Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJTX-FT-8 Clock Synchronization

2»

Answers

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Kev K4VD:

If you really want to experiment quickly with different offsets in time, the free Italian Time Sync App called BKTtimesync has an OFFSET field on the user interface screen.   You can leave that window open on the screen and enter positive and negative offsets while running.   The app will take time from Internet NTP servers, or from a USB attached GPS, your choice with check boxes.
    That is a lot quicker than the 10 or 15 mouse clicks it takes to get to the windows 10
    time set/adjust sub-window :-)

Cheers,

Neal
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited March 2019
    This is the set up I use and seems to work great. I have had a TD of 2.5 and still been able to make contact.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Neal. I'll try that out next. You're right... lots of clicking. 

• N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    In my case I have to sync it manually 3 or 4 times before getting close to having it close enough because of the unpredictable lag time to the time server because of the **** AT&T DSL using Dimension-4. Not a big deal but I might try out ToyNTP with one of my 10MHz GPS disciplined oscillators. 
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I work for AT&T the DSL latency to the nearest Internet PoP is about 10 msec, however VDSL is about 28 msec due to the interleaving of frames to gain better error performance and correction.  The rest of the delay comes from the Internet hops, servers and the end devices.
  • N8FNR
    N8FNR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use BktTimeSync for syncing the time. Works great. https://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    @Neal.   "It appears as though you are claiming that one or another time sync programs might not let you decode FT-8 as well as another?  I might have read your reply wrong?"

I mean nothing of the sort.  Up to the time of my first post everyone was recommending their favorite NTP software package to answer the original posters question.  I simply gave an alternative way to manage the time for him to consider.  He can decide what option is best for his operating style.
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Stu,  I downloaded Dimension4, does it synch the lower right time on the windows display.  i did not see that or perhaps missed it.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Since Dimension 4 sets the computer’s clock, of course the displayed time will be whatever Dimension4 thinks it should be. Just be sure to point it at a functioning ntp server site. I am not a Dimension 4 user, so cannot direct you to its log files to verify its operation, but I’m sure it must have a way of telling you that it is working correctly.
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    TNX  fr the link Zack, seems to be working fine with my old GPS receiver, time will tell lol
    73 vidas
  • Stu      2E0XXO
    Stu 2E0XXO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    as per Teds response, it sets the PC time and time for any program that takes its time from the PC.
    You can set the synchronisation frequency to whatever you require. I have mine set at 10 mins. i always hit the OK button as a double check before i TX and it will confirm on screen any adjustments it has made.just like below.
    hope this helps.  stu
  • Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thank you both

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.