Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Was the DDUtil Power Drive Feature Added to SDR Ver 3

Reggie
Reggie Member ✭✭

Was SDR Ver 3 updated with the DDUtil functionality to set the drive power per band when using an amp?

Reggie

N3OP

Answers

• W9YU
    W9YU Member
    edited January 2019
    That would be telling......
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    You can do that now if you're using an SPE Expert Amp. I'm not sure about any other amps doing it. I got it working here after reading the forum post by N2RJ:

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2276 Posts
    • 914 Reply Likes

You can use DDUtil, that is one option.

You can also use the USB cables and have the amp control drive power. I prefer this method because it supports the two inputs for SO2R. DDUtil will only send band data for the current transmit slice so you're really limited to only one output from the radio. I don't know if this has changed but last I checked this is how it was. 

Basically you get an FTDI adapter or make a 9 pin to 15 pin cable according to the SPE manual. Get two if you're using the two inputs.

Use only the Relay line. Do not use ALC. 

Configure your USB ports to CAT mode, and set it to follow the antenna port. 

Then set the amp to FLEX mode.

Adjust drive power using the arrow keys on the front of the amp. You must set it once per band and once per power level (Mid/Max/Low). The front of the amp will display "PC=XX" which is the drive power level. Adjust using a dummy load to set desired power. I believe 1500w for Max, 1kw for Mid, and 500W for low. This is a one time thing. When you change bands, the amp will automatically set power in SmartSDR.

HTH
  • Steve - K5FR
    Steve - K5FR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    DDUtil does not currently support SSDR v3. This is currently in-work.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I use it that way all the time with my SPE 1KA Amp with no issues Ian
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Is anyone doing this with the Elecraft KPA500 amp?

Reggie
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I have a close friend with a KPA1500 connected to his 6500 with a lan cable only. It talks to the amp and everything is controled from the Flex,,it works perfect. No DDUtil

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.