Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Master 6000 - aggregating spots and filtering with Logger32

Grant Kesselring
Grant Kesselring Member ✭✭
edited January 2022 in Third-Party Software
Can someone help me with some Slice Master 6000 settings?  What I would like to do is aggregate my own CW Skimmer, WSJT spots along with spots from telnet DX cluster.  Then, I would like to pass all those spots to Logger32 so they can be cross-checked against my log for filtering/coloring based on need.  Finally, I would like to pass the filtered spots back to SmartSDR panadapter. 

I'm running:
SmartSDR v2.4.9
Flex6600M
SliceMaster 6000 v0.10.5h
Logger32 3.50.377

Here are my current Slice Master 6000 settings:

At this point, WSJT or CW Skimmer is running and decoding calls.  I've specified a Telnet spot source and WSJT and enabled aggregation server port 7300.  The last step is configuring Logger32 to communicate with the aggregation server, but I do not know exactly how to do this in Logger32 Telnet window.  I tried setting up a telnet connection like this so that the port matches with the aggregation server port 7300:

This brings all the cwskimmer/wsjt spots into the Telnet window in Logger32, however I am not getting any cluster telnet spots.  What am I missing?

Grant K1KD

Answers

• Andy - KU7T
    Andy - KU7T Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am not sure if SliceMaster can do this but you need to merge the two spot feeds into one before you connect with your logging program.

I use wintelnetX for this. In my case it merges external telnet cluster and my local spots coming from SliceMaster (which could merge spots from multiple slices) into one feed. Create yourself a config file for WintelnetX and you never have to set anything up. I even launch it from a batch script, so its all automatic.

Andy
    KU7T
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Grant,

Your Slice Master setup looks right.  In Logger32, have you enabled the UDP spot broadcast?  The option is on a right click menu in Logger32's DX Spots window.

--Don
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Grant,

I think I missed your question, and that Andy got it.

Logger32 can read spots from more than one source. In the Cluster window, you have already added Slice Master as a source.  I usually put it on the 'localhost' tab and use the 'telnet' tab to connect to the cluster.  Logger32 will then display spots from both the cluster and from Slice Master.  If Logger32's UDP spot broadcast is also enabled and if Slice Master is also listening for those broadcasts via the N1MM+ settings, all should be well.

Andy's suggestion of using wintelnetx will also let you connect to both Slice Master and the cluster at the same time and then let Logger32 connect to it.  I use VE7CC's CCUser program for the same purpose.

The next release of Slice Master will support an option to combine it's internally collected spots with the spots that it gathers from its external spot sources.  For now though, you'll either need to configure Logger32 for both the cluster and Slice Master or use a second program to combine the sources.

--Don

• Grant Kesselring
    edited January 2019
    Don,

Thanks for your feedback.  As you pointed out, Logger32 can combine the locally generated spots with the cluster spots.  When I configured the 'telnet' tab to connect to the cluster and the 'localhost' tab to connect to Slice Master, I am now receiving spots from two slices of CW skimmer plus cluster spots into Logger32.  Neat!

The thing that was tripping me up was the concept of the aggregation server in Slice Master.  I assumed that it was aggregating all internal AND external spots.

I apply some filtering to the spots once they are in Logger32.  I've enabled the UDP spot broadcast in Logger32 and enabled 'Listen for N1MM Logger+ Broadcasts' in Slice Master.  Do I understand correctly that calls displayed in SmartSDR panadapter will be only those that have been filtered by Logger32 filter settings?  That is what I'm hoping it will do.

Thanks, Grant
  • Grant Kesselring
    edited January 2019
    Andy, thanks for the tip about using wintelnetX.  I will check that out.

Grant K1KD
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Grant,

When I first implemented the aggregation server all spots were internal. There were no external spot sources.  Later, with the bandmap overlays and then Flex's spot API, it was pretty clear there was a need for external spot sources too.  I was a bit concerned about spots coming in from a logger then going back out the aggregation server to a logger that then sent them back in again.  So... only sending out the "internal" spots seemed like the right thing to do. 

Now of course, folks trying to cut down on using third party programs, are asking why have two spot aggregators? Why doesnt Slice Master send all the spots out the aggregation server.  I've eliminated the looping issue, so now it will (next release).

Normally, Slice Master will first display the spots and then send them out the aggregation server.  If Logger32 sends the spot back in, Slice Master will re-display it with color and possibly other information added.  If Logger32 is filtering the spots and not sending all of them back to Slice Master and you would prefer to only see the spots that Logger32 sends back, uncheck the 'Show internal spots' option in the Bandmap section of Slice Master's setting tab.  With that option disabled, you'll only see the spots that Logger32 sends in.

--Don

• Grant Kesselring
    edited January 2019
    Perfect!  I'm getting only the filtered spots on the panadapter now.  Great program!
    Grant
  • Bernd DL9YAJ
    Bernd DL9YAJ Member ✭✭

Last entry is 2 years ago. Now i tried nearly the same configuration than Grant but couldnt get it running. Some days ago i tried it with Slicemaster v0.10.7 without success. Two days ago i downloaded the new version v0.10.8 offered by Don, same problem!

At the moment...Configured a localhost for slicemaster at 127.0.0.1:7285 (in L32) an the telnet aggregation server also on port 7285

Also, I configured a telnet port to telnet cluster db0sue.de:8000 (in L32)

Now i can see all the spots from the telnetcluster db0sue and also the WSJTX-spots in the DX-Spots window in L32, all the spots are filtered against my logbook, BUT only the WSJTX spots are displayed in the SSDR panadapter.

At the moment i received the message "ERROR:invalid XML in N1MM UDP packet" in the protocol window of slicemaster. "send call to N1MM Logger +" in the bandmap menu is enabled. L32 UDP socket is listening on port 2237 (standard in L32). In slicemaster port 2237 is not accepted in the N1MM Logger+ menu listen, so i tried the port 12061(standard dx-spot port in L32). But no success. What is my mistake?

73s Bernd, DL9YAJ

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭

Bernd,

Please send a email to the address on the Slice Master start screen and include a zip file with your configuration and logs. It's pretty easy, just navigate to

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\K1DBO

then right-click on slice-master and select 'Send to\Compressed (zipped) folder'. This will create a zip file that you can then attach to your email.

--Don

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.