Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What type of Amp are you using??

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Collins 30S-1 has a CAT Interface (that was the question)
  • N4YDU Nate
    N4YDU Nate Member
    edited March 2019
    Two Acom 2000As from a Flex 6600M for SO2R. The amps are not connected to the computer.

Nate/N4YDU
  • Bill Barber
    Bill Barber Member
    edited March 2019
    Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 with USB BCD cable from 6500.

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm also using my Cat controlled 2K-FA and waiting for the PG-XL!   
  • Steve Bunting
    Steve Bunting Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I also have an Expert 1.3 with full cat control. Also provides nice band by band feedback on drive limits. Also have an acom 600s with Cat and an acom 1000 without cat
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    6700 with SPE 1K-FA CAT Controlled And SPE 1.3K-FA CAT Controlled
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    1.  SPE 2K-FA.  2K-FA frequency and 6700 power controlled with CAT through USB port on back of 6700.  Other settings controlled with SPE's Term_2k_USB Windows app.

2.  Acom 2000A.  (Used during contests to get full 1500 Watts for RTTY and because it is much quieter than the 2K-FA.)  CAT connection to PC using DDUTIL, but rarely used.  Most control is done with the 2000A's remote head and a quick tune (or dit or whistle) from the 6700.

3.  Still waiting for PGXL.  Exactly 25 months as of today.  (1st day order 2/8/17)
  • Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dishtronix Prometheus DX-2400, CAT controlled and a new Alpha 9500 on the way.
  • Erik SM0JCA
    Erik SM0JCA Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi!
    The Flex needs a USB/RS232 cable with the FTDI chip and a special DSUB contact to the amp. The Prolific chip will not work.
    I have the Flex 6400M and Acom 1200S with tuner 04AT and found a work-around to make it work sort of.

I have spent several hours to dig deep inte this question and been in extensive contacts with Acom and Kari, SM0HRP. M0MTA has also beem a great help. As it turned out this is a known issue that Flex and Acom is aware of and hopefully a solution is on its way.

There is however a work-around that is working for me.

Tuning is not implemented for automatic tuning from the Flex, the Acom commands with CAT ON are not able to switch Flex 6400 to the  continous carrier mode. Pressing the Acom 1200S TUNE button with CAT ON results in the amplifier hanging up. I needed to power off the amp and change the CAT function to OFF by scrollong down the amp meny to CAT SETTINGS and select OFF.

Going back to the main amp screen and with CAT OFF press TUNE and you will see APPLY 20-30W HF on the amp screen and the tuner will be ready for the tuning. I have installed a CW key for manual keying of the Flex 6400 and set it to 25W output in straight key mode. At key down the tuning is carried out and the 04AT tuner does a perfect job. I have done this on two multi band antennas going through all the Acom amp band segments.

When this is done I go back to CAT ON (RS232) and the system is working seamlessly following band and fequency from the Flex 6400 with a good match by the tuner.

Just my 2 cents...

Kari, thanks for the pitch....

Erik/SM0JCA
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am also using CAT control between the two.
  • Erik SM0JCA
    Erik SM0JCA Member
    edited March 2019
    The SB-221 has a high voltage realy input, please be aware that it will **** your Flex amp keyer output.
    You will need a separate isolation realy or MOSFET.

/Erik SM0JCA

• Joel H
    Joel H Member
    edited March 2019
    Hello Mike good luck with your survey, I have the following amps in line that are used for MARS and amateur service with the Flex 6600M
    Ameritron AL-572
    Ameritron ALS-1300
    Alpha  87A Omega
    No auto control on any of them, they are switched through a 3x4 W2IHY

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ameritron AL82 no CAT no AGC cable. Works well just can't run remote and change bands unless barefoot. No PGXL ordered, yet.  ;^{P
  • Paul Burton
    Paul Burton Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm using an old Tentec Centurion tube amp.  Works great but no CAT.  It needs all the power the flex can generate.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Old meets new...64ooM and Heathkit SB 220. Full manual control cause I can't seem to find a CAT port on the 220
  • Frank W2YK
    Frank W2YK Member
    edited March 2019
    Sounds (I mean feels) like my Henry 3K Premier....

Frank, W2YK
  • K1SZO
    K1SZO Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks, my SB-221 has all the Harbach upgrades.   Including the Soft-Start upgrade to protect my SDR radios.   I've also added a standby switch to boot.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Very funny Martin. I haven’t heard the term “Inverse Snob Appeal” used for decades! By the way, my first SSB rig was an SB101, which I foolishly sold in the ‘70s. Fortunately, I recently obtained a mint condition full SB101 lineup, including power supply, external VFO, speaker and amplifier, from a deceased VK7 estate. I was also very fortunate to be able to locate and re-purchase a sweep tube amplifier I built in the 1960s in a genuine SB101 case using genuine Heathkit front panel hardware. As my 6700 and 2K-FA are remotely controlled from a solar powered greenfield site, a three and a half hour return trip drive away, the only gear I have in my home shack is also all biologically controlled. Best 73 Winston.
  • CharlieW
    CharlieW Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Elecraft KPA-1500, Flex 6400, Maestro. CAT controlled.
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Alpha 374  or SB220   "Cat Free Zone"
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    i have a Flex 6600 with the controlled ALS-1306

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Enjoy the building journey. Don't rush, make sure you follow each step of alignment. Both Mike and I are using B26 RF 2K
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    F6600 & RF-KIT B26 amplifier USB/CAT control.
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Highest Feature to price ratio. Very affordable, and so many fearures.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Alpha 9500. I use an Ethernet/RS232 converter to control the Alpha remotely using the Alpha app. Any chance to get a "bidirectional serial pass-thru/remote COM port" mode on CAT? Then I could control the Alpha and my Green Heron from the Flex. Would solve most of my VPN issues with SmartLink.
  • Patrick Greenlee
    edited March 2019
    OK, what amp are you using?
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    B26-PA see www.rf-kit.de
  • Justin W4JTD
    Justin W4JTD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    PGXL with Ethernet control and 6700, it has been working great for me both local and remote.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Mike, Are you going to publish your poll results? Thanks Sergey, KN7K
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Mike - I am using the Elecraft KPA500 and KAT 500 tuner.

73 Paul w2eck

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.