream! Good luck
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dave;

Are you saying the tuner stops tuning when the SWR is at 1.7, and you want it to tune to a lower SWR?

I coulldn't find a spec for acceptable VSWR, but the Flex should be happy at the 1.7 level, to tuning for a lower SWR doesn't accomplish much.

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have an at-600R up on the mast,   Never use it anymore and will take it down and sell it.......My HF-Auto does it all!
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    No! if it starts the tune process it will tune to a 1.1 to 1. but if the SWR is 1.7  or lower it wont auto tune, providing you have the threshold set to 1.7
  • luiz.lissoni
    luiz.lissoni Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Is it possible using LDG Z11 remotely ?\n73\n"}]
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭

Not sure about that model, but if it's like the rest it should work fine.

• luiz.lissoni
    luiz.lissoni Member ✭✭

The LDG Z11 tunes just with the Flex tune ?!?

I use the 600proII in AUTO TUNE mode but I it works based on RF sense no TUNE as icom series does.

I believe we can copy the wiring of the icom-ldg cable and make one to use the FLEX TUNE bottom instead the ldg auto mode.

• KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭

dont know of an LDG that has a preset or whatever you want to call it like the palstar at auto does. they require an active RF signal to even auto tune, the tune button on the 6000 series works great for that, mine worked great remote, just coudnt change bands. good luck!

• KL4QG
    KL4QG Member ✭✭

My flex 6400m has no auto ant tuner

do I need a control cable to use LDG 1000 pro

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

There is no connection available on the flex to activate a tuner.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.