Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Splitting up coding responsibilities?

Bill -VA3WTB
Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in New Ideas
Hi Flex,
Is it possible to split the coding up into two groups? Perhaps one working on the things that are planned on for each update, and another working only on a few outstanding things. Like band edge markers. all mode squelch, Perhaps having the second team only working on NB, ANF for instance. I know that the noise mitigation is a larger complex task to improve them more. Yes that may slow down the work on the things planned for update feature's   But is that not fare?  Without ever getting going on these things, at least starting, then they never will.

As I read, I only count about 5 outstanding things, I'm not talking about ideas, just the standard things I mentioned that people expect.

Comments

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bill, we always had two software teams wherever I worked: 1) product development / design. (DEV) for new hardware products and new features for existing hardware, 2) "current product engineering" (CPE) for fixing both hardware and software bugs, and.maybe back-porting some things from the DEV team to existing software (and sometimes hardware). However, in the smaller companies where I worked, the line between these two was very blurred, with the same engineering team doing both, with time allocation between DEV and CPE driven by marketing needs.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2019
    Thank you Bill.

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Are you not a bit out of line now? Advising Flex how to run their business and development?  Just asking and won't comment anymore than this.
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2019
    Johan, while I might agree with your statement, let's give Bill a break. He is trying to see things from another viewpoint. Contrary to what you might think, Bill is a nice guy and very much into Flex radios and the company. There are others that would never change their view of issues regarding posts that some may see as critical of FRS.
    I do believe Bill is not one of those people. And he is very helpful on the forums here when it comes to helping people with current issues.
    So, lets play nice and give him a break.
    James
    WD5GWY

• Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I'm sure he is a nice guy. Most here, with very few exceptions, are. But everything must be seen in the right perspective. Advising Flex about how to conduct their business? I don't think that belongs to us to do, Flexradios guests, as we really are in this forum. Enough is enough and I belive that sometimes It's just time to quit.

I will leave it like this, everyone to his own, and I shouldn't even have made this comment. Late night here in Sweden. I enjoy the forum almost as much as my 6700 :) Hope to find it in good shape tomorrow morning.

73 from me Up in the cold north .. -17 oC
    Johan Ps. correction .. just seen it's down to -21 oC now ;)
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Johan, you brought a smile to my face with your comment. If you have followed me here for a long while you would know I would never do that,,,to funny.

To be clear, I am not telling Flex how to run a business, I have never attempted to do such a thing in as many many years here.

I asked based on Flex staff if it could be done, we don't know how they spread work around, and I am certain Flex is already doing all they can at this time.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    James, I have always seen both sides of the debate. My only thought is that Flex is very very aware of your feelings about things not being done in the time some believe they should be. As an example, I will never repeat that question again because I already know Flex staff will read it, my question is noted and it does not need any reply from Flex.

Now I just sit back and enjoy my radio and try to help others and the community. let Flex do what they do best,,make the best radios.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.