Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can't Register SmartLink

WA5YOM
WA5YOM Member ✭✭
I cannot register SmartLink....."could not access SmartLink Server"
I am using a Netgear C7800 with Upnp....it is setup properly, best I can tell......I have a separate switch (GS108T) for the FlexNetwork that is connected to the C7800.....
WHen I check with a port open tool....it shows that port 4994 and 4993 are closed even though they are activated within the C7800,,,,I validated that the port tool works,,,,since it shows that the remote desktop port 3389 is open.
I am at a loss...

Comments

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @Tim WA5YOM - can you post some more details on what you have for an internet and network set up?  It is helpful to lay out what your provider is, whether you're wired or wireless networking, what your operating system is, whether you've firewalls/antivirus running - all that sort of thing.

Fleshing out the information will help people gets ideas to you.

BTW on some of this network stuff I personally had to struggle to get ports sorted out, and in some cases had to do hard boots to get settings to take hold.  YMMV of course.

GL & 73

Steve
    K9ZW
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well...the C7800 is a Netgear Nighthawk Cable Modem Router with the latest firmware.....a port on the Night hawk goes to the Netgear Switch....the switch has the Computer....Flex, etc. connected to it...An additional switch is connected to the Nighthawk and connects to the Home Theater system.
    I have turned the firewall off and on....with the same results...I just reset the router....and have the same problem. Remote Desktop works to the Flex Windows computer.....The Nighthawk UPnP automatically set up port 4993 and 4994...so it saw the request to connect to Smartlink.....
    I have used this configuration before...the only difference is the Nighthawk is new (I changed from Uverse to Cable)
    Thanks,
    Tim Wa5yom
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Tim, The SmartLink server is an authorization server, and does not require that the pass through ports are operational to log in, have you created an uique login to SmartLink server ? Is your radio connected directly to your network and Internet access? and not to to your computer? Dudley
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I have whatever **** stuff Spectrum used when they wired my condo for TV and internet, but it seems to work great with Flex and SmartLink.  
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have previously registered with Smartlink...but the register button is displayed...my computer, Flex,AG and Powergenius are on a switch...the switch is connected to a port on the Cable modem/router...which is directly connected to the internet...it can’t register because it says it cannot connect to the smartlink server.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Tim, the passthru ports, 4993 & 4994, have to point to the radio IP address in order for SmartLink to work properly.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Can you access everything within your LAN? You didn’t have a subnet issue come up with the change in modem? Static addressing can get in the way there. GL & 73 Steve K9ZW
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I can access everything on the network,,,,,,I use static addressing....all along.....subnets look ok...it is pointing to the flex ip.....I did find that the Gateway address for the Flex was incorrect,,,,,,,When I corrected that .....it does not ask me to register,,,,,,,it now knows that I am configured for Smartlink,,,,,,but when I test the Smartlink connection it does not pass.......I have tried Auto and Manual port forwarding.....
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    So...I have it working now....
    The first problem was the Gateway address as mentioned above,,,
    The second problem was UPnp on the Nighthawk,,,,,it automatically created a different external port number that was not the same as the internal...so I had to manually create the port forwarding in the Nighthawk......now....I have manual port forwarding AND UPnp,,,,,
    Thanks
    Tim
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Tim, It’s normal for the external port number to be different from the LAN side ports , and security wise, normally you do not have both UPnP and manual set up for the same LAN IP . Glad you have it working now, good luck, 73, Dudley
  • WA5YOM
    WA5YOM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well..with just UPnp..it wouldn’t work...but when I set it up manally with port forwarding ..and internal/external were the same ....it worked and the ip’s are the same...right now both manual and UPnp are activated...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.