Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Automatic AGC-T

K1UO Larry
K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
By any chance, has anyone who has attended a recent Flex display at the various Hamventions asked Flex when, or if, they will implement an automatic AGC-T feature?   Low band , low signal operating requires continuous fiddling with AGC-t depending on the days or hours band conditions or even when switching bands.  For example, switching between cw bands of 160 and 80, chasing the latest weeeeeeeeeeak signals from Southeast Asia, requires a change in AGC-T settings.  How about it Flex.... This would even help a Contester :)

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think this has been put in as an idea already, it is under consideration.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

Understood.  But if anyone has any recent insights, attributed or not, I’d be interested too.

Here is the idea BTW:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/option-to-automate-the-agc-t-setting

Howard

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi Larry,
    The Automatic-AGC ideas is  #1 on the list by user votes.  See snapshot below. 

If V3 includes a few of the top user requested ideas I'll get it as soon as it's released. MultiFlex will be attractive to some but it's not something I'm going to use.  I'm planning to wait till V3 comes out and see what else is included.  

Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
    Win10

Here are the TOP 3 user requested ideas by Votes.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Also take a look at this idea ( #4 on the list) . It is referenced in the Automatic AGC-T idea and could/should be implemented at the same time. . It was suggested by Howard / KY6LA and I included a mockup from another older idea I entered. It would make both the manual and automated AGC-T features better by providing visual feedback on where the AGC-T is set relative to the noise floor. Here is a link and the mockup is pasted in below also. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/horizontal-line-for-agc-t Regards, Al / NN4ZZ image
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Is there a place to see a list of what's " Under Consideration"?
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well I can see why these are the top requested features .  I think I voted for each at the time..  I didnt expect to see 4-5 years elapse and still not have at least a few of the most requested features  implemented by now.....   as it is, I  had already forgotten that I had voted for these ideas before :))
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hi John,
    Here is the setup to see the list of ideas....and I added a note where you can specify "only the ones under consideration."  However there is a caution,  FRS frequently does not update the status when they are being considered, implemented, etc and many have "no status."  

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Here is where you could just select "Under consideration"

• KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I never noticed the search filter window. Cool thanks Al.
    Don't think V3 has anything for me but will have to see.
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, it is VERY hard to believe .....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This is one reason I have AGC-T on the AUX2 button on my FlexControl.  Other than frequency, it is the #1 adjustment I make.  Having it on the FlexControl Knob makes it easy.  It was eaven easier when I had my DJ Controller connected and running.  But I haven't used it for several years.   Perhaps I will rewrite the program after I retire this summer.

My Current FlexControl AUX Buttons are:

#1-select active Slice
    #2-AGC-T Adjustment
    #3-Splits  (or sometimes I change it to XIT)

Ken - NM9P
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Ken,   Just set mine up the same way...  really helpful..  and quicker to get at to adjust.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Driving a Flex-6000 is like driving a quality sports car.  One you master all of the fine adjustments and learn how to "drive" it, it is an unforgettable experience.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Ken,
    Agree about the frequent AGC-T adjustments.  And wouldn't it be great to have both the Automatic feature as well as the visual indicators for where it is set relative to the noise floor. 

Even when adjusting the AGC-T manually it would be very helpful for the lines to pop up and show you where you are setting the value.  Once you know the amount above the noise floor that you like it would be so easy to keep it there as conditions change, even manually.  

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.