Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL January update

Burch - K4QXX
Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
I have emailed Flex sales with questions about the PGXL orders weeks ago and have never received a reply. The last Flex update I saw was in early December.  Would flex please update us on the status?  

Thanks,
Burch K4QXX

Answers

• dan flynn
    dan flynn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Burch,
    I'm still waiting on an email reply sent 11/12/18 from sales &  cc'ed Matt Youngblood with the same question. 
    Regards,  Dan ww3n
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    It is frustrating.  They tell you to not call but to email and then don't respond to emails.  You'd think sales would respond but I have had no luck. 
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Strange - I've always gotten quick responses from Flex.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I agree.   I do not feel that I am important to Flex Radio systems.
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Also wrote to sales but no answer. 73 Volker
  • dan flynn
    dan flynn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Since we have all engaged Flex in a monetary contract isn't it reasonable to expect a (timely) reply. 
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Dan, I agree with your observation.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well the PGXL is made by a third party So when FRS get more of them they Will inform people Best to call sales for info 73 Mike
  • Richard
    Richard Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Those of us that bought or at least put money down in Orlando 2017 were told that we were part of the 1st Production run of 100 to 113 units.  As of today I am still awaiting that "magical" email that notifies me that they are ready to ship a unit to me.   Doing the math, seems to me that with the message "that they are shipping" the PGXL and the fact I have heard nothing about shipping my unit gives me the idea that things are very slow.  Keeping my fingers crossed and hope that I
    hear something before this years Orlando Show.....

FYI... I have sent emails and have heard back but just "soon" is the basic answer.....

73's
    ****  - N4RWG
  • K5UFO
    K5UFO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    FWIW  Placed order on 12/4/17 for a PGXL. Since seeing some movement on backorders, I thought I would inquire.  Sent same question to "sales@flexradio.com" on 1/8/19 and followed up on 1/16/19.  No reply from anyone as yet.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

What would this forum be without its annual January Whining about "WHEN WILL IT GET THERE" Session....

I could say that patience is a virtue but that would take all the fun out of reading people complaining about waiting for new Radios, Amps, and new Software releases over the past 6+ years

If you bother to look back into the archives, it seems that every January there is a huge outcry about something or another being late according to expectations.

But when you get around Dayton time (when things are usually delivered  - hint, hint) you will see a huge increase in support questions relating to all the new stuff being delivered.

Yes.. I can sympathize with all of you that have deposits outstanding BUT.. getting things right on new products takes time and usually takes much longer than the best guesses of the engineers because unexpected gremlins always take longer to fix...

There are PGXL out there.. some are being delivered to non Alpha testers- but the factory build has limitations and it will take time to fulfill the large backlog of orders especially since every unit needs to be bench tested before shipping.  - My best guess is that Flex is doing everything possible to get you your product as they only make money when they deliver. 

Whining about it wont make it happen faster.- but its fun to read the whines...which by the way are much milder this year than it prior years...

Within limits of the NDA, V3 software is in ALPHA-  Delivery times are impossible to guess until most every bug has been found and squashed.   Again when inventing something that no one has ever done before, it always takes much longer than the engineers think it will.

• bobby
    bobby Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Once they have your money you go to the bottom of the list, otherwise it wouldnt have taken 2 years to deliver some of the orders I thought there were laws about that from the federal trade commission, oops never mind government shutdown ...
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited January 2019
    My PGXL is fully paid for long ago Been waiting almost 2 years ( 21 months ) It will be ready when it is ready 73 Mike
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Weren't the deposits. "making money?" Paying $1000 and waiting 2 years one cannot fault them for frustration. Please name another amplifier where a $1000 deposit was made and no product, now  coming up to two years.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

EASY... I recall putting at least $1,000 down to buy Serial No 1 of the Signal One Transceiver... took about 30 months to get the first one..
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You will never see me put a deposit down for any ham equipment. I bought the 6400M just after the deposit came off and I wasn't that far behind those that paid a deposit.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    @Burt.. some of us are less risk adverse that you are... and we enjoy being a bit further ahead in the line.

The cost of $1,000 for two years at then prevailing consumer bank deposit rates is less than a coffee at Starbucks.. probably why I don't drink coffee...
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    While I champion Flex's stance on making sure the product is 100% before it ships, I can't help but wonder why it has taken this long, especially with two companies involved in the creation of this product.  We're not waiting on a new version of the Space Shuttle or an electric car, just an HF amplifier.

