Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Voice Keyer for the Mac Available Now

Pete - W6OP
Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
A free voice keyer for the Mac is now available. The SDR Voice Keyer can run on the Mac with dogparkSDR or FlexRadio SmartSDR running in a virtual PC or even on another Mac or Microsoft Windows PC on the same network. You do not need xDax or xCat as SDR Voice Keyer handles all audio and control functions on its own.

You can read more about SDR Voice Keyer and download a copy at https://w6op.com

Please leave comments and bug reports in the comment form at the end of the article.

Peter W6OP

Comments

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well done, sir! Might get me on phone again...
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    IInstalled your VoiceKeyer and it works well, the only thing I would like to see is a method to label the voice activation keys. Nice work.
  • Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, that will be in a future version. I'm retired as a professional Microsoft Windows programmer and this is my first shot at programming on the Mac. Since I had it ready to go I wanted to get it out and add more functionality as I go along.

I also wanted it as small as possible but I will have to put bigger keys on it to do labels. The voice keyer has TouchBar support too if you have one of the newer MacBook Pros.
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Awesome , just downloaded and was super easy to set up and use. I also use Audacity so I just followed your instructions and I was in business. 

If you are planning on doing any more with this can I suggest a 10 minute timer and have it play a designated audio file?

Thanks again this is awesome !
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Not a 10 minute timer :-) A programmable timer - in Canada we identify every 30 minutes.
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    That works too !
  • Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I'll have a new version in a week or so and I am adding labels for the buttons. This will make it somewhat larger as I allow about 10 characters on each button I am thinking of doing 2 rows of 5 buttons rather than a longer display. I like things compact but I am open to comments.

I can easily add a timer, variable for each persons need. I am curious though how you guys use it that you want a timer. I only use it for DX so my call goes out almost every time. Do you just want it so when you are chatting that it will automatically send your call? Might talk over someone at that point, or just a reminder?
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    In Canada, a timer is hardly necessary, as I don't ever remember talking for 30 minutes, hi hi, and we all end any over by signing. However, my point was only that IF a timer is implemented, it should be variable.
  • W1MSG
    W1MSG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Well I do a lot of rag chewing. The latest PowerSDR from KE9NS for the older Flex units has this ability. Its only one of the things I miss about my 5000, there are numerous other features I miss, but getting the easy remote capability was a plus for a 6000 series..
    Thats why I love the Voice Keyer you have created. !  Probably why I support Open Source as there are so many great programming minds out there. But Flex will never go that route.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    hi pete

i just downloaded v3.0.1 to mac mini running catalina.

i bringup the pref panel, load .wav files then close pref panel
    and NO .wav are saved nor are button populated

every time i close the pref panel the reopen it all the save .wav files are gone

the buttons never get filled in either when loading the  .wav files

Paul K3SF
  • Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'll take a look Paul. I've already have some loaded so let me start with a new install and see if I have broken something. I'll get back to you shortly.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    hi pete

i just downloaded v3.0.1 to mac mini running catalina.

i bringup the pref panel, load .wav files then close pref panel
    and NO .wav are saved nor are button populated

every time i close the pref panel the reopen it all the save .wav files are gone

the buttons never get filled in either when loading the  .wav files

Paul K3SF
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    roger that

• Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Go ahead and download it again. It should work for you now. It was a mistake I made while cleaning up some old code. Of course when I went to fix it I ran into another problem I had to fix too.

Pete
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    hi pete

did a do new download this evening

all is working well just like the old version

i want to thank all the great Mac Programmers here for awesome job they do in developing s/w for flex-mac combo

All this great s/w allows me to play radio rather than being a 'puter nanny

cu
    paul K3SF

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

I tried downloading this several times today but it fails to open. Using Sonoma on a Mac mini M2.

Andy K3UK

• Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭

I'll take a look. I've been using it on my Mac Studio M2 with Sonoma. I don't know if I have tried on 14.4 however.

Peter W6OP

• Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭

Go into settings -> Privacy & Security and in the Security section select AppStore and identified developers. Let me know if that was the problem.

Peter W6OP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.