Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6400M v2.4.9.155. Display occasionally locks up or develops a hiccup.

Woody Hester
Woody Hester Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Have had rig several months.  No problems.  Recently, display started freezing up or developing hiccups.  Shutting the rig down and restarting it always fixes it.  Seems to want to do it once a day.  Rig is not hooked up to the internet, have been on this same release since it became available, no recent changes to any settings.  Ideas?  Thanks / **** / WD9F

Comments

• Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    I have a 6600M and on 2 occasions in the 2 months or so I have owned it, it has crashed. Anyway that's what the code says. I get 2 red flashes and it reboots. Now I had a 6300 for one year and it never crashed. But I am not too concerned, it's a fairly new radio there will be hiccups. I am sure they will sort it out. It is so random it would be very hard to find I would imagine. But I can assure you, you are not alone :-)

Bill K4FX
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have had my 6600M crash once or twice, but only when I did something silly that created RF where I didn’t really want it. No problems any other times. (I only run barefoot.)
  • Woody Hester
    Woody Hester Member
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Bill!  Glad to have some company :-)

• Jerry WA3GYG
    Jerry WA3GYG Member
    edited March 2019
    Jerry  WA3GYG

I had a shut down issue early on and it turned out to be the power supply. When the supply was under load the voltage was dropping and the flex did not like that. I had been sharing the power supply with other equipment also,  but I got a new power supply and dedicated it to the flex. No issues since then.

Good luck
    Jerry
    WA3GYG
  • Woody Hester
    Woody Hester Member
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Ted.  Should have included this, but I also do not run an amplifier and my display freezes when I am just listening.  Not related to transmitting and my feed line and antenna are clean. No RF in the shack.
  • Woody Hester
    Woody Hester Member
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Jerry.  Power supply is dedicated to 6400M and of more than sufficient amperage, but will check it out just to be sure.
  • Tim N9PUZ
    Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Mine was not crashing but it developed several quirks with some Dax related controls that seemed to get worse with time. A few weeks ago I did the full reset procedure and it has been solid ever since. It'd be interesting to know what operating system or framework they are using.
  • Woody Hester
    Woody Hester Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi Tim.  Thanks.  Haven't done the full reset yet.  Just opened a ticket with Flex so will see what they suggest.  Hope you had a great weekend! / **** / WD9F
  • Bobby Pace
    Bobby Pace Member ✭✭
    My display on my 6400m freezes when I transmit but comes back on after I unkey after a few seconds, sometimes it blacks out for a for a few seconds then will come back on also, I was thinking it was RF related but I’ve tried everything replacing jumpers etc ?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Sure sounds like 1 of 2 things, RF getting back into the display on the radio if this only happens on Transmit, I would go on a hunt and track that down, Does it do it when running low power like 5 watts?

OR it could be your Power Supply and wiring NOT having enough voltage / current, Put a Volt meter across the Power Pole connectors on the back of the radio and see if the voltage drops more then 1.5 volts when you Transmit at 100 Watts if so then I would go on the search as to why it has so much voltage drop.

• Bobby Pace
    Bobby Pace Member ✭✭

Thanks, I’m still thinking RF it only does it with my amp on, I should have said that from the beginning, I might need to move the amp away from the radio

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bobby,

How close is your operating position to the antenna? How is the antenna fed (end fed, OCF, center fed dipole or beam, etc)? Does the problem happen on all bands? Answers to these questions can be clues as to how the RF is coupling in.

RF gets into gear in the strangest ways. Before moving the amp, I would look at all the station wiring. I have had success in the past by unplugging everything not essential to the signal path. One time it was my mic cable, another time it was my PK-900 TNC (back in my Pactor days...). The RF can run along ground wires, so try removing them temporarily as well (or add them if you are not grounded). If you can get it to transmit with everything possible removed and you still have the issue, you can be fairly sure it is getting in through whatever is left. You can then try clamp-on ferrites on the remaining cabling to see if that solves the issue.

Len, KD0RC

• Bobby Pace
    Bobby Pace Member ✭✭

Thanks for all the suggestions, I moved the Amp as far away as I could, but also added ferrites on everything other than my antenna feed lines and jumpers even my Mic cables, it worked I’ll maybe do a eliminating test at a later time, Thanks again, W4TSH

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Glad you got it working!

Len

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.