Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Plug and Play Remote-On for FlexRadio

Matt-KD5FGE
Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
This is a repost to keep track in a separate thread.

Hey Flexers,

I wanted to let you all know that we are working toward offering a packaged solution similar to what K7LER commented on a few months ago. In the mean time I wanted to provide some more detailed information on the solution as it is so simple that we are going to be promoting it as the recommended solution.

The solution Consists of:
1. Smart Outlet - For this we have chosen the TPLink Kasa Smart Outlet
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Occupies-HS105-Wall-Light-Electronic-Component-switches/dp/B01K1JVZOE...
2. AC powered relay - Digital Logger Relay
https://www.amazon.com/Enclosed-AC-Protection-Bounce-Terminals/dp/B017743I7S/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&...
3. RCA cable

Instructions:

Use the Kasa iPhone or Android App to set up the outlet.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kasa-smart/id1034035493?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tplink.kasa_android&hl=en_US

Wire the RCA cable to the Digital Logger using the Common and Open terminals.

Plug the RCA into the "Remote-On" input on the back of the radio

Enable "Remote On" in SmartSDR

Boom! You're done!

Enjoy,

Matt Youngblood
KD5FGE

Comments

• Gary F
    Gary F Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I just installed a 6400 at our clubhouse for both local and remote operation.  I used the IrisByLowes smartplug.  One nice feature is that a pc or android can be used for control.  Note that Iris is being discontinued by Lowes.  We have another application in development with more features.
  • Condy Alley NI4Z
    Condy Alley NI4Z Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for this Matt,

I am using the same setup in the photo and another Kasa switch on the power supply.  It was an easy setup and has worked flawlessly.  The Kasa switches are cheap enough.  For a while Amazon did not have the Digital Logger Relay, but they are back in stock now.  I purchased my Kasa Switches at Walmart.  The Android app works great.
  • Chris - NZ6T
    Chris - NZ6T Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks!  I was working on a slightly more complicated solution using Pi and relays.  When I saw this I thought it would be a lot more simplified.  I went with the Belkin WeMo's instead of the Kasa, slightly more expensive but I already had several wemos around the house and ties in.  

I also have a few devices around the house that I want to turn off at the same time to avoid interference.  So I setup an IFTTT trigger so whenever my radio comes on those devices turn off.  And when the radio is off those devices come back on.  Much nicer setup.  It's great being able to say "Hey Google, Turn on the Flex"
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    edited January 2019
    That is great! So cool to be able to tie together devices like that. 
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    edited March 2019
    Hey Flexers,

We finalized the kit version and quick start guide. Here is the link to the pre-assembled kit:
    http://cart.flexradio.com/FlexRadio-Approved-Remote-On-Plug-and-Play-Kit_p_1138.html

I am also attaching the quick start guide for reference. Feel free to provide feedback!

• mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Matt,

Does the Kasa smart plug support multiple users?  Our club got a 6400 and we want to track user activity on the smart plug.  I am working on a solution utilizing the RemoteQTH server.   I have loaded MySQL on the raspberry pi and now am trying to reverse engineer the php code.  It's slow going as I am teaching myself php.   Once I am done I will have a web page on the pi that allows our admin to fetch relay toggle activity.  

I will post more as I progress but your solution is nice (assuming you don't need to track logins).

Thanks,

Mike, W8BE

• Matt-KD5FGE
    edited January 2019
    Seems as if the Kasa plug only supports a single "User":
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1390.html
  • Condy Alley NI4Z
    Condy Alley NI4Z Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Matt,

Could you drop me an email on this?  My email is on file with Flex and I am good on QRZ.com

Thanks,

Condy NI4Z
  • KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This was a great idea. I already had the Smart Plug (below) running in my house. 

Smart Plug Wifi Outlet Compatible With Alexa, Echo, Google Home and IFTTT, Teckin Mini Smart Socket…4 for  $39.98 on AMAZON

I just ordered the AC powered relay - Digital Logger Relay. Got it today. Made up the RCA cable and plugged it in. Took maybe 5 min. to setup. Works great. A great solution.

• Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Currently Amazon shows the Digital Logger Relay as  "Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."   However if you call the company, DLI, they will sell you one. They do not understand why Amazon has this posting. Their telephone number is (408) 330-5599
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    edited February 2019
    We were able to purchase a hand full of units from Amazon. It could just be that they ran out and will restock.
  • biotpolice
    biotpolice Member, Unconfirmed
    I have looked for these loggers in the UK to no avail so far I openly admit I’m not tech but assume the rig remains connected to power supply so I need a WiFi socket for that.

I then need a 240v logger on another WiFi socket and an RC lead from remote socket to logger?

Thanks

Bob
    M0RCX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.