Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLex-1500 ATU

G4NRT
G4NRT Member ✭✭
I am going to acquire a Flex 1500 to play with on my frequent business trips.  

Can someone recommend a decent ATU that I can use with end-fed wires either chucked out of a hotel window or draped around a hotel room.

I do have an Elecraft T1 knocking about somewhere.  Would that be a suitable match?

Thanks, David G4NRT/Z21NRT

Answers

• Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I used a Dentron Jr. Monitor tuner with my Flex 1500 for several years.  Worked great, except that it doesn't auto-tune.  The Elecraft KAT-500 works well with the Flex-1500 with the caveat that you'll need a small amplifier to get at least 10 watts into the tuner in order for it to auto-tune.  Neither of these tuners may be what you are looking for due to their size.  You can find more detail about the Dentron Junior Monitor here: https://outbackofbeyond.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/dentron-jr-monitor/  Maybe others can offer suggestions about smaller antenna tuners than these two.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    As I understand.....
    The Flex 1500 will put out 5W and the tuner you have on hand will work from 500mW to 20W.
    ....I think you are good-to-go
    edited February 2019
    The KAT-500 sometimes auto-tunes on 5 watts but if the tuner memory hasn't been set and the tuner needs to do a full auto-tune, the auto-tune won't commence unless I turn on the amplifier.  Once I kick start the auto-tuning with the amplifier, I can immediately turn it off and the tuner completes the auto-tune.  I've had the KAT-500 for five years or so, maybe I should update the firmware and see if the auto-tune performance has been improved with a subsequent update.  
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    David,
    In the unlikely event that the T1 doesn't workout LDG have a line of low power and QRP tuners that have a wide range of matching. I have used an original Z100 with my F1500 from the beginning.
    Although made for coax lines like the T1 you may need a balun for unbalanced antennas. I often put the tuner at the base of the antenna and plug a banana plug into the antenna connector. Works fine.
    Andrew VK5CV.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    David,
    The Flex1500 is very forgiving about output impedance,  open or shorted really does not matter,  I think that the PA is way over engineered to be able to absorb just about any mismatch.   The tuner may be good for RF bandpass,  but really not needed with the 1500,  it will not roll back as it can not message SWR anyways..   Designed just for the kind of service you are planning,  QRP into any kind of antenna.  

Have fun,
    Dudley
    edited February 2019
    I didn't know that.  I have a delta loop that I can't match on the low end of 80 meters, I think I'll give it a go without the tuner and see what happens.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Many thanks to all those who kindly responded. I’ll give the T1 a whirl first I think as it is so compact. 73! 
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Sounds Like a good plan,  I have been working with a Flex6300 from a hotel room since 2013.  I use a Balun Designs 9:1 UnUn and a long wire (26 AWG ) out the A/C vent.  56 Countries.imageimage
  • Phil N3ZP
    Phil N3ZP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    When I owned a Flex-1500 I used an LDG Z-11Pro II tuner, It has very wide range and can be run on AA batteries by installing a battery holder. It tuned my 43 ft vertical and also worked with various wire antennas for Field Day. 

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    David,

Just one other thing if you have not used PowerSDR before on a FlexRadio.  The AGC-T control should be your most used control of the radio,  the setting to the "sweet spot"  ,  background noise is minimized verses the audio,   you will move it alot..  

Enjoy,
    Dudley

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.