Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Windows 7 Brick update

Neal_K3NC
Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in New Ideas
There is a Windows 7 update that can cause disruption for some users, beware!
https://borncity.com/win/2019/01/10/update-kb971033-bricks-windows-7-genuine-0xc004f200/

Comments

• Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Looks like it only relates to environments using KMS key management.  This is usually a corporate environment running their own activation servers.   Nasty issue for them, but shouldn't bother too many Flex users.
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    NOTICE !! There are NO WINDOWS 7 UPDATES FROM MICROSOFT and updates from anyplace else for WIN7 should be VERY suspect !! The only updates you are likely to see on a WIN7 machine might be your antivirus program. WIN7 is very vulnerable to malicious attacks ! Please upgrade to a current OS or take your WIN7 (or older OS) off the internet for your own (and others) protection.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I believe that is incorrect.
    Microsoft will provide extended support for Windows 7 until January 14, 2020.
  • Mike
    Mike Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I stand corrected. Thank you for the update.

Mike / W8DN
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Glad to be of help.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Um, er, ah, not sure how to say this;  but it is not only corporate environment that is running KMS.   Many of the "more technical" home users that don't like paying for MS Office are also running the KMS service on their home desktop machine :-)

Disclaimer:  This is obviously third-party unsubstantiated hear-say, and could not
    possibly apply to me since I am running Windows 10 and fixing my DAX drivers 
    monthly :-)  :-)

That said, I also run Linux and Open Office, so who cares anyway...
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Flexer's

Be careful when consuming your FUD!!! image

#FlexRadio IRC chat

For real-time discussions

SDRgadgets

User-created documentation.
               Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Win 7 is updated monthly.
  • N8SDR
    N8SDR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    First Tuesday of the Month like all other windows OS(patch Tuesday) extended support won't end until January 14, 2020
  • Lance Rasmussen
    edited January 2019
    Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 received updates this Tuesday.  And..... unfortunately broke sharing of folders.  Rolling the updates back or applying a registry entry fix took care of it.  But was a pain loosing access to my server for a while.
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It's good to see that MickeySoft has consistently in-consistent "Qality Control" (sic)
    across all product lines....

Cheers
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Win7 is no more a security risk than Win10 is stable. Turn off Javascript, use adblocking, and practice general safe computing sanitation, and you are good to go.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Wasn't someone here writing what might be called "SmartSDR for Linux"?

I get all tingly thinking about a reliable version that I know will run when I boot.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, Walt - K1ZF "claimed" to be doing the work. Then about 2 years ago he stopped posting on the Community entirely. A mystery! I can't even view his profile now, maybe he deleted that too. Does this info help with the tingles??  

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Walt's callsign is KZ1F, not K1ZF. I don't think he ever published his program, but his plan was to release a cross-platform (Android, Windows, Linux) application like SSDR.
    Doug K4DSP

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Doug

Correct, I typo'd his callsign in my post.

#FlexRadio IRC chat

SDRgadgets

Volunteer!!

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.