Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

power genius

Wayne Schonfeld
Wayne Schonfeld Member ✭✭
We are a week away from the end of the year.  Any update on the power genius shipments as well as the promised tuner genius.  I ordered mine in June, 2017

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Based on your order date it's probably safe to assume not to many PG orders have been filled so far. (With a Dec '17 order date I'm depressed thinking how far down I must be on the waiting list.)  Hopefully we'll start hearing about new shipments going out in January. 

Odds are FRS is probably either on a skeleton crew/holiday schedule, or perhaps totally shut down for the holidays.  No doubt, a well deserved break too.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Gerald released a PGXL email on Dec 14th telling us they are ramping up to fill out orders. If you are not on the PGXL mailing list contact FRS to get yourself added. There may even be copy posted here one the community forum. As for your particular order and delivery projections you can always contact FRS to check. I’m hoping my second PGXL will be released soon, so I can have one at each of my QTHs. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    good luck.... Glad I didnt order one ....  
  • Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am on the PGXL mailing list and have seen Gerald's latest info,  And I did check with FRS months ago about my order.  The answer was, prior to the end of 2018.  I seriously doubt that will occur, so I'm not inclined to ask again.  Most of us don't mind waiting and appreciate the updates, but what we'd really like to know is, our realistic ship date.

We all share in your hopes that your second PGXL will be released soon.
    (Where is a rolling eyes emoji when ya need it? :)
  • ON7NQ - Danny
    ON7NQ - Danny Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Contacted FRS twice about the PGXL , pre-ordered mine 09/2017...not a single mail back from FRS. Feel like left in the dark . Don't mind waiting but didn't expect being ignored.

• Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Still waiting here as well.  Ordered mine in May of 2017
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Makes sense that other than Alpha team units we’re all waiting, doesn’t it? I deferred my second unit when selected as an add-on Alpha team tester, as I had put deposits on two PGXLs the night they were announced. Figured another would get a chance to participate as a tester by putting the second unit off. For those of us waiting I can say my test unit has met all expectations and I’m ready for my second PGXL. No reservations. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I ended up purchasing an Elecraft KPA 1500 and love it as I couldn't wait any more for the PG-XL. It interfaces beautifully with the Elecraft cable for the Flex.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Same here SPE 2K-FA works great even remotely with RemoteRig RC-1216H unit over WAN/LAN with FlexRadio 6600M And custom remote cable by them to interface between Flex and SPE units - Works Great !!
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Interesting.  I'm looking forward to hearing more about that. 
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I'm not sure that mentioning waiting for your second PGXL is a good idea considering that the original poster stated that they have been waiting for a year and a half for their first one

It's not being very sensitive to the frustration that others seem to be experiencing.
  • Wayne Schonfeld
    edited December 2018
    I wish Flex would be public with the number of people on the list and the expected wait.  It reminds me of TESLA.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited December 2018
    Works great with Elecraft and SPE Amps For both Remote WAN and LAN use !! The new Version 2 of the the new SPE 1.5K Amp Uses Soldered down devices to the copper Heat spreaders that Allow Continuous Duty on FT8 at full power legal limit Is now possible ! 73 Mike FYI more details http://www.spetlc.com/images/press/SP...
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I was one of the first to get the PGXL.  It made way too much fan noise for me.  I understand that they needed to do that to get 1500 continuous output.  I  sent mine back.  I have a SPE 2K and just bought a SPE 1.5K both of which make very little fan noise and put out all the power I need.  
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have heard the same noise complaint about the Elecraft KPA1500.  Apparently they put out a new firmware that keeps the fan speed low unless needed.  Hopefully Flex will do the same thing.  

I am usually very patient but it's been 18 months since I ordered my Power Genius.  If it wasn't for the free antenna tuner (which now has been delayed) I would cancel my order.  I love my Flex equipment but they really jumped the gun on taking orders on the amp.  
  • Wayne Schonfeld
    edited December 2018
    Many of us would appreciate if the "Beta" group who have had the amp for some time would comment on fan noise.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Beta testers rarely comment on results. I was a beta tester for Direct TV Now and my NDA clearly stated that I was not to disclose any test results to anyone except the testing team
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2018
    I have a KPA-1500. I have absolutely no fan noise whatsoever. I never hear them running even though I can feel the airflow when they come on.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It has been reported a few times that the fans in the PG are not quiet. But remember this amp is build to commercial standards, and it has 40W built in dummy load the other amps do not have that are being cooled.
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    One beta tester comment on fan noise that I ran across was along the lines "it's there all right, but not objectionable", which is also my opinion.   Since my amp is in Austin for the 6M fix, I haven't had a chance to try the new PG XL firmware that was released earlier this month, but I did have a chance to test an intermediate firmware version that was not released, and I found a slight but noticeable decrease in fan noise at the lowest level (a decrease of about 3 db, measured with my sound level meter). 

I strongly doubt PG XL will ever be a "silent" amp at high power, but as the firmware is still being tweaked, there may be room for further noise reduction, at lower power at least.  In any case, my fallback plan was to move the amp from a lower shelf next to my desk to another location if the fan and relay noise (no pin diodes in PG XL for isolation and reliability at high power reasons) was too much for me.  Moving the amp further away is easy given the tight integration with Flex radios and LAN connectivity, but haven't found that to be necessary.  Highly subjective, of course.

I'm sure this topic will come up again, and again, as production ramps up.  But overall I've been quite happy with mine.  No regrets.  I'm really looking forward to some independent test results.

Howard
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Wow, I figured all the 6M fixes would be done by now.  I guess they shipped more units than I thought.  
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I was told mine was in the last batch to be recalled, so they should be about done.
  • Wayne Schonfeld
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for the info-I appreciate it
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited January 2019
    Wish the PGXL used these devices at 65V https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-shee... Expect to see these 1K80 devices soon from the Competition

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.