Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Power SDR 2.4.9 keeps crashing on laptop

Ken Golubski
Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This has been a bad day for me and Flex....
After several reboots to get the Maestro working again, I said heck with it, I'll just use the CAT cable directly to the PC and use it that way. Well, now it shuts down saying no connection or can't connect. Doesn't matter what I do....I could try and change the frequency and BAM...gone.
Or I can activate receiver B and down it goes. Exact error says "SmartSDR for wiindows has lost connection to the radio. Please reconnect" Not sure how that happens with the CAT cable connected direct.
I am really begining to think I may have made a mistake purchasing this....
Thanks
Ken

Comments

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You say using CAT cable to the PC, are you using an ethernet cable?  Not sure what you mean?

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I would say the there's a good possibility that that CAT cable is bad..? 

Was the cable the same one that connected the radio to the network when you were trying to get the Maestro to work?

• Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Yes, same ethernet cable. It worked like a champ yesterday.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Everything works until it doesn't.

Got another one?

• Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I do. However, several more reboots of PC and radio, it's been holding for several minutes now. Go figure.....
    Thanks !
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Ken,  I think I remember you were playing with a bridge/access point.  Am I right?   If so is there a possibility your ethernet port on your PC changed configuration?

I know a lot of people use a direct CAT5 able between PC and radio but I just don't get it personally.

Go and buy yourself a fairly inexpensive router that has a small network switch on the back.  Most of these have DHCP enabled, some have WiFi built in.   You plug your radio into the the switch on the back and your PC in the same switch.  

PC needs to be set to DHCP and assuming you don't have a physical program with the radio or the PC they will work.   

I personally find the direct cat cable to be a scary thing as it is very dependent upon ports being setup right.

As far as if you made a mistake, trust me, you did not,  but you simply cannot expect a radio like the Flex to work anything at all iike an Icom out of the box.  It is MUCH MORE COMPLEX.   With complexity comes much greater power and ability BUT it does take some persistence to get everything right.

It feels to me like you are in a state of flux, unless I am mistaken about your access point/bridge, radio, WIFI etc.  If that is true then you cannot hope to have reliable radio operation.

I cannot speak to the Maestro reboots required.  That is in itself a complex device.  Just take some deep breaths and just take things a step at a time.

You have plenty of help here and a helpdesk ticket with Flex will work wonders!

Mark

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Good deal. Have fun.
  • Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks,  Mark. I'm trying  :)

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I know you are Ken and I do get that it is frustrating.

But take it from me... My 6600 and 6300 have run 24/7 with both local and remote access now for well over a year.   

Once you get your networking solid, and don't discount a bad cable!  It can work one day and not the next, then you will love the radio and Maestro.

My radios set in a shed, outside, well away from my op position.  I can op on my laptop anywhere in the house over WiFI and I can op remote from work or just about any hotel that has a reasonable WiFi.

I know of no other radio that does this, this well.  So hang in there!   AND do take advantage of help ticket with Flex if you have issues!

Mark
  • Peter Porschenova
    edited March 2019
    Ken,  It may not be a FLEX issue, it might be a virus or maleware.  I would run anti-virus and maleware program to see if that may be the issue.
  • Steven Catani
    Steven Catani Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I had a very similar problem with shutdowns. I upgraded my network drivers and all the issues went away.

Steve
    n2tao
  • Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You're correct ! Got everything working on the local wireless network and sat out on the patio last night with Maestro and laptop running HRD. All wireless. I had fun.
    Thanks again.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.