Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Withdrawal pains

Michael Coslo
Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Cold sweats.... shakey hands...splitting headaches.... feeling dizzy. Hard to stay awake, but can't go to sleep.  Crippling depression..

Just traded in my venerable 6300 for a 6600 and a Maestro. Shipped it off yesterday, and I'm going through FWS (Flex Withdrawal Syndrome) big time.

Been years since I've been without a Flex on the desk, and it's tough friends, tough indeed. Looking forward to my new radio rides when they arrive.  In the meantime, the shack is getting a long overdue de-messification. 

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Wow,,nice upgrade, how long till you get your stuff? till then maybe log into someones radio and use it in the mean time?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Probably a little over a week, mabe two. My old ride needs evaluated, then the plastic money comes out and the new stuff is on it's way.

I do have an Icom 746 to use, but I'm spoiled rotten by my SDR!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well, if anything it helps us appreciate what we have, I think.
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I am also tied to my new to me 6500/Maestro A.  I hardly ever turn on my Icon 775DSP anymore, it has not transmitted any electrons since I turned on my Flex.  I have even gotten used to tuning the band using the touch screen.  I do operate my Collins S-Line though every other week.  The 30L-1 Amp is tied to the Flex, until I can afford a SS Amp.  I may be selling the Icom someday soon to put towards a SS amp.

Gene, K1GD
  • Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Michael,

The same at this shack!  And ditto on the de-messification.  I can't count the times this past week when I thought I would start a session with the Flex, only to remember...not yet!

My treasured 6500 went back a week ago, and although my little 703 QRP rig is getting exercised a lot more the last few days, things are just not the same without a Flex in the shack. Timing:  within two days of Flex getting my trade-in, I had an e-mail confirming that their tech staff had checked it out, a credit had been placed on my account, and that the new 6600 would be shipped out on the next business day.  What fantastic service.

My Flex-capade started with a 1500 back in 2012, then to a 6300, then a 6500, and now the 6600.

Now the vigil begins, waiting for the Big Brown truck....
    ---jim KJ3P

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Oh boy, getting FWS is real bad. But at least there is a known cure that has a 100% success rate.
  • Gene Duprey
    Gene Duprey Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    FWS is indeed bad, My 6500 did not arrive until 10:15PM on the day it was scheduled to arrive.  I was a mess from 6PM on until it arrived. ;)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Until it comes in, this will be my support group... 8^)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Maybe I'll get myself a 4K UHD second monitor just to console myself in the meantime.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Michael,

If it will help you can use my radio remote.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited May 2020
    There was no option to send the trade after the new one arrived?
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I use ASUS PB-287Q 4K 32" monitors.  I had reading glasses made for the distance from my face to the monitors.  Yes, with proper eyewear I can read everything on the monitors.  This is very helpful when we are running more than a dozen ham radio apps at the same time.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Looks like some really nice monitors. Yes, I got a pair of computer glasses, and don't know how I did without them. My varifocal are nice, but it turns out where I have to tilt my head to see the monitors gives neck strain. The comp glasses are perfect, but only focus at the right distance - but are really sharp at that distance. Oh, for young eyes again!
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    27-32-27 4K

I have a TV-sized 4K monitor and didn't really like it. With this setup, it's more looking side to side and not up and down. There's also a lot of flexibility having the monitors on arms. The (not-so-difficult) challenge is getting the settings matched so windows remain the same size across the monitors.

Kev

• Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thank you so much Mark. I should be okay. And my better half is expecting me to be working on that office. 8^)
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    No, the old radio gets evaluated first for worth. I guess it might be possible to buy the new one, then send the old one in and get a credit, but dealing this way seems less troublesome than dealing with the credit card companies. I also pay the whole card off every month, so a carried balance might complicate things. 
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    i understand the feelings of being without a radio, traded my 590SG in and wasnt too bad, two days to Texas, two days for them to evaluate, and received my 6400 9th day, there was a weekend in there also, great company to do business, very happy and already sold them another one to a friend of mine, thanks you FLEX!
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    WOW! how many monitors is that?
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    Three 4K monitors. Two 27" surrounding a 32". I've been thinking of dropping the two 27's and adding another 32 but then that kind of reduces the flexibility I have in moving monitors around. I can grab any of the three and reposition it as needed.

Kev

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.