I have no doubt FRS realizes what they're risking by this long production delay.  Technology of competing companies are not standing still; the soon to be released Version 2 of the SPE 1.3K an 1.5K HF amplifiers are good examples. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I for one would not wait 2 years for an amp. Life is too short especially when there are other alternatives. I Love my Elecraft Amp. Delays with the amp, Delays with the new 6 series radios, Maestro delays, Software bugs not getting fixed, Smartlink server issues on and off see a pattern here. Been asking for NB fix for 3 years now. I still like the Flex.

How about an official word from Flex on this amp delay.

Ok I'm ready to get bashed here for my comments.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Howard, Respectfully,      I do not believe you.   At the rate of PXGL reservations to deliveries I looks to me as if the  are only getting further behind and that would also explain the silence. 1000.00 deposit and nothing to show for it except .......promises?
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am sure that several are thinking about another amp.... 
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Howard, I was not "whining" when I posted this question.  Flex has said the best way to communicate with them was through email.  They encourage you not to call on the phone, but to email  So I emailed a question regarding my order and never heard from them.  If that is "whining", then I guess I am a whiner. 

I understand that the amp will get here when it gets here.  I have another amp so I'm not really in a hurry for it but it would be nice if Flex would at least answer emails.  I have been a Flex owner since the original 1000 and have owned 7 Flex radios over the years.  I have always gotten timely responses from them over the years when I have reached out to them until recently.  I understand they are extremely busy but for the sales department not to get back to a customer or potential customer doesn't make sense to me.  I guess it is because I am a "whiner".

Burch
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I have to chip in. I am nobody special, except to my wife, dog and 3 cats, I have emailed Flex Sales on several occasions over the last 8 weeks and have always had a response within 24 hours, in fact on some occasions, within minutes when our time zones coincide.

My queries were for a product of half the value of a PG amp and I was made to feel that Flex wanted my business and cared that I got exactly what I wanted.
    Tim

• mikeatthebeach .
    edited January 2019
    Yes Another competitive Company has a Pair of 1K80 devices prototype in development So that means there will be more competition To come ! 73 Mike
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Steve, No problems with your comments. not all are fair,,but it is what it is. This is all part of being, or staying with  Flex, we can all chose. 

One reason many people are still waiting for their amp and not jumping ship is because the PGXL is not like most other amps, it is made to a higher standard then most and can do things others just can't.
  • dan flynn
    dan flynn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Howard,

The Ability of an organization to attract and retain customers is vital to its success.  A company works very hard to build up customer loyalty when there are several vendors available.    Loyalty is shaped by positive experiences of the purchase.  Loyalty factors that contribute to the experience are convenience, availability of the product, delivery, and the return policy.  If a company finds themself in a jam with their customers delivery they need to be out ahead of the problem communicating with their customers to keep that loyalty.   There was an expectation with the picture of the van with all PGXL boxes that inventory wasn’t an issue.  Specifically In my case there was a phone call  I had with Matt Youngblood about  a delayed delivery of the amp and I was trying to coordinate delivery time with when to take my family on vacation in the summer of 2017. I moved my vacation date to accommodate estimated delivery. Well that was a useless exercise .    As an engineer of 30 yrs I have been in the horrible place once or twice early in my career of blowing schedule.   It’s an **** whipping to be sure until it’s resolved.  I’ve also been on the plus side bringing in  $100M products in on time and under budget…that feels good… I also know it’s hard to get ride of underperforming people in a family business.  Anyway, I do agree with others that the unit earmarked for me was probably given to some DX group, or some ARRL elected officer, big name in radio, etc. for marketing purposes.  I don’t think anyone here is really whining .  A quick email giving me a heads up and I will all go back to guarding  from the spouse the balance of the funds..  My finally comment.. come clean and tell the truth.. BTW Howard did I read somewhere you have two PGXL amps?

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    David, you may think Flex is not telling the truth, up to you. They have begun shipping to all customers.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am sure they are very busy, and will contact all of you or post here when they have time. But to say they are hiding something is just silly.
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Really getting tired of filthy rich Hams, who gave a company $7,000.00 for a product that was not even designed yet alone built, whining about where their Amp is.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well, you didn't have to read this post.  Nobody forced you too.

I wasn't complaining about the amp.  I was complaining about not getting a response from a message sent to Flex.  Some people have reading comprehension problems. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.